LiveFirefighters deal with major blaze in Brighton

First published in News
Last updated
by

This live event has finished

Summary

  • East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called at 17:12
  • The fire was at a five storey property in Compton Avenue, Brighton
  • At its height, more than 20 firefighters tackled the blaze
  • Initial reports were that people were unaccounted for
  • Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus fought the fire
  • Water and foam was used to put out the flames
  • A fire investigation is now underway

7:14pm

No one was injured during the blaze.

7:13pm

Two fire engines remain at the scene with one fire officer who is investigating the cause of the blaze.

7:10pm

East Sussex Fire and Rescue service tell us the fire is now out.

6:54pm

East Sussex Fire and Rescue service tell us firefighters could be on the scene for some time.

6:37pm

6:30pm

A family of four is said to live in the affected property. The Argus believes they have all escaped the fire safely.

6:22pm

The Argus:

The Argus:

6:21pm

The Argus: Compton Road Fire

6:21pm

The Argus: Compton Road Fire

6:18pm

Firefighters have been tackling the blaze from inside the property and also the neighbouring home.

6:16pm

The fire is believed to have started in the basement of the property.

6:15pm

The Argus:

6:14pm

The Argus:

6:10pm

Two ambulances have also arrived in Compton Avenue.

6:10pm

A fifth fire engine has arrived on scene. The road has been closed by the police.

6:03pm

Video from the scene

5:58pm

The Argus:

5:58pm

The Argus:

5:56pm

The Argus:

5:54pm

The Argus:

5:53pm

The Argus:

5:52pm

The Argus:

5:51pm

The Argus:

5:50pm

The Argus:

5:50pm

Chris Daniels, 28, of Bath Street, Brighton, was in his flat when he heard glass smashing from in block behind his apartment.


He said: “They are smashing all the windows.

“I saw someone looking out of the back on the other side of the flats and noticed a big plume of black smoke coming from the windows."

He went around the block and stood on the other side of the street.

He said: “The smoke was hurting my throat while I was standing there.

“It smelled terrible.

“Some people took their children indoors.

“There were quite a lot of people here crying.

“It looked pretty bad when I turned up.

He said firefighters went into the house next-door to try to fight the fire.

 

5:49pm

The Argus:

5:43pm

Firefighters are using water and foam to tackle the blaze.

The Argus:

The Argus:

5:42pm

Firefighters are tackling the blaze wearing breathing apparatus.

The Argus:

The Argus:

5:41pm

The fire is at Compton Avenue.

5:39pm

Four fire engines have been sent to the scene. The initial reports are that people are in the building.

5:38pm

Karen Patient took this picture of the fire.

The Argus:

5:35pm

Firefighters are dealing with a fire at a five storey property in Compton Avenue in Brighton.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:31pm Fri 22 Aug 14

twonk says...

Doesn't look THAT major.
Doesn't look THAT major. twonk
  • Score: -27

6:40pm Fri 22 Aug 14

made up says...

People have been UN-accounted for. If they're unaccounted how do you know they exist?
People have been UN-accounted for. If they're unaccounted how do you know they exist? made up
  • Score: -17

9:15pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Ambo Guy says...

twonk wrote:
Doesn't look THAT major.
Oh is that what your X-ray eyes tell you does it? What was the fire like round the back? What was the fire like inside?
Think before you type.
[quote][p][bold]twonk[/bold] wrote: Doesn't look THAT major.[/p][/quote]Oh is that what your X-ray eyes tell you does it? What was the fire like round the back? What was the fire like inside? Think before you type. Ambo Guy
  • Score: 11

9:18pm Fri 22 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Ambo Guy wrote:
twonk wrote:
Doesn't look THAT major.
Oh is that what your X-ray eyes tell you does it? What was the fire like round the back? What was the fire like inside?
Think before you type.
The irony.
[quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]twonk[/bold] wrote: Doesn't look THAT major.[/p][/quote]Oh is that what your X-ray eyes tell you does it? What was the fire like round the back? What was the fire like inside? Think before you type.[/p][/quote]The irony. notslimjim
  • Score: -37

9:55pm Fri 22 Aug 14

Valentinian says...

notslimjim wrote:
Ambo Guy wrote:
twonk wrote:
Doesn't look THAT major.
Oh is that what your X-ray eyes tell you does it? What was the fire like round the back? What was the fire like inside?
Think before you type.
The irony.
PMSL I actually laughed out loud at that one! perfect response to the Berkshire Hunt
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ambo Guy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]twonk[/bold] wrote: Doesn't look THAT major.[/p][/quote]Oh is that what your X-ray eyes tell you does it? What was the fire like round the back? What was the fire like inside? Think before you type.[/p][/quote]The irony.[/p][/quote]PMSL I actually laughed out loud at that one! perfect response to the Berkshire Hunt Valentinian
  • Score: -5

12:04am Sat 23 Aug 14

yaddab says...

Fire Fighters have had a busy day, take care out there guys and gals...
Fire Fighters have had a busy day, take care out there guys and gals... yaddab
  • Score: 5

12:44am Sat 23 Aug 14

Motorcyclist says...

ESFRS try to improve their image when they are still hurting the widows and families.

Het a grip Des Prichatd. Grow a pair and tell Zurich to have some compassion.
ESFRS try to improve their image when they are still hurting the widows and families. Het a grip Des Prichatd. Grow a pair and tell Zurich to have some compassion. Motorcyclist
  • Score: 1

12:45am Sat 23 Aug 14

notslimjim says...

Motorcyclist wrote:
ESFRS try to improve their image when they are still hurting the widows and families.

Het a grip Des Prichatd. Grow a pair and tell Zurich to have some compassion.
Or they can just pay up, seeing as they are the ones who are liable for that money, NOT Zurich, as you were told earlier.
[quote][p][bold]Motorcyclist[/bold] wrote: ESFRS try to improve their image when they are still hurting the widows and families. Het a grip Des Prichatd. Grow a pair and tell Zurich to have some compassion.[/p][/quote]Or they can just pay up, seeing as they are the ones who are liable for that money, NOT Zurich, as you were told earlier. notslimjim
  • Score: -3

2:53pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Motorcyclist says...

notslimjim wrote:
Motorcyclist wrote:
ESFRS try to improve their image when they are still hurting the widows and families.

Het a grip Des Prichatd. Grow a pair and tell Zurich to have some compassion.
Or they can just pay up, seeing as they are the ones who are liable for that money, NOT Zurich, as you were told earlier.
You really are incredibly thick Stevo. ESFRS are liable but their insurers, Zurich, indemnify their liability. The insurers don't want to pay out. Is that simple enough for you? Probably not.....
[quote][p][bold]notslimjim[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Motorcyclist[/bold] wrote: ESFRS try to improve their image when they are still hurting the widows and families. Het a grip Des Prichatd. Grow a pair and tell Zurich to have some compassion.[/p][/quote]Or they can just pay up, seeing as they are the ones who are liable for that money, NOT Zurich, as you were told earlier.[/p][/quote]You really are incredibly thick Stevo. ESFRS are liable but their insurers, Zurich, indemnify their liability. The insurers don't want to pay out. Is that simple enough for you? Probably not..... Motorcyclist
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree