Around 200 people were evacuated from a hotel following reports of a fire.
Firefighters were called to the Crown Plaza in Langley Drive, Crawley, at around 7pm yesterday after people in the building said they could smell smoke on the third floor.
Guests and staff waited outside while crews searched the floors and bedrooms but the source of the smell could not be traced.
Crews from Crawley, Turners Hill and Horsham were called to the incident.
A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were at the scene for about an hour to check all the bedrooms and floors before the building was declared safe."
- TV presenter Dan Hill lauded as Britain’s most indulgent parent but mother of his two other children claims he owes her thousands
- Residents noise complaints about Brighton's Open Market force stallholders to shelve 7am opening time
- Brighton and Hove City Council accused of laying down a "welcome mat" for travellers
- The changing room thief caught after victim turns detective to track him down using iPhone app
- Brighton 'at crisis point': City’s heritage and architecture victim of wanton neglect