A MIXTURE of streets from across Brighton and Hove can be seen above, showing a traffic warden in action and even street art describing the press as a war-hound.

A traffic warden is shown giving a ticket in Ship Street, Brighton, during the 1980s.

Named after the Old Ship Inn, Ship Street was developed from around the start of the 17th century and was known as the ‘street of the Hempshares’ in old documents about Brighton and its fishing industry.

By the mid 18th century it was regarded as the most prosperous street in Brighton.

The economic boom that followed led to a large number of professionals flocking to the street, especially lawyers.

The first Royal Mail motor coach from London to Brighton, ran from Ship Street in 1905.

Also pictured in the street is a piece of graffiti warning people to beware of the press, comparing the media to a war-hound.

It was in Upper Gardner Street, Brighton, that barrow boys would gather from the end of the 19th century selling all sorts of goods.

One of the yards from where the barrows were hired, Diplocks, was located just around the corner in North Road.

Harry Cowley, a chimney sweep and workers’ rights activist fought for regular pitches for the traders during the 1920s.

The authorities finally gave way to pressure and made the street an official Saturday morning market.

The street can be seen above pictured during the 1990s.

The Kingswood flats in Carlton Hill, Brighton, were built in 1938 as part of Brighton Corporation’s slum clearance programme.

The flats are pictured above during the 1980s, after much of the programme was finished.

In 2008, Brighton and Hove City Council designated part of Carlton Hill as the city’s 34th conservation area.

It now contains housing of various styles and ages, large offices, a school and some open space.

The major commercial thoroughfare, Queen’s Road, pictured, was constructed in 1845 to improve access to Brighton Station.