The ArgusSussex school bus firm Countryliner goes into administration (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Sussex school bus firm Countryliner goes into administration

Council staff were tonight scrambling to arrange emergency school buses after transport firm Countryliner Sussex went bust.

East Sussex County Council announced it was organising replacement services to ferry pupils to and from their schools after the company went into administration.

Countryliner took children to schools in Chailey, Ringmer, Uckfield, Wivelsfield, Lewes, Cuckfield, East Grinstead, Heathfield, Wadhurst, Robertsbridge and Battle.

A council spokesman said: “We regret the disruption to bus services that this will cause. Children should be able to get to school as normal but expect delays.”

Which services face disruption?

  • 121 Newick – Chailey – Cooksbridge - Lewes
  • 125 Barcombe – Cooksbridge – Lewes – Glynde - Alfriston
  • 127 Lewes Landport Estate
  • 128 Lewes Town
  • 166 Lewes – Plumpton Green – Wivelsfield Green – Haywards Heath
  • 254 Tunbridge Wells – Frant – Wadhurst – Ticehurst - Hawkhust
  • 256 Tunbridge Wells to Uplands Community College (School Journeys only)
  • 258 Kilndown – Lamberhurst – Wadhurst
  • 259 Bodle Street – Wartling – Cowbeech – Heathfield Community College
  • 261 Uckfield – Maresfield – Nutley – Chelwood Gate – Forest Row – E Grinstead
  • 304/305 Hastings – Battle – Roberstbridge – Hurst Green - Hawkhurst
  • 824 Village Rider serving Lewes, Plumpton Green, Wivelsfield Green, Ditchling, Burgess Hill

Transport to the following schools and colleges will be affected:

  • Chailey School
  • St Peters CE School, Chailey
  • Uckfield Community Technology College
  • Ringmer Academy
  • Wivelsfield County Primary
  • Uplands Community College, Wadhurst
  • Heathfield Community College
  • Robertsbridge Community College
  • Claverham Community College, Battle
  • Priory School, Lewes
  • Sussex Downs College, Lewes
  • Warden Park School, Cuckfield
  • Sackville School, East Grinstead

Have you been affected? Email news@theargus.co.uk or call 01273 544514.

Comments (29)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:34pm Mon 8 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

You seriously need to get your facts right before running stories like this. Have you checked Companies house????
You seriously need to get your facts right before running stories like this. Have you checked Companies house???? Tink1076
  • Score: 0

8:36pm Mon 8 Oct 12

rolivan says...

A council spokesman said: “We regret the disruption to bus services that this will cause. Children should be able to get to school as normal but expect delays.”
How can the get to School as normal if there are delas?
A council spokesman said: “We regret the disruption to bus services that this will cause. Children should be able to get to school as normal but expect delays.” How can the get to School as normal if there are delas? rolivan
  • Score: 0

9:41pm Mon 8 Oct 12

ghost bus driver says...

They've been on the brink for years. Last time this sort of thing happened the company was split into two parts. I'm not sure if it's Countryliner Coaches or Countryliner Buses (the two companies) that have gone down or the bus end but if one goes the other would more than likely cover until contracts could be re-let.
They've been on the brink for years. Last time this sort of thing happened the company was split into two parts. I'm not sure if it's Countryliner Coaches or Countryliner Buses (the two companies) that have gone down or the bus end but if one goes the other would more than likely cover until contracts could be re-let. ghost bus driver
  • Score: 0

9:42pm Mon 8 Oct 12

Joeotway says...

http://wck2.companie
shouse.gov.uk/8fabbf
32e2957dd8fccf7cb02e
b4d67d/companysearch
?disp=1&frfsh=134972
8775&#result
http://wck2.companie shouse.gov.uk/8fabbf 32e2957dd8fccf7cb02e b4d67d/companysearch ?disp=1&frfsh=134972 8775&#result Joeotway
  • Score: 0

11:24pm Mon 8 Oct 12

mrtricky says...

Similar situation recently in Oxford with their RH bus company going bust. Stagecoach Buses have taken over their school routes until a new operator is found.
Just seems the smaller player has well intentioned plans but less financial clout compared to the established bigger fish.
Similar situation recently in Oxford with their RH bus company going bust. Stagecoach Buses have taken over their school routes until a new operator is found. Just seems the smaller player has well intentioned plans but less financial clout compared to the established bigger fish. mrtricky
  • Score: 0

6:10am Tue 9 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

Uckfield branch has been taken overver By Compass. Burgess hill depot are now operating. On "O" licenses from Rambler coaches, for the. Mayority. Of drivers this article was the first they knew about this situation. Needless to say although they have been adviced to " hold tight" most will probably be looking for different employment in companies which are more stable.
Uckfield branch has been taken overver By Compass. Burgess hill depot are now operating. On "O" licenses from Rambler coaches, for the. Mayority. Of drivers this article was the first they knew about this situation. Needless to say although they have been adviced to " hold tight" most will probably be looking for different employment in companies which are more stable. Tink1076
  • Score: 0

7:38am Tue 9 Oct 12

davyboy says...

mrtricky wrote:
Similar situation recently in Oxford with their RH bus company going bust. Stagecoach Buses have taken over their school routes until a new operator is found.
Just seems the smaller player has well intentioned plans but less financial clout compared to the established bigger fish.
routes in oxford being re-tendered this week, hopefully being split between stagecoach, oxford bus, and thames travel. these failures could have been predicted, as the smaller companies always under-bid for these contracts, and councils pay the lowest bid. for example, expect the 52 in brighton to fail, as the big lemon won't be able to afford to run it. the traffic commissioners could keep tabs on these companies, by asking for audited accounts on a 6 monthly basis, showing financial standing. every company running buses, coaches or HGV's have to show they have money in the bank to keep their fleet on the road, something like £6500 for the first vehcle nominated on the operators licence, and about £2500 for each subsequent vehcle, which for a big fleet can be a lot of money. i believe many smaller companies are dipping into this money to pay wages etc, and if the traffic commissioners checked more often, these failures would reduce
[quote][p][bold]mrtricky[/bold] wrote: Similar situation recently in Oxford with their RH bus company going bust. Stagecoach Buses have taken over their school routes until a new operator is found. Just seems the smaller player has well intentioned plans but less financial clout compared to the established bigger fish.[/p][/quote]routes in oxford being re-tendered this week, hopefully being split between stagecoach, oxford bus, and thames travel. these failures could have been predicted, as the smaller companies always under-bid for these contracts, and councils pay the lowest bid. for example, expect the 52 in brighton to fail, as the big lemon won't be able to afford to run it. the traffic commissioners could keep tabs on these companies, by asking for audited accounts on a 6 monthly basis, showing financial standing. every company running buses, coaches or HGV's have to show they have money in the bank to keep their fleet on the road, something like £6500 for the first vehcle nominated on the operators licence, and about £2500 for each subsequent vehcle, which for a big fleet can be a lot of money. i believe many smaller companies are dipping into this money to pay wages etc, and if the traffic commissioners checked more often, these failures would reduce davyboy
  • Score: 0

11:25am Tue 9 Oct 12

wolfie says...

ghost bus driver

Its both that have gone bust thats whys rambler and compass are running things on there o licences
ghost bus driver Its both that have gone bust thats whys rambler and compass are running things on there o licences wolfie
  • Score: 0

11:37am Tue 9 Oct 12

Tailgaters Anonymous says...

Any informed person would know that Companies House takes nearly a week to file information!
Any informed person would know that Companies House takes nearly a week to file information! Tailgaters Anonymous
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Tue 9 Oct 12

lozzashaw says...

www.schoolminibuscom
pany.co.uk they should try these guys!
www.schoolminibuscom pany.co.uk they should try these guys! lozzashaw
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

Tailgaters Anonymous wrote:
Any informed person would know that Companies House takes nearly a week to file information!
and any decent newspaper would check all the facts before running a story like this, such as whether the employees of the company had been informed rather then them having to find out from ths ill written rag!
[quote][p][bold]Tailgaters Anonymous[/bold] wrote: Any informed person would know that Companies House takes nearly a week to file information![/p][/quote]and any decent newspaper would check all the facts before running a story like this, such as whether the employees of the company had been informed rather then them having to find out from ths ill written rag! Tink1076
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Roserj says...

Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.
Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew. Roserj
  • Score: 0

2:12pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

The councils must have known, the directors definately did, but the drivers were left in the dark. would you like to read in a local newspaper that you no longer have a job?
The councils must have known, the directors definately did, but the drivers were left in the dark. would you like to read in a local newspaper that you no longer have a job? Tink1076
  • Score: 0

2:48pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Roserj says...

Our bus driver told us yesterday morning that the Company were in court
for not paying their taxes so to say the drivers didnt know may not be quite the case. They certainly did in Mid Sussex.
Our bus driver told us yesterday morning that the Company were in court for not paying their taxes so to say the drivers didnt know may not be quite the case. They certainly did in Mid Sussex. Roserj
  • Score: 0

4:02pm Tue 9 Oct 12

gingertea says...

Tink 1076, come on even as a driver you must have had some idea the company were in trouble having to use takings to refuel your buses and not getting paid sometimes. Just look at the state of some drivers and the buses I am surprised they held on this long...At least we might get a decent service now, looking forward to Stagecoach Compass or Brighton and Hove/Metrobus or whoever....
Tink 1076, come on even as a driver you must have had some idea the company were in trouble having to use takings to refuel your buses and not getting paid sometimes. Just look at the state of some drivers and the buses I am surprised they held on this long...At least we might get a decent service now, looking forward to Stagecoach Compass or Brighton and Hove/Metrobus or whoever.... gingertea
  • Score: 0

4:08pm Tue 9 Oct 12

JoeBlow says...

Tink1076 wrote:
The councils must have known, the directors definately did, but the drivers were left in the dark. would you like to read in a local newspaper that you no longer have a job?
That's not the Argus's fault, it is the company's fault.
[quote][p][bold]Tink1076[/bold] wrote: The councils must have known, the directors definately did, but the drivers were left in the dark. would you like to read in a local newspaper that you no longer have a job?[/p][/quote]That's not the Argus's fault, it is the company's fault. JoeBlow
  • Score: 0

4:24pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

I am not a driver but my husband is and he found out at 9pm last night by someone pointing out this article, He drives in Mid sussex and was eworking yesterday. Wages not being paid was resolved by a finance company taking over the mayority of the shares over a year ago and the fuel shortaage was blamed on the rising cost and the company responsible for delivering it to the yard being behind on orders. yes we were aware for a time that they were in financial trouble but we thought this had been resolved by the company being divided into two Countryliner sussex and Countryliner Burgess hill Ltd and being supported by the finance company that stepped in last time. The company were ultimately responsible for informing their employees but the Argus has a responsibility to its readers to be aware of the full facts before publishing an article that sensationalised this story without taking into full consideration the inpact this has had on the families of the drivers that worked for them, who shouldn't be attacked about appearance of all things at such
a traumatic and uncertain time. at least the guys working there are still turning up to work even though they are unsure if they will be paid for it rather then running to the nearest jobcenter for free hand outs these guys should be applauded not critised.
I am not a driver but my husband is and he found out at 9pm last night by someone pointing out this article, He drives in Mid sussex and was eworking yesterday. Wages not being paid was resolved by a finance company taking over the mayority of the shares over a year ago and the fuel shortaage was blamed on the rising cost and the company responsible for delivering it to the yard being behind on orders. yes we were aware for a time that they were in financial trouble but we thought this had been resolved by the company being divided into two Countryliner sussex and Countryliner Burgess hill Ltd and being supported by the finance company that stepped in last time. The company were ultimately responsible for informing their employees but the Argus has a responsibility to its readers to be aware of the full facts before publishing an article that sensationalised this story without taking into full consideration the inpact this has had on the families of the drivers that worked for them, who shouldn't be attacked about appearance of all things at such a traumatic and uncertain time. at least the guys working there are still turning up to work even though they are unsure if they will be paid for it rather then running to the nearest jobcenter for free hand outs these guys should be applauded not critised. Tink1076
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Tue 9 Oct 12

D5 says...

Roserj wrote:
Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.
Best thing to do is make everybody pay bus fare, no free passes to anybody. Then companies could run along profit making lines, not as a free service for people with free passes or employess of the NHS on the 40 route. In that way the council would not have to pay them to operate -end result -you have a service you pay for. Not a service that i pay for through council tax that i don't use.
[quote][p][bold]Roserj[/bold] wrote: Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.[/p][/quote]Best thing to do is make everybody pay bus fare, no free passes to anybody. Then companies could run along profit making lines, not as a free service for people with free passes or employess of the NHS on the 40 route. In that way the council would not have to pay them to operate -end result -you have a service you pay for. Not a service that i pay for through council tax that i don't use. D5
  • Score: 0

5:31pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

D5 wrote:
Roserj wrote:
Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.
Best thing to do is make everybody pay bus fare, no free passes to anybody. Then companies could run along profit making lines, not as a free service for people with free passes or employess of the NHS on the 40 route. In that way the council would not have to pay them to operate -end result -you have a service you pay for. Not a service that i pay for through council tax that i don't use.
I totally agree the worst thing to have happened to countryliner is the free oap pass and subsidised routes. Everyone that uses should pay, I know that the nhs staff now have a salary scarafice set up to pay for their transport but the oaps should only get free travel if they are in hardship. I would rather see nurses travel free then oaps who are sitting on a personal fortune.
[quote][p][bold]D5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Roserj[/bold] wrote: Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.[/p][/quote]Best thing to do is make everybody pay bus fare, no free passes to anybody. Then companies could run along profit making lines, not as a free service for people with free passes or employess of the NHS on the 40 route. In that way the council would not have to pay them to operate -end result -you have a service you pay for. Not a service that i pay for through council tax that i don't use.[/p][/quote]I totally agree the worst thing to have happened to countryliner is the free oap pass and subsidised routes. Everyone that uses should pay, I know that the nhs staff now have a salary scarafice set up to pay for their transport but the oaps should only get free travel if they are in hardship. I would rather see nurses travel free then oaps who are sitting on a personal fortune. Tink1076
  • Score: 0

5:42pm Tue 9 Oct 12

D5 says...

Tink1076 wrote:
D5 wrote:
Roserj wrote:
Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.
Best thing to do is make everybody pay bus fare, no free passes to anybody. Then companies could run along profit making lines, not as a free service for people with free passes or employess of the NHS on the 40 route. In that way the council would not have to pay them to operate -end result -you have a service you pay for. Not a service that i pay for through council tax that i don't use.
I totally agree the worst thing to have happened to countryliner is the free oap pass and subsidised routes. Everyone that uses should pay, I know that the nhs staff now have a salary scarafice set up to pay for their transport but the oaps should only get free travel if they are in hardship. I would rather see nurses travel free then oaps who are sitting on a personal fortune.
wasn't aware of the salary sacrifice but as a bus driver myself i see that the free for all travel scheme is a disaster.
Another socialist ideal that causes people to lose there jobs.

To use a bus, you should pay a fare, simple.

Get what you pay for...........
[quote][p][bold]Tink1076[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]D5[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Roserj[/bold] wrote: Im not surprised they have gone bust. The service we have had from them in Mid Sussex has been just terrible and they were quite frankly not fit for purpose . We have known for some while they were in trouble so if the public knew then surely the Councils involved knew.[/p][/quote]Best thing to do is make everybody pay bus fare, no free passes to anybody. Then companies could run along profit making lines, not as a free service for people with free passes or employess of the NHS on the 40 route. In that way the council would not have to pay them to operate -end result -you have a service you pay for. Not a service that i pay for through council tax that i don't use.[/p][/quote]I totally agree the worst thing to have happened to countryliner is the free oap pass and subsidised routes. Everyone that uses should pay, I know that the nhs staff now have a salary scarafice set up to pay for their transport but the oaps should only get free travel if they are in hardship. I would rather see nurses travel free then oaps who are sitting on a personal fortune.[/p][/quote]wasn't aware of the salary sacrifice but as a bus driver myself i see that the free for all travel scheme is a disaster. Another socialist ideal that causes people to lose there jobs. To use a bus, you should pay a fare, simple. Get what you pay for........... D5
  • Score: 0

6:15pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Roserj says...

I think indeed everyone must pay at least something . If you take the bus passes away completely you will have empty buses because the elderely cannt afford the fares and the bus companies donnt get the subsides from the council. So no one wins. If you bid for a contract you should be able to give a service on the figures put forward. You cannt blame the general public for their bad management skills .
We were told by the drivers this morning that Heritage are taking over the service in some of the Mid Sussex area so lets hope they can do a better job and hopefully give some of the drivers a chance to keep their jobs.
I think indeed everyone must pay at least something . If you take the bus passes away completely you will have empty buses because the elderely cannt afford the fares and the bus companies donnt get the subsides from the council. So no one wins. If you bid for a contract you should be able to give a service on the figures put forward. You cannt blame the general public for their bad management skills . We were told by the drivers this morning that Heritage are taking over the service in some of the Mid Sussex area so lets hope they can do a better job and hopefully give some of the drivers a chance to keep their jobs. Roserj
  • Score: 0

7:27pm Tue 9 Oct 12

gingertea says...

Tink1076 wrote:
I am not a driver but my husband is and he found out at 9pm last night by someone pointing out this article, He drives in Mid sussex and was eworking yesterday. Wages not being paid was resolved by a finance company taking over the mayority of the shares over a year ago and the fuel shortaage was blamed on the rising cost and the company responsible for delivering it to the yard being behind on orders. yes we were aware for a time that they were in financial trouble but we thought this had been resolved by the company being divided into two Countryliner sussex and Countryliner Burgess hill Ltd and being supported by the finance company that stepped in last time. The company were ultimately responsible for informing their employees but the Argus has a responsibility to its readers to be aware of the full facts before publishing an article that sensationalised this story without taking into full consideration the inpact this has had on the families of the drivers that worked for them, who shouldn't be attacked about appearance of all things at such
a traumatic and uncertain time. at least the guys working there are still turning up to work even though they are unsure if they will be paid for it rather then running to the nearest jobcenter for free hand outs these guys should be applauded not critised.
Sorry but The Argus & Local Radio reported this as soon as it came from the company or its representatives late last night, you slate the paper for reporting News.
Any decent company worth its salts should inform its staff before it tells the rest of the world, that it not the Arguses fault if it has not.
It is going to be hard for any one losing their jobs but the point about appearance was simply the signs were for all to see as the company could n't careless what image it had and care little about its staff and the proof is what you are complaining about hearing the news from a third party.
[quote][p][bold]Tink1076[/bold] wrote: I am not a driver but my husband is and he found out at 9pm last night by someone pointing out this article, He drives in Mid sussex and was eworking yesterday. Wages not being paid was resolved by a finance company taking over the mayority of the shares over a year ago and the fuel shortaage was blamed on the rising cost and the company responsible for delivering it to the yard being behind on orders. yes we were aware for a time that they were in financial trouble but we thought this had been resolved by the company being divided into two Countryliner sussex and Countryliner Burgess hill Ltd and being supported by the finance company that stepped in last time. The company were ultimately responsible for informing their employees but the Argus has a responsibility to its readers to be aware of the full facts before publishing an article that sensationalised this story without taking into full consideration the inpact this has had on the families of the drivers that worked for them, who shouldn't be attacked about appearance of all things at such a traumatic and uncertain time. at least the guys working there are still turning up to work even though they are unsure if they will be paid for it rather then running to the nearest jobcenter for free hand outs these guys should be applauded not critised.[/p][/quote]Sorry but The Argus & Local Radio reported this as soon as it came from the company or its representatives late last night, you slate the paper for reporting News. Any decent company worth its salts should inform its staff before it tells the rest of the world, that it not the Arguses fault if it has not. It is going to be hard for any one losing their jobs but the point about appearance was simply the signs were for all to see as the company could n't careless what image it had and care little about its staff and the proof is what you are complaining about hearing the news from a third party. gingertea
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Tue 9 Oct 12

Tink1076 says...

gingertea wrote:
Tink1076 wrote:
I am not a driver but my husband is and he found out at 9pm last night by someone pointing out this article, He drives in Mid sussex and was eworking yesterday. Wages not being paid was resolved by a finance company taking over the mayority of the shares over a year ago and the fuel shortaage was blamed on the rising cost and the company responsible for delivering it to the yard being behind on orders. yes we were aware for a time that they were in financial trouble but we thought this had been resolved by the company being divided into two Countryliner sussex and Countryliner Burgess hill Ltd and being supported by the finance company that stepped in last time. The company were ultimately responsible for informing their employees but the Argus has a responsibility to its readers to be aware of the full facts before publishing an article that sensationalised this story without taking into full consideration the inpact this has had on the families of the drivers that worked for them, who shouldn't be attacked about appearance of all things at such
a traumatic and uncertain time. at least the guys working there are still turning up to work even though they are unsure if they will be paid for it rather then running to the nearest jobcenter for free hand outs these guys should be applauded not critised.
Sorry but The Argus & Local Radio reported this as soon as it came from the company or its representatives late last night, you slate the paper for reporting News.
Any decent company worth its salts should inform its staff before it tells the rest of the world, that it not the Arguses fault if it has not.
It is going to be hard for any one losing their jobs but the point about appearance was simply the signs were for all to see as the company could n't careless what image it had and care little about its staff and the proof is what you are complaining about hearing the news from a third party.
Lets hope that you never have to learn awful news from a third party. I agree the company is to blame for not letting their employees know and the newspapers job is to report the news but its the angle they took, children left stranded rather then compassion for the drivers and their family.
[quote][p][bold]gingertea[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Tink1076[/bold] wrote: I am not a driver but my husband is and he found out at 9pm last night by someone pointing out this article, He drives in Mid sussex and was eworking yesterday. Wages not being paid was resolved by a finance company taking over the mayority of the shares over a year ago and the fuel shortaage was blamed on the rising cost and the company responsible for delivering it to the yard being behind on orders. yes we were aware for a time that they were in financial trouble but we thought this had been resolved by the company being divided into two Countryliner sussex and Countryliner Burgess hill Ltd and being supported by the finance company that stepped in last time. The company were ultimately responsible for informing their employees but the Argus has a responsibility to its readers to be aware of the full facts before publishing an article that sensationalised this story without taking into full consideration the inpact this has had on the families of the drivers that worked for them, who shouldn't be attacked about appearance of all things at such a traumatic and uncertain time. at least the guys working there are still turning up to work even though they are unsure if they will be paid for it rather then running to the nearest jobcenter for free hand outs these guys should be applauded not critised.[/p][/quote]Sorry but The Argus & Local Radio reported this as soon as it came from the company or its representatives late last night, you slate the paper for reporting News. Any decent company worth its salts should inform its staff before it tells the rest of the world, that it not the Arguses fault if it has not. It is going to be hard for any one losing their jobs but the point about appearance was simply the signs were for all to see as the company could n't careless what image it had and care little about its staff and the proof is what you are complaining about hearing the news from a third party.[/p][/quote]Lets hope that you never have to learn awful news from a third party. I agree the company is to blame for not letting their employees know and the newspapers job is to report the news but its the angle they took, children left stranded rather then compassion for the drivers and their family. Tink1076
  • Score: 0

11:08pm Tue 9 Oct 12

gingertea says...

Actually Children left STRANDED is more important than a bust companies drivers and families.sorry but as a parent I want to know if my Children are unable to get to school, we also have to consider the impact on all those families. There are far to many children gone missing lately or would you rather the The Argus report a missing child due to Countryliner not turning up and the child could not get home. No the argus reported the facts, the BBC reported the facts, the c council reported the facts. Get over it and get things in the right order, OUR CHILDREN COME FIRST....
Actually Children left STRANDED is more important than a bust companies drivers and families.sorry but as a parent I want to know if my Children are unable to get to school, we also have to consider the impact on all those families. There are far to many children gone missing lately or would you rather the The Argus report a missing child due to Countryliner not turning up and the child could not get home. No the argus reported the facts, the BBC reported the facts, the c council reported the facts. Get over it and get things in the right order, OUR CHILDREN COME FIRST.... gingertea
  • Score: 0

7:28am Wed 10 Oct 12

davyboy says...

the directors of the company have the responsibility to ensure their business is viable, and must have known month ago there was a problem. they will have taken their share out already! drivers having to pay for fuel out of takings, shows a problem, not that fuel companies are behind on orders. that is simply that the fuel company will no longer allow credit terms, and require cash on delivery, something that countryliner couldn't do. a shame for all drivers, but the same has happened here in oxford, with RH Services going bust last week. when will companies learn to show the full cost for a running a service when tendering to the council, not just submitting the lowest quote and hoping for the best. the councils in return should show due diligence in ensuring all companies they contract, can financially afford to run the service. at the end of the day, it is your tax money they are spending, and ultimately causing your children to be stranded!!
the directors of the company have the responsibility to ensure their business is viable, and must have known month ago there was a problem. they will have taken their share out already! drivers having to pay for fuel out of takings, shows a problem, not that fuel companies are behind on orders. that is simply that the fuel company will no longer allow credit terms, and require cash on delivery, something that countryliner couldn't do. a shame for all drivers, but the same has happened here in oxford, with RH Services going bust last week. when will companies learn to show the full cost for a running a service when tendering to the council, not just submitting the lowest quote and hoping for the best. the councils in return should show due diligence in ensuring all companies they contract, can financially afford to run the service. at the end of the day, it is your tax money they are spending, and ultimately causing your children to be stranded!! davyboy
  • Score: 0

8:56am Wed 10 Oct 12

Capt. Sensiblé says...

Tink1076 wrote:
You seriously need to get your facts right before running stories like this. Have you checked Companies house????
Most companies tell their banks and financiers that they will be unable to meet obligations before they involve the registrar
[quote][p][bold]Tink1076[/bold] wrote: You seriously need to get your facts right before running stories like this. Have you checked Companies house????[/p][/quote]Most companies tell their banks and financiers that they will be unable to meet obligations before they involve the registrar Capt. Sensiblé
  • Score: 0

9:38am Wed 10 Oct 12

travelmaster says...

I think that there are certain people finding ways to get at people here. It is not the case of picking holes in who pays what.

Countryliner have a appling service in Mid Sussex, there have been occasions where I have had to walk three miles to get home.

Since the 40X was introdced there was a period where NHS workers got free travel. But now they have to pay a amnount for a pass which the other is susbsided by the BSUH so that makes them PAYING PASSENGERS.

As to the comments that have made by the elderly. Give them a break they get the passes on a national bus pass scheme and there fore they have WORKED and DERSERVE a break.
I think that there are certain people finding ways to get at people here. It is not the case of picking holes in who pays what. Countryliner have a appling service in Mid Sussex, there have been occasions where I have had to walk three miles to get home. Since the 40X was introdced there was a period where NHS workers got free travel. But now they have to pay a amnount for a pass which the other is susbsided by the BSUH so that makes them PAYING PASSENGERS. As to the comments that have made by the elderly. Give them a break they get the passes on a national bus pass scheme and there fore they have WORKED and DERSERVE a break. travelmaster
  • Score: 0

3:08pm Wed 10 Oct 12

Roserj says...

Well said Travelmaster. I have have contact West Sussex County Council by phone and e mail on numerous occasions re the dreadful service in the mid sussex area. I was told it had nothing to do with them, they only paid them the money. I reminded them that it wasnt their money but ours they were handing over to a company that clearly has been in financial trouble for years. We the public knew it but the powers to be really couldnt be bothered to check anything before they handed over hundreds of thousands of pounds .
Well said Travelmaster. I have have contact West Sussex County Council by phone and e mail on numerous occasions re the dreadful service in the mid sussex area. I was told it had nothing to do with them, they only paid them the money. I reminded them that it wasnt their money but ours they were handing over to a company that clearly has been in financial trouble for years. We the public knew it but the powers to be really couldnt be bothered to check anything before they handed over hundreds of thousands of pounds . Roserj
  • Score: 0

4:08pm Wed 10 Oct 12

gingertea says...

davyboy wrote:
the directors of the company have the responsibility to ensure their business is viable, and must have known month ago there was a problem. they will have taken their share out already! drivers having to pay for fuel out of takings, shows a problem, not that fuel companies are behind on orders. that is simply that the fuel company will no longer allow credit terms, and require cash on delivery, something that countryliner couldn't do. a shame for all drivers, but the same has happened here in oxford, with RH Services going bust last week. when will companies learn to show the full cost for a running a service when tendering to the council, not just submitting the lowest quote and hoping for the best. the councils in return should show due diligence in ensuring all companies they contract, can financially afford to run the service. at the end of the day, it is your tax money they are spending, and ultimately causing your children to be stranded!!
The problem with Countryliner was simply they tried doing to much too soon. They brought so many other firms out they outstretched what they could actually do.
The second problem is the free pass and I'm not having a go at anyone who has a pass it's the system that is wrong. Now before, a photocard had to be paid for at the council office I think it was 5.00 a year that gave half fare. So now its free that's money in the pot gone. Next, bus companies gained half fares from passengers and the councils made up the rest or close to it. That money is no longer in the Bus companies pot. The council do not pay what the fares are and with increased Pass Usage, it is a big difference, therefore, less money in the pot.
Contracts can be made to state a particular vehicle type ie single deck no more than 5 years old etc etc, bus and coach companies have to work out how much it would cost to run that vehicle over the next 5 years, fuel, wages, repairs etc etc. Often these companies will tender slightly cheaper in the hope of getting several contracts all at the same time.
The council then in most cases will select the cheaper quote and often ask if it can be done any cheaper and I beleive they only pay in arrears that might cause some a cash flow problem.
As for CL it is a shame but it was a case of when...
[quote][p][bold]davyboy[/bold] wrote: the directors of the company have the responsibility to ensure their business is viable, and must have known month ago there was a problem. they will have taken their share out already! drivers having to pay for fuel out of takings, shows a problem, not that fuel companies are behind on orders. that is simply that the fuel company will no longer allow credit terms, and require cash on delivery, something that countryliner couldn't do. a shame for all drivers, but the same has happened here in oxford, with RH Services going bust last week. when will companies learn to show the full cost for a running a service when tendering to the council, not just submitting the lowest quote and hoping for the best. the councils in return should show due diligence in ensuring all companies they contract, can financially afford to run the service. at the end of the day, it is your tax money they are spending, and ultimately causing your children to be stranded!![/p][/quote]The problem with Countryliner was simply they tried doing to much too soon. They brought so many other firms out they outstretched what they could actually do. The second problem is the free pass and I'm not having a go at anyone who has a pass it's the system that is wrong. Now before, a photocard had to be paid for at the council office I think it was 5.00 a year that gave half fare. So now its free that's money in the pot gone. Next, bus companies gained half fares from passengers and the councils made up the rest or close to it. That money is no longer in the Bus companies pot. The council do not pay what the fares are and with increased Pass Usage, it is a big difference, therefore, less money in the pot. Contracts can be made to state a particular vehicle type ie single deck no more than 5 years old etc etc, bus and coach companies have to work out how much it would cost to run that vehicle over the next 5 years, fuel, wages, repairs etc etc. Often these companies will tender slightly cheaper in the hope of getting several contracts all at the same time. The council then in most cases will select the cheaper quote and often ask if it can be done any cheaper and I beleive they only pay in arrears that might cause some a cash flow problem. As for CL it is a shame but it was a case of when... gingertea
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree