Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.
£1.5m to upgrade King Alfred leisure centre
10:26am Friday 21st November 2008 in News
Councillors last night discussed the future of the King Alfred Leisure Centre after plans for a £290 million housing and leisure complex fell through earlier this month.
Brighton and Hove city councillors agreed to spend £1.5 million bringing the building up to scratch. Urgent repairs are needed at the centre to meet health and safety standards after years of underinvestment.
Council leader Mary Mears said: “We are committed to keeping the King Alfred centre open to the public.”
Ted Kemble, the council’s cabinet member for major projects, said the authority would be looking at the best way of developing the site.
He said there was a need for a primary school in the area but later added there were no plans to build one.
Labour councillor Gill Mitchell and Green councillor Keith Taylor welcomed plans for the leisure centre to remain open.
Coun Mears said she would listen to residents’ views on the long-term future of the site.
● The man in charge of the future of the King Alfred will be answering your questions today.
Coun Kemble will respond to your queries online between midday and 1pm.