Around 200 people were evacuated from a hotel following reports of a fire.
Firefighters were called to the Crown Plaza in Langley Drive, Crawley, at around 7pm yesterday after people in the building said they could smell smoke on the third floor.
Guests and staff waited outside while crews searched the floors and bedrooms but the source of the smell could not be traced.
Crews from Crawley, Turners Hill and Horsham were called to the incident.
A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were at the scene for about an hour to check all the bedrooms and floors before the building was declared safe."
- Live blog: Brighton and Hove City Council budget 2017/18
- Storm Doris: Live updates as 70mph winds are expected in Sussex
- Cyclist, 68, dies after being found with serious head injuries
- Exclusion zone put in place after 'bomb' found near leisure centre
- UPDATED: Lady Colin Campbell found guilty over three-car pile-up