Brighton beach rivals Bondi and Ipanema

Brighton beach rivals Bondi and Ipanema

Brighton beach rivals Bondi and Ipanema

First published in News
Last updated

It may not have a lot of sand but Brighton’s beach is one of the best in the world according to a new study.

Brighton beach is just behind the famed sandy stretches of Rio De Janeiro’s Ipanema Beach, Bondi Beach in Sydney and Waikiki beach in Honolulu according to American broadcaster CNN.

The city’s seafront was praised for its “hip urban energy” with plenty of flesh on display by way of “visual stimulus” and blessed with superb eating, drinking and nightclubs.

Worldwide visitors were warned though that the beach “slopes steeply” into the sea and the lack of a Blue Flag status for the seawater.

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:30am Mon 4 Aug 14

rogerthefish says...

My god which planet is this organisation on? having just come back from Blackpool at least it's sand there, I can't really think of a worse beach than Brighton with all the rubbish, gum and tattoed yobs down from London leaving beer cans everywhere.

Are these people mad..
My god which planet is this organisation on? having just come back from Blackpool at least it's sand there, I can't really think of a worse beach than Brighton with all the rubbish, gum and tattoed yobs down from London leaving beer cans everywhere. Are these people mad.. rogerthefish
  • Score: 49

10:31am Mon 4 Aug 14

her professional says...

Can't be true, I've read on here that it's a run down expensive dump recently trashed by "the gays". I'm sure the Argus bloggers will soon put the record straight, meanwhile everyone else will carry on enjoying our fab City.
Can't be true, I've read on here that it's a run down expensive dump recently trashed by "the gays". I'm sure the Argus bloggers will soon put the record straight, meanwhile everyone else will carry on enjoying our fab City. her professional
  • Score: -19

10:32am Mon 4 Aug 14

her professional says...

her professional wrote:
Can't be true, I've read on here that it's a run down expensive dump recently trashed by "the gays". I'm sure the Argus bloggers will soon put the record straight, meanwhile everyone else will carry on enjoying our fab City.
Sorry, I was 1 minute too late, they've already started!
[quote][p][bold]her professional[/bold] wrote: Can't be true, I've read on here that it's a run down expensive dump recently trashed by "the gays". I'm sure the Argus bloggers will soon put the record straight, meanwhile everyone else will carry on enjoying our fab City.[/p][/quote]Sorry, I was 1 minute too late, they've already started! her professional
  • Score: -13

10:52am Mon 4 Aug 14

inmegarden says...

What I don't understand is the 'sand good , pebbles bad' rhetoric.
Sand gets EVERYwhere.
What I don't understand is the 'sand good , pebbles bad' rhetoric. Sand gets EVERYwhere. inmegarden
  • Score: 22

11:04am Mon 4 Aug 14

Nosfaratu says...

Recently visited Jersey (Channel Island not New York) and all the beaches there are far better than Brighton.

I suspect this was a survey by the local University as “hip urban energy” as a plus would correspond with their blinkered outlook.

To even put this Article on the website shows a lack of perspective.
Recently visited Jersey (Channel Island not New York) and all the beaches there are far better than Brighton. I suspect this was a survey by the local University as “hip urban energy” as a plus would correspond with their blinkered outlook. To even put this Article on the website shows a lack of perspective. Nosfaratu
  • Score: 19

11:05am Mon 4 Aug 14

hayward62 says...

What a load of balls !
What a load of balls ! hayward62
  • Score: 27

11:08am Mon 4 Aug 14

qm says...

"with plenty of flesh on display by way of “visual stimulus” and blessed with superb eating, drinking and nightclubs"

Does not appear in CNN's review!!!
"with plenty of flesh on display by way of “visual stimulus” and blessed with superb eating, drinking and nightclubs" Does not appear in CNN's review!!! qm
  • Score: 7

11:10am Mon 4 Aug 14

qm says...

inmegarden wrote:
What I don't understand is the 'sand good , pebbles bad' rhetoric.
Sand gets EVERYwhere.
So do pebbles if you don't 'buckle up' ;)
[quote][p][bold]inmegarden[/bold] wrote: What I don't understand is the 'sand good , pebbles bad' rhetoric. Sand gets EVERYwhere.[/p][/quote]So do pebbles if you don't 'buckle up' ;) qm
  • Score: 7

11:16am Mon 4 Aug 14

s&k says...

I prefer hip-replacement suburban ennui.
I prefer hip-replacement suburban ennui. s&k
  • Score: 0

11:17am Mon 4 Aug 14

stevensavage says...

i think someones telling porkie pies and what planet do they think were from.
i think someones telling porkie pies and what planet do they think were from. stevensavage
  • Score: 10

11:39am Mon 4 Aug 14

beano mcbean says...

Personally I prefer Newhaven. No rubbish, nice seals. Only problem is we can't get on to the beach.
Personally I prefer Newhaven. No rubbish, nice seals. Only problem is we can't get on to the beach. beano mcbean
  • Score: 16

2:17pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Fairfax Aches says...

Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.
Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway. Fairfax Aches
  • Score: 4

3:15pm Mon 4 Aug 14

G Wiley says...

Sorry to disappoint city-sycophant 'her professional' but AFAIK the CNN list only applies to cities with beaches.

But it was very kind of her to immediately jump to the defence of the city whilst HJarrs is at work.

In the UK I think you will find that Brighton and Hove is one of only very few cities with a beach (Portsmouth and Bangor are also on the list) and world-wide there are probably not many actual cities with beaches.
Sorry to disappoint city-sycophant 'her professional' but AFAIK the CNN list only applies to cities with beaches. But it was very kind of her to immediately jump to the defence of the city whilst HJarrs is at work. In the UK I think you will find that Brighton and Hove is one of only very few cities with a beach (Portsmouth and Bangor are also on the list) and world-wide there are probably not many actual cities with beaches. G Wiley
  • Score: 7

3:20pm Mon 4 Aug 14

G Wiley says...

Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c
om/2013/05/28/travel
/100-best-beaches/in
dex.html).

Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list.

In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.
Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16. G Wiley
  • Score: 7

4:18pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Mootch says...

G Wiley wrote:
Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.
That's last year's list!

Brighton is number 4 on this year's list:

http://edition.cnn.c
om/2014/07/31/travel
/best-city-beaches/i
ndex.html
[quote][p][bold]G Wiley[/bold] wrote: Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.[/p][/quote]That's last year's list! Brighton is number 4 on this year's list: http://edition.cnn.c om/2014/07/31/travel /best-city-beaches/i ndex.html Mootch
  • Score: 5

4:31pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Mootch says...

Fairfax Aches wrote:
Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.
If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus.

And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.
[quote][p][bold]Fairfax Aches[/bold] wrote: Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.[/p][/quote]If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus. And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others. Mootch
  • Score: 9

4:35pm Mon 4 Aug 14

qm says...

Mootch wrote:
G Wiley wrote:
Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.
That's last year's list!

Brighton is number 4 on this year's list:

http://edition.cnn.c

om/2014/07/31/travel

/best-city-beaches/i

ndex.html
Yup! It's the little bit that says "2013/05/28" in 'G Wiley"'s link that leads to the suggestion that it might just be for 2013 ;)
[quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G Wiley[/bold] wrote: Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.[/p][/quote]That's last year's list! Brighton is number 4 on this year's list: http://edition.cnn.c om/2014/07/31/travel /best-city-beaches/i ndex.html[/p][/quote]Yup! It's the little bit that says "2013/05/28" in 'G Wiley"'s link that leads to the suggestion that it might just be for 2013 ;) qm
  • Score: 2

4:42pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Nikski says...

beano mcbean wrote:
Personally I prefer Newhaven. No rubbish, nice seals. Only problem is we can't get on to the beach.
You can: East Beach, much nicer than the 'West Beach' which is actually not a beach but part of the harbour. Also way better than Brighton, but I'll admit not on a par with Bondi or Ipanema!
[quote][p][bold]beano mcbean[/bold] wrote: Personally I prefer Newhaven. No rubbish, nice seals. Only problem is we can't get on to the beach.[/p][/quote]You can: East Beach, much nicer than the 'West Beach' which is actually not a beach but part of the harbour. Also way better than Brighton, but I'll admit not on a par with Bondi or Ipanema! Nikski
  • Score: 2

4:51pm Mon 4 Aug 14

G Wiley says...

Mootch wrote:
G Wiley wrote:
Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.
That's last year's list!

Brighton is number 4 on this year's list:

http://edition.cnn.c

om/2014/07/31/travel

/best-city-beaches/i

ndex.html
@mootch - if you check the page referenced by my URL it says it was updated in April 2014 and covers ALL beaches worldwide and not just cities with beaches which is a very small subset of beaches.

Alternatively could Brighton and Hove really have risen at least 100 places in one year?
[quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G Wiley[/bold] wrote: Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.[/p][/quote]That's last year's list! Brighton is number 4 on this year's list: http://edition.cnn.c om/2014/07/31/travel /best-city-beaches/i ndex.html[/p][/quote]@mootch - if you check the page referenced by my URL it says it was updated in April 2014 and covers ALL beaches worldwide and not just cities with beaches which is a very small subset of beaches. Alternatively could Brighton and Hove really have risen at least 100 places in one year? G Wiley
  • Score: 1

4:55pm Mon 4 Aug 14

G Wiley says...

qm wrote:
Mootch wrote:
G Wiley wrote:
Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.
That's last year's list!

Brighton is number 4 on this year's list:

http://edition.cnn.c


om/2014/07/31/travel


/best-city-beaches/i


ndex.html
Yup! It's the little bit that says "2013/05/28" in 'G Wiley"'s link that leads to the suggestion that it might just be for 2013 ;)
@qm - that is just the url - the page content says updated April 2014 :-)

Can you find a different CNN page for 2014 that includes ALL beaches worldwide?
[quote][p][bold]qm[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G Wiley[/bold] wrote: Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.[/p][/quote]That's last year's list! Brighton is number 4 on this year's list: http://edition.cnn.c om/2014/07/31/travel /best-city-beaches/i ndex.html[/p][/quote]Yup! It's the little bit that says "2013/05/28" in 'G Wiley"'s link that leads to the suggestion that it might just be for 2013 ;)[/p][/quote]@qm - that is just the url - the page content says updated April 2014 :-) Can you find a different CNN page for 2014 that includes ALL beaches worldwide? G Wiley
  • Score: -1

4:58pm Mon 4 Aug 14

her professional says...

G Wiley wrote:
Sorry to disappoint city-sycophant 'her professional' but AFAIK the CNN list only applies to cities with beaches.

But it was very kind of her to immediately jump to the defence of the city whilst HJarrs is at work.

In the UK I think you will find that Brighton and Hove is one of only very few cities with a beach (Portsmouth and Bangor are also on the list) and world-wide there are probably not many actual cities with beaches.
And your point is?
[quote][p][bold]G Wiley[/bold] wrote: Sorry to disappoint city-sycophant 'her professional' but AFAIK the CNN list only applies to cities with beaches. But it was very kind of her to immediately jump to the defence of the city whilst HJarrs is at work. In the UK I think you will find that Brighton and Hove is one of only very few cities with a beach (Portsmouth and Bangor are also on the list) and world-wide there are probably not many actual cities with beaches.[/p][/quote]And your point is? her professional
  • Score: -5

5:17pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Morpheus says...

Mootch wrote:
G Wiley wrote:
Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.
That's last year's list!

Brighton is number 4 on this year's list:

http://edition.cnn.c

om/2014/07/31/travel

/best-city-beaches/i

ndex.html
CNN doesn't seem to know where we are on the list. We are number 5 in the pictures and number 4 in the text because they missed one out.
[quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]G Wiley[/bold] wrote: Just checked the list of CNN 100 World's 100 best beaches (see http://edition.cnn.c om/2013/05/28/travel /100-best-beaches/in dex.html). Brighton (with or without Hove) is NOT on the list. In fact, Luskentyre Beach, Scotland is the only British beach listed and this is at number 16.[/p][/quote]That's last year's list! Brighton is number 4 on this year's list: http://edition.cnn.c om/2014/07/31/travel /best-city-beaches/i ndex.html[/p][/quote]CNN doesn't seem to know where we are on the list. We are number 5 in the pictures and number 4 in the text because they missed one out. Morpheus
  • Score: 1

6:10pm Mon 4 Aug 14

DCCCCCC says...

Whoever is responsible for this report is not well traveled!
Whoever is responsible for this report is not well traveled! DCCCCCC
  • Score: 2

7:25pm Mon 4 Aug 14

hoveguyactually says...

Well, if Brighton is 4th on the list, the others must be pretty awful.
Well, if Brighton is 4th on the list, the others must be pretty awful. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 3

10:42pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Robertostarlight says...

Mootch wrote:
Fairfax Aches wrote:
Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.
If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus.

And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.
'Methinks he protesteth to Mootch.' (sic).

A personal nerve touched by the sound of it.

Sorry Mootch, but the reporting and the even worse sub-editing recently has been pretty appalling.

I buy The Argus everyday out of habit and have done for many. many years, but it has declined in quality of news reporting in almost direct ratio to the continuous increase in price. The often hysterical headlines are really just silly and frequently inaccurate. Schoolboy stuff!

Frankly it is now a very poor newspaper and very poor value. It is however in a monopoly situation so I suppose the owner has no real need to take note of its declining standards.

I am guessing that financial considerations mean that low-paid, inexperienced staff are now employed and when the desperate Trimingham came back with his self-opinionated rubbish after his 'retirement' I nearly cancelled the subscription then and there. As a 'sage' his 'thyme' had long passed.

Having written this somewhat in haste, I have now convinced myself that the time has now come to stop my financial contibution to this now desperately sad organ. It only encourages them seemingly to continue the decline.
[quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fairfax Aches[/bold] wrote: Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.[/p][/quote]If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus. And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.[/p][/quote]'Methinks he protesteth to Mootch.' (sic). A personal nerve touched by the sound of it. Sorry Mootch, but the reporting and the even worse sub-editing recently has been pretty appalling. I buy The Argus everyday out of habit and have done for many. many years, but it has declined in quality of news reporting in almost direct ratio to the continuous increase in price. The often hysterical headlines are really just silly and frequently inaccurate. Schoolboy stuff! Frankly it is now a very poor newspaper and very poor value. It is however in a monopoly situation so I suppose the owner has no real need to take note of its declining standards. I am guessing that financial considerations mean that low-paid, inexperienced staff are now employed and when the desperate Trimingham came back with his self-opinionated rubbish after his 'retirement' I nearly cancelled the subscription then and there. As a 'sage' his 'thyme' had long passed. Having written this somewhat in haste, I have now convinced myself that the time has now come to stop my financial contibution to this now desperately sad organ. It only encourages them seemingly to continue the decline. Robertostarlight
  • Score: 4

11:16pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Quiterie says...

Mootch wrote:
Fairfax Aches wrote:
Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.
If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus.

And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.
Totally agree, it's important to get your facts straight.

By the way I think you'll find the Argus are based in Hollingbury rather than Hollingdean.

Hollingdean is where they put all the rubbish.

Come to think of it perhaps you were right in the first place ;-)
[quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fairfax Aches[/bold] wrote: Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.[/p][/quote]If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus. And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.[/p][/quote]Totally agree, it's important to get your facts straight. By the way I think you'll find the Argus are based in Hollingbury rather than Hollingdean. Hollingdean is where they put all the rubbish. Come to think of it perhaps you were right in the first place ;-) Quiterie
  • Score: 6

12:01pm Tue 5 Aug 14

ThinkBrighton says...

The only thing they have in common is water, Bondi beach is clean well policed, has all the facilities i.e showers, decent food outlets and a good beach, the same goes for the other beaches, except Brighton! which has very little of the services, but what they do have are over piced and low on quality.
The only thing they have in common is water, Bondi beach is clean well policed, has all the facilities i.e showers, decent food outlets and a good beach, the same goes for the other beaches, except Brighton! which has very little of the services, but what they do have are over piced and low on quality. ThinkBrighton
  • Score: 1

12:11pm Tue 5 Aug 14

BruceyBouns says...

It's all a highly subjective subject. If your idea of an amazingly beautiful picturesque beach is one with: steep pebbled slopes, concrete groynes, uncomfortable sunbathing/relaxing, water that hasn't been passed safe-for-swimming, litter, dogs and their sun-baked ****, all set nicely with a back-drop of very over-priced cafes pubs and bars with a very busy road and load of rundown hotels, oh, and about 100,000+ people crammed in around you enjoying the same wonderful experience, then Brighton beach is perfect for you. If those are the criteria for getting high up on the 'worlds best beach list' then Brighton will soon be topping out on that one.
It's all a highly subjective subject. If your idea of an amazingly beautiful picturesque beach is one with: steep pebbled slopes, concrete groynes, uncomfortable sunbathing/relaxing, water that hasn't been passed safe-for-swimming, litter, dogs and their sun-baked ****, all set nicely with a back-drop of very over-priced cafes pubs and bars with a very busy road and load of rundown hotels, oh, and about 100,000+ people crammed in around you enjoying the same wonderful experience, then Brighton beach is perfect for you. If those are the criteria for getting high up on the 'worlds best beach list' then Brighton will soon be topping out on that one. BruceyBouns
  • Score: 2

1:49pm Tue 5 Aug 14

LargeAndInCharge says...

Robertostarlight wrote:
Mootch wrote:
Fairfax Aches wrote:
Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.
If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus.

And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.
'Methinks he protesteth to Mootch.' (sic).

A personal nerve touched by the sound of it.

Sorry Mootch, but the reporting and the even worse sub-editing recently has been pretty appalling.

I buy The Argus everyday out of habit and have done for many. many years, but it has declined in quality of news reporting in almost direct ratio to the continuous increase in price. The often hysterical headlines are really just silly and frequently inaccurate. Schoolboy stuff!

Frankly it is now a very poor newspaper and very poor value. It is however in a monopoly situation so I suppose the owner has no real need to take note of its declining standards.

I am guessing that financial considerations mean that low-paid, inexperienced staff are now employed and when the desperate Trimingham came back with his self-opinionated rubbish after his 'retirement' I nearly cancelled the subscription then and there. As a 'sage' his 'thyme' had long passed.

Having written this somewhat in haste, I have now convinced myself that the time has now come to stop my financial contibution to this now desperately sad organ. It only encourages them seemingly to continue the decline.
Brilliant. I agree with you. This newspaper now resembles a watered down version of the Daily Mail.
[quote][p][bold]Robertostarlight[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mootch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Fairfax Aches[/bold] wrote: Usual quasi-gibberish journalistic detritus from the Argus…not satisfied with the usual nonsense their own journalists spew forth they can now do no better than report other's work as news. How on earth does CNN know what Brighton is like? Having said that I doubt the Argus staff would know having hardly set foot outside of Southampton too often anyway.[/p][/quote]If you don't think Brighton beach being named by one of the world's biggest media companies as the fourth best city beach in the world is worthy of note in Brighton's local paper, then I'm just glad you're not the editor of the Argus. And for info, the Argus reporters are based in Brighton (Hollingdean), it's the sub-editors who were shipped out to Southampton, so maybe you should get your own facts straight before criticising others.[/p][/quote]'Methinks he protesteth to Mootch.' (sic). A personal nerve touched by the sound of it. Sorry Mootch, but the reporting and the even worse sub-editing recently has been pretty appalling. I buy The Argus everyday out of habit and have done for many. many years, but it has declined in quality of news reporting in almost direct ratio to the continuous increase in price. The often hysterical headlines are really just silly and frequently inaccurate. Schoolboy stuff! Frankly it is now a very poor newspaper and very poor value. It is however in a monopoly situation so I suppose the owner has no real need to take note of its declining standards. I am guessing that financial considerations mean that low-paid, inexperienced staff are now employed and when the desperate Trimingham came back with his self-opinionated rubbish after his 'retirement' I nearly cancelled the subscription then and there. As a 'sage' his 'thyme' had long passed. Having written this somewhat in haste, I have now convinced myself that the time has now come to stop my financial contibution to this now desperately sad organ. It only encourages them seemingly to continue the decline.[/p][/quote]Brilliant. I agree with you. This newspaper now resembles a watered down version of the Daily Mail. LargeAndInCharge
  • Score: 0

7:57pm Tue 5 Aug 14

DarryS says...

The title made me giggle....
The title made me giggle.... DarryS
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree