Around 200 people were evacuated from a hotel following reports of a fire.
Firefighters were called to the Crown Plaza in Langley Drive, Crawley, at around 7pm yesterday after people in the building said they could smell smoke on the third floor.
Guests and staff waited outside while crews searched the floors and bedrooms but the source of the smell could not be traced.
Crews from Crawley, Turners Hill and Horsham were called to the incident.
A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were at the scene for about an hour to check all the bedrooms and floors before the building was declared safe."
- Man tries to lure school boy, 12, into car and other students have been targeted too
- Warning after thieves try to steal pet dog
- Fear park could become playing field for academy
- Fire-ravaged pier put on 'at risk' register of threatened buildings
- Brighton and Hove Ukip candidate kicked and shoved by man at party stall