Carnival organisers are celebrating after hitting their "kickstarter" fundraising target with almost two days to spare.
Kemp Town Carnival organisers have achieved their target of £3,000 to cover the core costs of this year’s event after 95 backers responded to their call for extra funding in the past month.
Seven backers pledged a minimum of £100 to become carnival patrons but no deep-pocketed supporters could find the £500 donation necessary to be crowned the carnival King and Queen.
The vibrant carnival, featuring five stages of live music and dance as well as magicians, children’s entertainment, live graffiti art, creative workshops, tug’o’war, Morris Dancers and much more, will be held around St George’s Road, Brighton, between noon and 6pm on Saturday.
The overall cost of the carnival this year is around £48,000 and more fundraising will be held on the day and at an afterparty.
The fundraising bid still has a few more days to run so to add to the carnival’s coffers visit www.kickstarter.com/projects/612486124/kemp-town-carnival-2014.
- Motorist loses their way at Vogue Gyratory and ends up in... the cycle lane
- After three crashes in five minutes, new £600k cycle lane branded a ‘death trap’
- Two pedestrians seriously injured after being hit by a lorry
- Santa arrested after gluing himself to doors of Barclays Bank
- Six vehicle accident on A23 causes delays for rush hour motorists