Around 200 people were evacuated from a hotel following reports of a fire.
Firefighters were called to the Crown Plaza in Langley Drive, Crawley, at around 7pm yesterday after people in the building said they could smell smoke on the third floor.
Guests and staff waited outside while crews searched the floors and bedrooms but the source of the smell could not be traced.
Crews from Crawley, Turners Hill and Horsham were called to the incident.
A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “We were at the scene for about an hour to check all the bedrooms and floors before the building was declared safe."
- Good weather, roadworks and a Friday afternoon in half term brings Brighton to a standstill
- Chef stands up for cannabis users in court
- Newhaven to Dieppe cross channel ferry route to continue in 2015 as new operator signs up
- Poker ace is flush as his winnings top £1m mark
- Readers' donations pour in for Ashanti