Heatwave health warning for Sussex

Heatwave health warning for Sussex

Heatwave health warning for Sussex

First published in News
Last updated

A heatwave warning has been issued for Sussex.

The Met Office has declared a Level 2 Heath-health alert for Friday through to Sunday morning for across the south east and other parts of England.

The warning is triggered when the Met Office forecasts there is a 60% or higher chance of temperatures being high enough on at least two consecutive days and the intervening night to have a significant effect on health.

The highest temperatures are likely on Friday, followed by a very humid night.
Heavy thunderstorms are also predicted for Saturday, which may lower temperatures slightly, but it will still be very humid.

Paul Cosford, director for health protection at Public Health England, said: “While many people enjoy hot weather, high temperatures can be dangerous, especially for people who may be particularly vulnerable such as older people, young children and those with serious illnesses.

“Everyone can enjoy the sun safely by keeping out of the heat at the hottest time of the day, avoiding sunburn and staying hydrated with plenty of cool drinks.

“Older people and those with long-term illnesses are particularly vulnerable to the effects of very hot weather, so it’s important to look out for them and keep indoor areas as cool as possible.”

Met Office deputy chief meteorologist Steve Ramsdale said: “We’ve got hot and humid air moving up from the continent which will see temperatures rise through to the weekend, with some high day and night-time temperatures expected by Friday.

“The humidity will make it feel close, muggy and uncomfortable for many in the heat and people should take steps to keep cool – particularly across the areas where we have issued a heat health alert.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:50pm Wed 16 Jul 14

maxiboy_ says...

More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?
More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that? maxiboy_
  • Score: -4

5:45pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

maxiboy_ wrote:
More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?
Well, the one before that is one currently dead.
[quote][p][bold]maxiboy_[/bold] wrote: More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?[/p][/quote]Well, the one before that is one currently dead. stevo!!
  • Score: -3

5:52pm Wed 16 Jul 14

chrismilo says...

Anyone caught using a hosepipe after friday will be imprisoned for life
Anyone caught using a hosepipe after friday will be imprisoned for life chrismilo
  • Score: 11

8:20pm Wed 16 Jul 14

FatherTed11 says...

Thanks goodness for the advice. I was despairing about what to do with all the sun and heat. I'll be sure to not sit bollok-naked in the garden all day.
Thanks goodness for the advice. I was despairing about what to do with all the sun and heat. I'll be sure to not sit bollok-naked in the garden all day. FatherTed11
  • Score: 12

10:37pm Wed 16 Jul 14

maxiboy_ says...

stevo!! wrote:
maxiboy_ wrote:
More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?
Well, the one before that is one currently dead.
But when they were alive they defeated the NAZI's - something your generation would be incapable of due to health and safety.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]maxiboy_[/bold] wrote: More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?[/p][/quote]Well, the one before that is one currently dead.[/p][/quote]But when they were alive they defeated the NAZI's - something your generation would be incapable of due to health and safety. maxiboy_
  • Score: 2

10:44pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

maxiboy_ wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
maxiboy_ wrote:
More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?
Well, the one before that is one currently dead.
But when they were alive they defeated the NAZI's - something your generation would be incapable of due to health and safety.
I wasn't talking about that generation, but the one before.

I'm not aware that Health and Safety prevented the successful defeat of Saddam Hussein, but at this time of night, I don't expect you'll be able to respond.
[quote][p][bold]maxiboy_[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]maxiboy_[/bold] wrote: More nanny state rubbish coming out of the mainstream media. However did the last generation cope and the one before that?[/p][/quote]Well, the one before that is one currently dead.[/p][/quote]But when they were alive they defeated the NAZI's - something your generation would be incapable of due to health and safety.[/p][/quote]I wasn't talking about that generation, but the one before. I'm not aware that Health and Safety prevented the successful defeat of Saddam Hussein, but at this time of night, I don't expect you'll be able to respond. stevo!!
  • Score: -11

11:18pm Wed 16 Jul 14

hubby says...

It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so.
It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.
It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so. It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business. hubby
  • Score: 2

11:49pm Wed 16 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

hubby wrote:
It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so.
It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.
Excellent!

I'm riding down there next week - can't wait!
[quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so. It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.[/p][/quote]Excellent! I'm riding down there next week - can't wait! stevo!!
  • Score: -5

9:45am Thu 17 Jul 14

Roundbill says...

I'm sure your donkey is less than elated, though.
I'm sure your donkey is less than elated, though. Roundbill
  • Score: 0

8:41pm Thu 17 Jul 14

her professional says...

stevo!! wrote:
hubby wrote:
It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so.
It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.
Excellent!

I'm riding down there next week - can't wait!
Is that a promise? Please try and find somewhere with no internet.
[quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so. It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.[/p][/quote]Excellent! I'm riding down there next week - can't wait![/p][/quote]Is that a promise? Please try and find somewhere with no internet. her professional
  • Score: 0

8:53pm Thu 17 Jul 14

stevo!! says...

her professional wrote:
stevo!! wrote:
hubby wrote:
It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so.
It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.
Excellent!

I'm riding down there next week - can't wait!
Is that a promise? Please try and find somewhere with no internet.
Is that because you have difficulty not reading my posts?
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]stevo!![/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hubby[/bold] wrote: It has been above 30c in my part of Spain for the past month or so. It will probably hit 40c in August. We still go about our daily business.[/p][/quote]Excellent! I'm riding down there next week - can't wait![/p][/quote]Is that a promise? Please try and find somewhere with no internet.[/p][/quote]Is that because you have difficulty not reading my posts? stevo!!
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree