It’s relief on the railways

The Balcombe Viaduct which connects Brighton and Gatwick Airport

Brighton station from the air

First published in News
Last updated
by , Health reporter

TRAIN services for thousands of Sussex commuters will return to normal on Monday as a major station fully reopens.

People using the Brighton mainline and the east and west Sussex coast way routes have been forced to find alternative routes while major work is carried out at London Bridge station.

The station has been partially shut for nine days as part of the £6.5 billion redevelopment project, which connects Brighton and Gatwick Airport with central London and beyond.

These aerial pictures of the Balcombe Viaduct, Brighton station and Gatwick highlight key parts of the route which will benefit from the changes.

More than 50,000 passengers who normally travel into London Bridge in the morning peak hours have had to take different journeys to get to work.

A further 250,000 passenger journeys were affected by the knock-on effects, with other routes becoming busier than normal.

The part-closure ends tomorrow and a full service will be back in force on Monday.

The work was carried out during August as passenger numbers are lower than normal, keeping disruption to a minimum.

When complete in 2018, the massive Thameslink investment programme will give passengers new, more spacious trains and improved connections to more destinations.

Earlier this year the Government announced it was awarding the new Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern (TSGN) franchise to Govia Thameslink Railway Ltd.

The seven-year franchise is the largest ever given in terms of passenger numbers, and its aim is to improve services to destinations along the Brighton main line and across the county.

Planned benefits include the roll-out of 108 new carriages to replace the current Gatwick Express trains by the end of 2015.

New trains will start to replace the existing Thameslink train fleets from 2016.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:20am Sun 31 Aug 14

hoveguyactually says...

"TRAIN services for thousands of Sussex commuters will return to normal on Monday as a major station fully reopens."

"Normal" as in delays and cancellations?
"TRAIN services for thousands of Sussex commuters will return to normal on Monday as a major station fully reopens." "Normal" as in delays and cancellations? hoveguyactually
  • Score: 12

10:20am Sun 31 Aug 14

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit says...

I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.
I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter. Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit
  • Score: 11

12:37pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Telscombe Cliffy says...

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.
Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.
[quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.[/p][/quote]Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof. Telscombe Cliffy
  • Score: 6

1:25pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Tammy Flugh says...

Telscombe Cliffy wrote:
Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.
Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.
Standing oop? Luxury. In my day, we didn't even have a floor.
[quote][p][bold]Telscombe Cliffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.[/p][/quote]Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.[/p][/quote]Standing oop? Luxury. In my day, we didn't even have a floor. Tammy Flugh
  • Score: 6

3:16pm Sun 31 Aug 14

twitterprinter says...

Tammy Flugh wrote:
Telscombe Cliffy wrote:
Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.
Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.
Standing oop? Luxury. In my day, we didn't even have a floor.
In my day we didn't have trains - we had to run on the track following a horse.
[quote][p][bold]Tammy Flugh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Telscombe Cliffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.[/p][/quote]Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.[/p][/quote]Standing oop? Luxury. In my day, we didn't even have a floor.[/p][/quote]In my day we didn't have trains - we had to run on the track following a horse. twitterprinter
  • Score: 3

7:31pm Sun 31 Aug 14

hoveguyactually says...

"It’s relief on the railways"

Well, maybe, but not when the toilets on the trains are out of order, which is quite often unfortunately.
"It’s relief on the railways" Well, maybe, but not when the toilets on the trains are out of order, which is quite often unfortunately. hoveguyactually
  • Score: 0

8:04pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Telscombe Cliffy says...

twitterprinter wrote:
Tammy Flugh wrote:
Telscombe Cliffy wrote:
Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.
Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.
Standing oop? Luxury. In my day, we didn't even have a floor.
In my day we didn't have trains - we had to run on the track following a horse.
Horse and track! Luxury! We'd dream of having a horse. We had to make do with wading oop canal weighed down with boulders and dragging a ruptured whippet.
[quote][p][bold]twitterprinter[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tammy Flugh[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Telscombe Cliffy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.[/p][/quote]Luuuuuuxury, in my day back in Yorkshire, we used to travel standing oop int open coal wagon wit no roof.[/p][/quote]Standing oop? Luxury. In my day, we didn't even have a floor.[/p][/quote]In my day we didn't have trains - we had to run on the track following a horse.[/p][/quote]Horse and track! Luxury! We'd dream of having a horse. We had to make do with wading oop canal weighed down with boulders and dragging a ruptured whippet. Telscombe Cliffy
  • Score: 3

11:36pm Sun 31 Aug 14

aat99 says...

Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit wrote:
I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.
Great seats if you are a stick insect ...
[quote][p][bold]Jimmy Stewart's Imaginary Rabbit[/bold] wrote: I hope the new trains aren't the Class 700. The seats on those make bus seats look like lounge chairs. Yeah I know, another moaning commuter.[/p][/quote]Great seats if you are a stick insect ... aat99
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree