THE landscape of Brighton and Hove has seen many changes with buildings old and new existing side by side with public artwork, many of which have been in need of renovation work
Back in 1976 future Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher paid a visit to the construction site of the Brighton Centre, a new conference and exhibition centre which was officially opened a year later.
The building was designed by architects Russell Diplock and Associates, who made extensive use of textured concrete.
In 1983, work had to be carried out to replace the sails at the historic West Blatchington Mill in Hove.
The mill was built in the 1820s and painted by John Constable in 1825.
It was given a Grade II* listed building status on March 24, 1950, and is closely maintained.
There was also plenty happening underground in the city, with an extensive network of Victorian sewers built to accommodate the area’s fast-growing population.
The sewers can still be visited on tours operated by Southern Water.
Keeping to the water theme, the picture above shows the old Royal Spa in Queens Park before renovation work in 1967.
The spa was created by Frederick Struve, a research chemist from Saxony, who had invented a machine that reproduced the characteristics of natural mineral water using chemicals, which he believed would be a hit in the fashionable Brighton of the 1820s.
Other buildings of note included the old music library in Church Street while another image shows the view from New England Road in 1962.
Sadly not all pieces of work got the recognition they deserved, with a statue of runner Steve Ovett destroyed by vandals.