Brighton nightclub jobs at risk

Oceana's owner has gone into administration

Oceana's owner has gone into administration

First published in News

Scores of jobs are at risk after the owner of Brighton’s biggest nightclub collapsed with debts of £85 million.

Luminar, the owner of Oceana as well as Project, formerly Tru, Creation, Paradox and the Pink Coconut, in West Street, called on clubbers to “use us or lose us” after it slid into administration yesterday (October 27).

Oceana, the firm’s flagship venue, has a capacity of 2,500 people and employs 96 staff while Project can hold 1,450 people and employs 20 staff.

The firm also owns Liquid in Station Way, Crawley, which has a capacity of 1,900 and employs approximately 45 staff, as well as Kings nightclub in Eastbourne.

Luminar has been fighting to stay afloat since the economic downturn hit, with 18 to 24-year-olds, its biggest group of customers, having been particularly affected by the surge in unemployment across the country.

The ban on smoking and the extension of pub hours have also hurt club operators.

Claire Ottewell, chair of the Brighton and Hove Tourism Alliance, said losing such highly-visible, mass-market venues in the heart of the city would leave a gap not only in the city’s seafront but also in the tourism sector’s overall offering for both visitors and residents.

She said: “The nighttime economy is incredibly important to businesses in the city generating £400 million each year and employing many local people.

"There is a massive knock-on effect to retailers, hotels, attractions and transport providers.”

Both Oceana and Project will continue to trade.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:50pm Fri 28 Oct 11

clubrob6 says...

Everything is against the clubs,cheap drinks in super markets so people drink at home first,smoking ban,pubs open later,government wants clubs to contribute to policing,it is difficult to even break even.The government cutbacks are hitting the young unfairly ,if these clubs close the knock on effect with hotels etc will be bad although this would delight some recidents who live near these venues i cant understand why they chose to live in the centre of the city what do they expect. ROB BRIGHTON.
Everything is against the clubs,cheap drinks in super markets so people drink at home first,smoking ban,pubs open later,government wants clubs to contribute to policing,it is difficult to even break even.The government cutbacks are hitting the young unfairly ,if these clubs close the knock on effect with hotels etc will be bad although this would delight some recidents who live near these venues i cant understand why they chose to live in the centre of the city what do they expect. ROB BRIGHTON. clubrob6
  • Score: 0

4:29pm Fri 28 Oct 11

wietraurig says...

Good riddance. Might make the town centre a bit less unpleasant for the rest of us in the evenings.
It would be much better in any case to have a local economy based on real jobs, than to be so dependent on this so-called 'night-time economy'.
Good riddance. Might make the town centre a bit less unpleasant for the rest of us in the evenings. It would be much better in any case to have a local economy based on real jobs, than to be so dependent on this so-called 'night-time economy'. wietraurig
  • Score: 0

5:23pm Fri 28 Oct 11

Morpheus says...

Use us or lose us? With debts of £85m that is a lot of clubbers they need!
Use us or lose us? With debts of £85m that is a lot of clubbers they need! Morpheus
  • Score: 0

5:28pm Fri 28 Oct 11

leobrighton says...

Rob its not just city centre residents who suffer the noise generated from people returning home from these clubs in the early hours. Its almost everybody living on a fairly busy road within a couple of miles.
Rob its not just city centre residents who suffer the noise generated from people returning home from these clubs in the early hours. Its almost everybody living on a fairly busy road within a couple of miles. leobrighton
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Fri 28 Oct 11

Iggytwig says...

The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.
The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out. Iggytwig
  • Score: 0

6:29pm Fri 28 Oct 11

leobrighton says...

There will still be plenty of other clubs and these have a chavvy reputation anyway.
There will still be plenty of other clubs and these have a chavvy reputation anyway. leobrighton
  • Score: 0

8:08pm Fri 28 Oct 11

Marthaz says...

Rob Brighton, how does a night club closure lead you to slag off people living in the town centre ...? As the article says, unemployed kids don't have the money and you yourself give a solid list of the reasons that clubs have a hard time.
Rob Brighton, how does a night club closure lead you to slag off people living in the town centre ...? As the article says, unemployed kids don't have the money and you yourself give a solid list of the reasons that clubs have a hard time. Marthaz
  • Score: 0

9:10pm Fri 28 Oct 11

Rita Snatch says...

Iggytwig wrote:
The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.
Oceana did not issue a 'Use us or Lose us' policy - I believe that is just a journalists sensationalism.

Oceana is a extremely popular club with an 'over 23's' dance room on Friday's and Saturdays. A special night for over 30's was trialled a year ago - but almost everyone deserted the allocated 2 'over 30's rooms' and headed for the main 2 large Oceana dance rooms and 5 themed bars. Oceana does cater for the older generation (over aged 60 sometimes!) and through all the age group ranges down to 18 (restricted to over 20 at weekends). The under 18 - no alcohol - evenings are also very popular.

And Oceana is NOT known for trouble, with the ever increasing number of Gay and Lesbian punters as very positive proof/evidence!

It is only the occasional few that cause any problem and they are swiftly removed so that the 2,500 + can continue to enjoy their trouble free night of enjoyment.

Oceana IS here for the majority to use for a fun and safe night - and the majority demonstrates that with their continual returns to Oceana.
[quote][p][bold]Iggytwig[/bold] wrote: The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.[/p][/quote]Oceana did not issue a 'Use us or Lose us' policy - I believe that is just a journalists sensationalism. Oceana is a extremely popular club with an 'over 23's' dance room on Friday's and Saturdays. A special night for over 30's was trialled a year ago - but almost everyone deserted the allocated 2 'over 30's rooms' and headed for the main 2 large Oceana dance rooms and 5 themed bars. Oceana does cater for the older generation (over aged 60 sometimes!) and through all the age group ranges down to 18 (restricted to over 20 at weekends). The under 18 - no alcohol - evenings are also very popular. And Oceana is NOT known for trouble, with the ever increasing number of Gay and Lesbian punters as very positive proof/evidence! It is only the occasional few that cause any problem and they are swiftly removed so that the 2,500 + can continue to enjoy their trouble free night of enjoyment. Oceana IS here for the majority to use for a fun and safe night - and the majority demonstrates that with their continual returns to Oceana. Rita Snatch
  • Score: 0

3:44am Sat 29 Oct 11

deanaprior says...

There are a number of ugly buildings on the seafront but I think this is no.1.
There are a number of ugly buildings on the seafront but I think this is no.1. deanaprior
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Sat 29 Oct 11

wietraurig says...

Rita Snatch wrote:
wietraurig wrote:
Good riddance. Might make the town centre a bit less unpleasant for the rest of us in the evenings.
It would be much better in any case to have a local economy based on real jobs, than to be so dependent on this so-called 'night-time economy'.
Stop being such an ill-informed plonker. Just where do you 'go' in the town centre in the evening? The bushes?
Don't know about "ill-informed", but my own experience suggests that West St and its environs are fairly horrible and sometimes intimidating places, especially on weekday evenings, and the concentration of clubs in the area does, I think, contribute to this. Just my personal opinion, of course, although I know many others who share it. The main point I was making, though, was that Brighton is too dependent on low-paid service sector jobs in these kinds of establishments, and these will always be vulnerable to recessions etc. The Council and others would do far better to encourage investment in high-paying, high value-added jobs in manufacturing, high-tech and the knowledge-based sectors, rather than the 'night-time economy'.
Haven't noticed many bushes in that part of town, I confess, so don't really know what you're on about there.
[quote][p][bold]Rita Snatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wietraurig[/bold] wrote: Good riddance. Might make the town centre a bit less unpleasant for the rest of us in the evenings. It would be much better in any case to have a local economy based on real jobs, than to be so dependent on this so-called 'night-time economy'.[/p][/quote]Stop being such an ill-informed plonker. Just where do you 'go' in the town centre in the evening? The bushes?[/p][/quote]Don't know about "ill-informed", but my own experience suggests that West St and its environs are fairly horrible and sometimes intimidating places, especially on weekday evenings, and the concentration of clubs in the area does, I think, contribute to this. Just my personal opinion, of course, although I know many others who share it. The main point I was making, though, was that Brighton is too dependent on low-paid service sector jobs in these kinds of establishments, and these will always be vulnerable to recessions etc. The Council and others would do far better to encourage investment in high-paying, high value-added jobs in manufacturing, high-tech and the knowledge-based sectors, rather than the 'night-time economy'. Haven't noticed many bushes in that part of town, I confess, so don't really know what you're on about there. wietraurig
  • Score: 0

7:14am Sun 30 Oct 11

Noprisoners says...

The venue will always be successful as it always draws in a crowd- Yes West Street has a questionable reputation, but Oceana does not add to that any more than any other venue. Most people that have had a bad experience on West Street seem to condemn all the venues without having tried all of them, and most people that have a singular problem with Oceana have been removed from the venue at one point or another (mostly for good reason)
What people seem to forget is that Oceana staff are made up mainly of 18-25 year olds (highest unemployment rate anyone?) so what people need to consider is that there are 50 odd people who are not on the dole, are working ridiculous hours just to make a living.
Oceana is a niche club- many of the customers are regulars just as you would have down the seafront, or in Kemptown- its as simple as this, if you hate chart, or R&B, or Disco just don't go!There are loads of brilliant clubs in brighton offering a huge range of music!
Oceana caters to the people that DO want this- there is a venue for everyone in Brighton! The club is well run, has a brilliant safety record and is employing young people, has a diverse crowd and is not personally in £85m worth of debt- do you really want to see it go? T
The venue will always be successful as it always draws in a crowd- Yes West Street has a questionable reputation, but Oceana does not add to that any more than any other venue. Most people that have had a bad experience on West Street seem to condemn all the venues without having tried all of them, and most people that have a singular problem with Oceana have been removed from the venue at one point or another (mostly for good reason) What people seem to forget is that Oceana staff are made up mainly of 18-25 year olds (highest unemployment rate anyone?) so what people need to consider is that there are 50 odd people who are not on the dole, are working ridiculous hours just to make a living. Oceana is a niche club- many of the customers are regulars just as you would have down the seafront, or in Kemptown- its as simple as this, if you hate chart, or R&B, or Disco just don't go!There are loads of brilliant clubs in brighton offering a huge range of music! Oceana caters to the people that DO want this- there is a venue for everyone in Brighton! The club is well run, has a brilliant safety record and is employing young people, has a diverse crowd and is not personally in £85m worth of debt- do you really want to see it go? T Noprisoners
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Sun 30 Oct 11

steve19btn says...

Rita Snatch wrote:
Iggytwig wrote:
The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.
Oceana did not issue a 'Use us or Lose us' policy - I believe that is just a journalists sensationalism.

Oceana is a extremely popular club with an 'over 23's' dance room on Friday's and Saturdays. A special night for over 30's was trialled a year ago - but almost everyone deserted the allocated 2 'over 30's rooms' and headed for the main 2 large Oceana dance rooms and 5 themed bars. Oceana does cater for the older generation (over aged 60 sometimes!) and through all the age group ranges down to 18 (restricted to over 20 at weekends). The under 18 - no alcohol - evenings are also very popular.

And Oceana is NOT known for trouble, with the ever increasing number of Gay and Lesbian punters as very positive proof/evidence!

It is only the occasional few that cause any problem and they are swiftly removed so that the 2,500 + can continue to enjoy their trouble free night of enjoyment.

Oceana IS here for the majority to use for a fun and safe night - and the majority demonstrates that with their continual returns to Oceana.
If it's an "extremely popular" club, surely they have no need to worry about money right now?

When I last went about a month back, I remember being charged nearly £9 for a drink that costs only £3 elsewhere.

I agree that this is a nice venue, but one must question how successful a venue of this size can be when the vast majority of people can't afford regular nights out...
[quote][p][bold]Rita Snatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Iggytwig[/bold] wrote: The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.[/p][/quote]Oceana did not issue a 'Use us or Lose us' policy - I believe that is just a journalists sensationalism. Oceana is a extremely popular club with an 'over 23's' dance room on Friday's and Saturdays. A special night for over 30's was trialled a year ago - but almost everyone deserted the allocated 2 'over 30's rooms' and headed for the main 2 large Oceana dance rooms and 5 themed bars. Oceana does cater for the older generation (over aged 60 sometimes!) and through all the age group ranges down to 18 (restricted to over 20 at weekends). The under 18 - no alcohol - evenings are also very popular. And Oceana is NOT known for trouble, with the ever increasing number of Gay and Lesbian punters as very positive proof/evidence! It is only the occasional few that cause any problem and they are swiftly removed so that the 2,500 + can continue to enjoy their trouble free night of enjoyment. Oceana IS here for the majority to use for a fun and safe night - and the majority demonstrates that with their continual returns to Oceana.[/p][/quote]If it's an "extremely popular" club, surely they have no need to worry about money right now? When I last went about a month back, I remember being charged nearly £9 for a drink that costs only £3 elsewhere. I agree that this is a nice venue, but one must question how successful a venue of this size can be when the vast majority of people can't afford regular nights out... steve19btn
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Sun 30 Oct 11

AngelicDevil says...

steve19btn wrote:
Rita Snatch wrote:
Iggytwig wrote:
The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.
Oceana did not issue a 'Use us or Lose us' policy - I believe that is just a journalists sensationalism.

Oceana is a extremely popular club with an 'over 23's' dance room on Friday's and Saturdays. A special night for over 30's was trialled a year ago - but almost everyone deserted the allocated 2 'over 30's rooms' and headed for the main 2 large Oceana dance rooms and 5 themed bars. Oceana does cater for the older generation (over aged 60 sometimes!) and through all the age group ranges down to 18 (restricted to over 20 at weekends). The under 18 - no alcohol - evenings are also very popular.

And Oceana is NOT known for trouble, with the ever increasing number of Gay and Lesbian punters as very positive proof/evidence!

It is only the occasional few that cause any problem and they are swiftly removed so that the 2,500 + can continue to enjoy their trouble free night of enjoyment.

Oceana IS here for the majority to use for a fun and safe night - and the majority demonstrates that with their continual returns to Oceana.
If it's an "extremely popular" club, surely they have no need to worry about money right now?

When I last went about a month back, I remember being charged nearly £9 for a drink that costs only £3 elsewhere.

I agree that this is a nice venue, but one must question how successful a venue of this size can be when the vast majority of people can't afford regular nights out...
Given that Luminar clubs give people every opportunity to get free entry and have the some of the best drink deals around I'm not sure you were charged £9 for a drink!

There isn't a drink on the menu that costs £9. The pitchers are priced around £10, cocktails around £6 (and these are 241 Sun-Fri), bottles and other drinks regularly on offer.

I think you're over-exaggerating or you were drunk.

It would be a massive shame to see these clubs close, not only for the people employed by them but for the people that use them.

I don't think the locals stating that they wish these venues would shut so there were other places for them to go realise how much money these venues bring in, which would not be matched by a few locals going out for a quiet drink/meal instead LOL
[quote][p][bold]steve19btn[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rita Snatch[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Iggytwig[/bold] wrote: The clubs in West Street have thrived for so long on stag and hen nights and young drinkers, they have done nothing to encourage other people living in the surrounding areas to go there. In fact I don't know anybody who has actually been in Oceana because it is so well-known for trouble, yet we have all contributed to the policing costs connected with it. Now people can't afford to travel to Brighton or go out so often they are showing the 'use it or lose it' card.... As far as I can see, it was never there for the majority to use for a safe and fun night out.[/p][/quote]Oceana did not issue a 'Use us or Lose us' policy - I believe that is just a journalists sensationalism. Oceana is a extremely popular club with an 'over 23's' dance room on Friday's and Saturdays. A special night for over 30's was trialled a year ago - but almost everyone deserted the allocated 2 'over 30's rooms' and headed for the main 2 large Oceana dance rooms and 5 themed bars. Oceana does cater for the older generation (over aged 60 sometimes!) and through all the age group ranges down to 18 (restricted to over 20 at weekends). The under 18 - no alcohol - evenings are also very popular. And Oceana is NOT known for trouble, with the ever increasing number of Gay and Lesbian punters as very positive proof/evidence! It is only the occasional few that cause any problem and they are swiftly removed so that the 2,500 + can continue to enjoy their trouble free night of enjoyment. Oceana IS here for the majority to use for a fun and safe night - and the majority demonstrates that with their continual returns to Oceana.[/p][/quote]If it's an "extremely popular" club, surely they have no need to worry about money right now? When I last went about a month back, I remember being charged nearly £9 for a drink that costs only £3 elsewhere. I agree that this is a nice venue, but one must question how successful a venue of this size can be when the vast majority of people can't afford regular nights out...[/p][/quote]Given that Luminar clubs give people every opportunity to get free entry and have the some of the best drink deals around I'm not sure you were charged £9 for a drink! There isn't a drink on the menu that costs £9. The pitchers are priced around £10, cocktails around £6 (and these are 241 Sun-Fri), bottles and other drinks regularly on offer. I think you're over-exaggerating or you were drunk. It would be a massive shame to see these clubs close, not only for the people employed by them but for the people that use them. I don't think the locals stating that they wish these venues would shut so there were other places for them to go realise how much money these venues bring in, which would not be matched by a few locals going out for a quiet drink/meal instead LOL AngelicDevil
  • Score: 0

5:30am Mon 31 Oct 11

aqua says...

leobrighton wrote:
There will still be plenty of other clubs and these have a chavvy reputation anyway.
There are lots of snobs in Brighton !

It's one of the prerequisites after a few years for locals & newcomers to criticise West Street, even though they probably rarely go clubbing anymore & don't spend any money in them.

Do you want these much smaller pokier clubs to pickup the overspill from the closure of the 2 big Wrest Street clubs ?
[quote][p][bold]leobrighton[/bold] wrote: There will still be plenty of other clubs and these have a chavvy reputation anyway.[/p][/quote]There are lots of snobs in Brighton ! It's one of the prerequisites after a few years for locals & newcomers to criticise West Street, even though they probably rarely go clubbing anymore & don't spend any money in them. Do you want these much smaller pokier clubs to pickup the overspill from the closure of the 2 big Wrest Street clubs ? aqua
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree