Poyet says Dobbie's future is at Albion

Stephen Dobbie is part of Gus Poyet's long-term plans

Stephen Dobbie is part of Gus Poyet's long-term plans

First published in Sport by , Chief sports reporter

ALBION boss Gus Poyet has dismissed speculation over striker Stephen Dobbie’s future and revealed the summer signing from Swansea remains very much part of his long-term plans.

Dobbie has made only five starts since signing a three-year contract at the end of the August transfer window.

The 30-year-old Glaswegian has not been in the squad for the last three games against Derby, Birmingham and Blackburn and will be kicking his heels again against Arsenal in the FA Cup at The Amex tomorrow now that Vicente has returned from injury.

A recent report in a national newspaper claimed Dobbie had been told he can leave but Poyet said: “No, I haven’t talked to him, not at all.

“If I was talking to him in that kind of extreme situation the player would know first and I didn’t talk to him.

“I don’t think the chairman (Tony Bloom) has talked, because he’s not in England, and I suppose David (head of football operations David Burke) hasn’t as well, so no.

“When we got Dobbs we knew Vicente was not available, we knew we were in a very difficult situation with Macca (Craig Mackail-Smith). We didn’t know if he was leaving or not at 5 o’clock on the 31st (August).

“We used him as much as we could. Something is not clicking for him and the team and now that we have got Vicente back and other strikers it’s just a matter of numbers. I cannot play everyone.

“I am not bothered because he has got the quality and the idea is to use him at the right time in the right moment and for the team to click. At the moment it hasn’t but it hasn’t for a few. “The rest have been a little bit lucky because of their positions and they are playing.”

Albion were still waiting for international clearance last night for new striker Leonardo Ulloa to be eligible to face the Gunners. The Argentinian target man has already been forced to sit out the draws at Birmingham and Derby following his move from Spanish club Almeria.

Albion’s final game of the season at home to Wolves on Saturday May will-kick off at 12.45pm with the rest of the Championship programme to accommodate live coverage by Sky of the promotion and relegation issues.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:26am Fri 25 Jan 13

7Rookie says...

Disappointed in him so far but based on his time at Blackpool and Swansea there must be a player in there some where
Disappointed in him so far but based on his time at Blackpool and Swansea there must be a player in there some where 7Rookie
  • Score: 0

9:31am Fri 25 Jan 13

lotsofducks says...

Had to be amused by the juxtaposition of the paragraphs beginning "Albion were still waiting for international clearance last night for new striker Leonardo Ulloa..." and "Albion’s final game of the season at home to Wolves..." Is the Argus suggesting it will take that long to get this international clearance? I sure hope not!
Had to be amused by the juxtaposition of the paragraphs beginning "Albion were still waiting for international clearance last night for new striker Leonardo Ulloa..." and "Albion’s final game of the season at home to Wolves..." Is the Argus suggesting it will take that long to get this international clearance? I sure hope not! lotsofducks
  • Score: 0

9:44am Fri 25 Jan 13

SMF20 says...

The Dobbie situation is a difficult one.
Anyone that has seen this guy play over a period of time will know that he really is a class act. He is technically very gifted and certainly has the ability to go past a man and get a decent strike on target.
His problem lies in the lack of game time he has had. As Gus says, he can't start everyone and sadly Dobbie has been one of the victims of this. He certainly should have been given more opportunity but sadly this does not appear to be Gp's way, it's instant success or you're out again.
I have no issues with what GP does as he is the man with the marvellous opportunity of making this club a big player, with that though comes responsibility and Gus will either live or die by his decisions.
What does infuriate me though is the lack of 2nd string games or whatever you want to call it. We have some incredibly talented guys warming the bench week in week out and others such as Dobbie that can't even make the bench. Surely it must be possible to knock up a couple of friendliest a month so these fringe guys can get some match sharpness and game time. There certainly used to be this kind of opportunity.
Anyway, here's hoping Mr Dobbie comes good.
Uta
The Dobbie situation is a difficult one. Anyone that has seen this guy play over a period of time will know that he really is a class act. He is technically very gifted and certainly has the ability to go past a man and get a decent strike on target. His problem lies in the lack of game time he has had. As Gus says, he can't start everyone and sadly Dobbie has been one of the victims of this. He certainly should have been given more opportunity but sadly this does not appear to be Gp's way, it's instant success or you're out again. I have no issues with what GP does as he is the man with the marvellous opportunity of making this club a big player, with that though comes responsibility and Gus will either live or die by his decisions. What does infuriate me though is the lack of 2nd string games or whatever you want to call it. We have some incredibly talented guys warming the bench week in week out and others such as Dobbie that can't even make the bench. Surely it must be possible to knock up a couple of friendliest a month so these fringe guys can get some match sharpness and game time. There certainly used to be this kind of opportunity. Anyway, here's hoping Mr Dobbie comes good. Uta SMF20
  • Score: 0

9:57am Fri 25 Jan 13

northernseagull1 says...

Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?
Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow? northernseagull1
  • Score: 0

9:58am Fri 25 Jan 13

pablobrowno says...

Similar is true of Hoskins. He was our best player on the pitch when he came on with 15 mins (ish) remaining on Tuesday night. Held the ball up really well and linked play excellently. He was the only player who could retain possession, yet he hardly gets a minute's game time. Really frustrating as you feel with more game time he could be a key player for us but will.probably end up moving elsewhere in the summer.
Similar is true of Hoskins. He was our best player on the pitch when he came on with 15 mins (ish) remaining on Tuesday night. Held the ball up really well and linked play excellently. He was the only player who could retain possession, yet he hardly gets a minute's game time. Really frustrating as you feel with more game time he could be a key player for us but will.probably end up moving elsewhere in the summer. pablobrowno
  • Score: 0

10:09am Fri 25 Jan 13

LesBerry says...

northernseagull1 wrote:
Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?
I've just got through to the club (25 mins on hold !) - I didn't book my season ticket in time so had to get different seat, I was told i would be sent a paper ticket as they cannot put different seats on my season ticket (e-card) - the paper ticket never arrived. I have now been told this morning that they are now able to put a different seat on my ticket and this is what has been done.. Obviously would have been nice to have been given the correct information at point of purchasing ticket but at least I have my ticket.. Posting this as I am guessing there are other people in similar position.. Sorry if you are not..
[quote][p][bold]northernseagull1[/bold] wrote: Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?[/p][/quote]I've just got through to the club (25 mins on hold !) - I didn't book my season ticket in time so had to get different seat, I was told i would be sent a paper ticket as they cannot put different seats on my season ticket (e-card) - the paper ticket never arrived. I have now been told this morning that they are now able to put a different seat on my ticket and this is what has been done.. Obviously would have been nice to have been given the correct information at point of purchasing ticket but at least I have my ticket.. Posting this as I am guessing there are other people in similar position.. Sorry if you are not.. LesBerry
  • Score: 0

10:10am Fri 25 Jan 13

mikeygit says...

It is a very strange one--and as 'the best managers out of football' we as spectators cannot get our heads around the fact that we see Dobbie as a 'class act' and Hoskins as a player who puts a spark into a game when he comes on and yet WE feel Gus cannot see that. He is the man in charge and to a dgree we have to trust his judgement. But it somewhat beggars belief that with Dobbie, at aged 30, has experience and skill just continues to sit on the sideleines and sometimes not in the squad. IMHO he can only get experience of how Albion play when he is on the pitch not just a few 20 mins here and there. OOOOH so frustrating!!!! Bit like a car that you just cannot select the right gears!!
It is a very strange one--and as 'the best managers out of football' we as spectators cannot get our heads around the fact that we see Dobbie as a 'class act' and Hoskins as a player who puts a spark into a game when he comes on and yet WE feel Gus cannot see that. He is the man in charge and to a dgree we have to trust his judgement. But it somewhat beggars belief that with Dobbie, at aged 30, has experience and skill just continues to sit on the sideleines and sometimes not in the squad. IMHO he can only get experience of how Albion play when he is on the pitch not just a few 20 mins here and there. OOOOH so frustrating!!!! Bit like a car that you just cannot select the right gears!! mikeygit
  • Score: 0

10:13am Fri 25 Jan 13

fratsomrover says...

Seems a strange statement for Gus to make when the guy cant even get a place on the bench. Like all players they need a run in the team to show their true potential and I dont understand why he or Hoskins have not been given more match time. I rate both above Barnes yet neither get a sniff of the action. One of the seasons mysteries ?
Still lets hope we go for it tomorrow. I hope they've cleared all the snow cos The Amex resembled Kitzbuhl when I went there Wednesday. Snow avalanging off the roof and car parks all iced up. Quite tricky just walking round. Pitch was fine mind you.
Seems a strange statement for Gus to make when the guy cant even get a place on the bench. Like all players they need a run in the team to show their true potential and I dont understand why he or Hoskins have not been given more match time. I rate both above Barnes yet neither get a sniff of the action. One of the seasons mysteries ? Still lets hope we go for it tomorrow. I hope they've cleared all the snow cos The Amex resembled Kitzbuhl when I went there Wednesday. Snow avalanging off the roof and car parks all iced up. Quite tricky just walking round. Pitch was fine mind you. fratsomrover
  • Score: 0

10:15am Fri 25 Jan 13

northernseagull1 says...

LesBerry wrote:
northernseagull1 wrote:
Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?
I've just got through to the club (25 mins on hold !) - I didn't book my season ticket in time so had to get different seat, I was told i would be sent a paper ticket as they cannot put different seats on my season ticket (e-card) - the paper ticket never arrived. I have now been told this morning that they are now able to put a different seat on my ticket and this is what has been done.. Obviously would have been nice to have been given the correct information at point of purchasing ticket but at least I have my ticket.. Posting this as I am guessing there are other people in similar position.. Sorry if you are not..
Yer exactly the same for me also, I asked the chap on the other end and he said I was the only person not to have recieved tickets yet! I have my ticket on my season card but my friends is a paper ticket - so now I've got to go to the ticket office before the match and pick it up. Annoying because now he will have to pay for travel. A bit of snow and the who infrastructure crumbles. Oh well. Hope its a cracker of a game!
[quote][p][bold]LesBerry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northernseagull1[/bold] wrote: Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?[/p][/quote]I've just got through to the club (25 mins on hold !) - I didn't book my season ticket in time so had to get different seat, I was told i would be sent a paper ticket as they cannot put different seats on my season ticket (e-card) - the paper ticket never arrived. I have now been told this morning that they are now able to put a different seat on my ticket and this is what has been done.. Obviously would have been nice to have been given the correct information at point of purchasing ticket but at least I have my ticket.. Posting this as I am guessing there are other people in similar position.. Sorry if you are not..[/p][/quote]Yer exactly the same for me also, I asked the chap on the other end and he said I was the only person not to have recieved tickets yet! I have my ticket on my season card but my friends is a paper ticket - so now I've got to go to the ticket office before the match and pick it up. Annoying because now he will have to pay for travel. A bit of snow and the who infrastructure crumbles. Oh well. Hope its a cracker of a game! northernseagull1
  • Score: 0

10:29am Fri 25 Jan 13

7Rookie says...

northernseagull1 wrote:
LesBerry wrote:
northernseagull1 wrote:
Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?
I've just got through to the club (25 mins on hold !) - I didn't book my season ticket in time so had to get different seat, I was told i would be sent a paper ticket as they cannot put different seats on my season ticket (e-card) - the paper ticket never arrived. I have now been told this morning that they are now able to put a different seat on my ticket and this is what has been done.. Obviously would have been nice to have been given the correct information at point of purchasing ticket but at least I have my ticket.. Posting this as I am guessing there are other people in similar position.. Sorry if you are not..
Yer exactly the same for me also, I asked the chap on the other end and he said I was the only person not to have recieved tickets yet! I have my ticket on my season card but my friends is a paper ticket - so now I've got to go to the ticket office before the match and pick it up. Annoying because now he will have to pay for travel. A bit of snow and the who infrastructure crumbles. Oh well. Hope its a cracker of a game!
He won't have to pay for travel just take the email confirmation of tickets and that will suffice.
Was about to phone the ticket office as not received my paper ticket but says on the club's website about the season ticket now being 'loaded' with tickets no matter where sat in the ground
[quote][p][bold]northernseagull1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]LesBerry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northernseagull1[/bold] wrote: Has anyone not recieved their tickets for tomorrow?[/p][/quote]I've just got through to the club (25 mins on hold !) - I didn't book my season ticket in time so had to get different seat, I was told i would be sent a paper ticket as they cannot put different seats on my season ticket (e-card) - the paper ticket never arrived. I have now been told this morning that they are now able to put a different seat on my ticket and this is what has been done.. Obviously would have been nice to have been given the correct information at point of purchasing ticket but at least I have my ticket.. Posting this as I am guessing there are other people in similar position.. Sorry if you are not..[/p][/quote]Yer exactly the same for me also, I asked the chap on the other end and he said I was the only person not to have recieved tickets yet! I have my ticket on my season card but my friends is a paper ticket - so now I've got to go to the ticket office before the match and pick it up. Annoying because now he will have to pay for travel. A bit of snow and the who infrastructure crumbles. Oh well. Hope its a cracker of a game![/p][/quote]He won't have to pay for travel just take the email confirmation of tickets and that will suffice. Was about to phone the ticket office as not received my paper ticket but says on the club's website about the season ticket now being 'loaded' with tickets no matter where sat in the ground 7Rookie
  • Score: 0

10:44am Fri 25 Jan 13

heathgate says...

Dobbie must stay, I think he will be key to the depth of our squad when suspensions and injuries start kicking in again.....
Dobbie must stay, I think he will be key to the depth of our squad when suspensions and injuries start kicking in again..... heathgate
  • Score: 0

10:50am Fri 25 Jan 13

Eddy B says...

I do feel a bit sorry for him. If he can't get in the team with all the injuries and lack of goals we've had it doesn't bode well with the likes of CMS still with us, Ulloa signing, and Hoskins and Vicente coming back. I thought he looked good the times I've seen him - Agdestein is another one who isn't likely to get a sniff but then Gus is building a strong squad and we will certainly need one as we progress towards the premiership.
I do feel a bit sorry for him. If he can't get in the team with all the injuries and lack of goals we've had it doesn't bode well with the likes of CMS still with us, Ulloa signing, and Hoskins and Vicente coming back. I thought he looked good the times I've seen him - Agdestein is another one who isn't likely to get a sniff but then Gus is building a strong squad and we will certainly need one as we progress towards the premiership. Eddy B
  • Score: 0

11:01am Fri 25 Jan 13

Chi Gull says...

Dobbie did have a bit of a run when Macca was injured and didn't impress. Its up to him to have an impact off the bench (when he gets the chance) and get back in the team. Gus can't afford to give people a run in the team in the hope that they find their form.

For those who rate Hoskins and Dobbe ahead of Barnes - i.e.most of posters here - neither of them can match Barnes' work rate, defensive capabilities, and ability to get in the box and score goals Some seem to forget he was our top scorer last season.
Dobbie did have a bit of a run when Macca was injured and didn't impress. Its up to him to have an impact off the bench (when he gets the chance) and get back in the team. Gus can't afford to give people a run in the team in the hope that they find their form. For those who rate Hoskins and Dobbe ahead of Barnes - i.e.most of posters here - neither of them can match Barnes' work rate, defensive capabilities, and ability to get in the box and score goals Some seem to forget he was our top scorer last season. Chi Gull
  • Score: 0

11:17am Fri 25 Jan 13

heathgate says...

Dobbie and Hoskins for me,.. they are wayhead of AB,.... if either of them had as many chances as AB, they would be top scorer too.
Dobbie and Hoskins for me,.. they are wayhead of AB,.... if either of them had as many chances as AB, they would be top scorer too. heathgate
  • Score: 0

11:42am Fri 25 Jan 13

Hovite says...

heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this.

Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play.

Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored?

A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.
heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this. Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play. Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored? A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game. Hovite
  • Score: 0

11:50am Fri 25 Jan 13

SMF20 says...

Hovite wrote:
heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this.

Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play.

Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored?

A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.
I agree with your point Hovite, he certainly is versatile.

He is a striker though and so should be judged on this.
You run off all the positions he can play and you're are right but is he as good on the left as Lua Lua or Orlandi? Is he as good in the middle as Bridcutt or Vicente? Is he as good on the right as Buckley? The answer is No.
He is a good player and he is Mr versatile but he is a striker 1st and foremost and that is how he should be judged.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this. Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play. Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored? A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.[/p][/quote]I agree with your point Hovite, he certainly is versatile. He is a striker though and so should be judged on this. You run off all the positions he can play and you're are right but is he as good on the left as Lua Lua or Orlandi? Is he as good in the middle as Bridcutt or Vicente? Is he as good on the right as Buckley? The answer is No. He is a good player and he is Mr versatile but he is a striker 1st and foremost and that is how he should be judged. SMF20
  • Score: 0

12:16pm Fri 25 Jan 13

Hovite says...

No he is not as good as KLL or Orlandi on the left, however when they play, he plays in the middle of the park, links with them and covers them.

He is the only player we have got that Gus can rely on playing anywhere during the game. He is the player who's postition is fluid during the game. This is what Gus is coaching him to do.

I completely understand Barnes's role within the team, and at 23, I beleive that this bodes well for the future.
No he is not as good as KLL or Orlandi on the left, however when they play, he plays in the middle of the park, links with them and covers them. He is the only player we have got that Gus can rely on playing anywhere during the game. He is the player who's postition is fluid during the game. This is what Gus is coaching him to do. I completely understand Barnes's role within the team, and at 23, I beleive that this bodes well for the future. Hovite
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Fri 25 Jan 13

cvs says...

Hovite wrote:
heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this.

Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play.

Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored?

A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.
How do you know what positions Dobbie can or can't play in?
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this. Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play. Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored? A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.[/p][/quote]How do you know what positions Dobbie can or can't play in? cvs
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Fri 25 Jan 13

SMF20 says...

The AB debate will go on forever Hovite.

As I always say "each to there own"

Have a good day.
The AB debate will go on forever Hovite. As I always say "each to there own" Have a good day. SMF20
  • Score: 0

12:29pm Fri 25 Jan 13

VegasSeagull says...

Barnes is a striker because that's how he is listed in the bios and because of his playing history. Today I would change his bio to read, utility player.
David did well when stepping into the right back position but his success in that role was partly due to Barnes being in front of him, they clicked nicely.

Could Hoskins or Dobbie do what Barnes did with David, I don't think they could as they are both one role players.
Barnes is a striker because that's how he is listed in the bios and because of his playing history. Today I would change his bio to read, utility player. David did well when stepping into the right back position but his success in that role was partly due to Barnes being in front of him, they clicked nicely. Could Hoskins or Dobbie do what Barnes did with David, I don't think they could as they are both one role players. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

12:33pm Fri 25 Jan 13

wiseman of hove says...

SMF20 wrote:
The AB debate will go on forever Hovite.

As I always say "each to there own"

Have a good day.
Far comment. As usual, just hope Hoskins has a chance tomorrow. I have absolutely no doubts about his ability or versatility.
Tomorrow can't come quick enough for me - close game.
[quote][p][bold]SMF20[/bold] wrote: The AB debate will go on forever Hovite. As I always say "each to there own" Have a good day.[/p][/quote]Far comment. As usual, just hope Hoskins has a chance tomorrow. I have absolutely no doubts about his ability or versatility. Tomorrow can't come quick enough for me - close game. wiseman of hove
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Fri 25 Jan 13

VegasSeagull says...

I think that there is a good chance that at some point against Arsenal Hoskins will replace either CMS or Ulloa, probabaly CMS. How long he will get might be decided by Arsenal.
I think that there is a good chance that at some point against Arsenal Hoskins will replace either CMS or Ulloa, probabaly CMS. How long he will get might be decided by Arsenal. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

12:49pm Fri 25 Jan 13

Hovite says...

cvs wrote:
Hovite wrote:
heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this.

Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play.

Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored?

A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.
How do you know what positions Dobbie can or can't play in?
Any role that doesn't also involve defensive duties.
[quote][p][bold]cvs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: heathgate, AB is vertatile, I keep writing this. Barnes can play left wing,right wing, middle, back, front and upside down at anytime during the game, when instructed to do so. Hoskins and Dobbie are limitied in the positions they can play. Do you agree with this point, because it's a big point, that is completely ignored? A good example of this was Barnes playing on the right when Lopez played as a wing back. He had a great game.[/p][/quote]How do you know what positions Dobbie can or can't play in?[/p][/quote]Any role that doesn't also involve defensive duties. Hovite
  • Score: 0

1:25pm Fri 25 Jan 13

VegasSeagull says...

I have often wondered what role Dobbie has with Brighton and having given this article a second read it would seem that he was bought as a replacement for CMS.

Brighton, it would seem, didn't have confidence that they could keep CMS, in fact it seems that they thought he was gone with just hours left for the window to close so they quickly done the deal for Dobbie, but then the sale of CMS fell thru.

My guess is that had the club known for certain that CMS would not be going they would not have bought Dobbie.
If I am right, and given that Gus says that Dobbie does have a future at Brighton, perhaps Gus is still of the opinion that CMS will move on at some point.
I have often wondered what role Dobbie has with Brighton and having given this article a second read it would seem that he was bought as a replacement for CMS. Brighton, it would seem, didn't have confidence that they could keep CMS, in fact it seems that they thought he was gone with just hours left for the window to close so they quickly done the deal for Dobbie, but then the sale of CMS fell thru. My guess is that had the club known for certain that CMS would not be going they would not have bought Dobbie. If I am right, and given that Gus says that Dobbie does have a future at Brighton, perhaps Gus is still of the opinion that CMS will move on at some point. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Fri 25 Jan 13

CAKEBEARD says...

That's a shame ...he's crap
That's a shame ...he's crap CAKEBEARD
  • Score: 0

3:01pm Fri 25 Jan 13

Perseus says...

Is he fit? He should run faster with his build?
Is he fit? He should run faster with his build? Perseus
  • Score: 0

3:25pm Fri 25 Jan 13

fratsomrover says...

Hovite wrote:
No he is not as good as KLL or Orlandi on the left, however when they play, he plays in the middle of the park, links with them and covers them.

He is the only player we have got that Gus can rely on playing anywhere during the game. He is the player who's postition is fluid during the game. This is what Gus is coaching him to do.

I completely understand Barnes's role within the team, and at 23, I beleive that this bodes well for the future.
What you mean is he's a Jack of all trades, master of none.
Think I agree with that.
The thing is we need master craftsmen to get promoted and we wont with Jack of all trades.
[quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: No he is not as good as KLL or Orlandi on the left, however when they play, he plays in the middle of the park, links with them and covers them. He is the only player we have got that Gus can rely on playing anywhere during the game. He is the player who's postition is fluid during the game. This is what Gus is coaching him to do. I completely understand Barnes's role within the team, and at 23, I beleive that this bodes well for the future.[/p][/quote]What you mean is he's a Jack of all trades, master of none. Think I agree with that. The thing is we need master craftsmen to get promoted and we wont with Jack of all trades. fratsomrover
  • Score: 0

4:22pm Fri 25 Jan 13

tinker111 says...

fratsomrover wrote:
Seems a strange statement for Gus to make when the guy cant even get a place on the bench. Like all players they need a run in the team to show their true potential and I dont understand why he or Hoskins have not been given more match time. I rate both above Barnes yet neither get a sniff of the action. One of the seasons mysteries ?
Still lets hope we go for it tomorrow. I hope they've cleared all the snow cos The Amex resembled Kitzbuhl when I went there Wednesday. Snow avalanging off the roof and car parks all iced up. Quite tricky just walking round. Pitch was fine mind you.
Sorry you dont see it Gus way but Barnes work rate,defending and talent is way above the two in mention Dobbie bad signing me thinks
[quote][p][bold]fratsomrover[/bold] wrote: Seems a strange statement for Gus to make when the guy cant even get a place on the bench. Like all players they need a run in the team to show their true potential and I dont understand why he or Hoskins have not been given more match time. I rate both above Barnes yet neither get a sniff of the action. One of the seasons mysteries ? Still lets hope we go for it tomorrow. I hope they've cleared all the snow cos The Amex resembled Kitzbuhl when I went there Wednesday. Snow avalanging off the roof and car parks all iced up. Quite tricky just walking round. Pitch was fine mind you.[/p][/quote]Sorry you dont see it Gus way but Barnes work rate,defending and talent is way above the two in mention Dobbie bad signing me thinks tinker111
  • Score: 0

8:39pm Fri 25 Jan 13

Hovite says...

fratsomrover wrote:
Hovite wrote:
No he is not as good as KLL or Orlandi on the left, however when they play, he plays in the middle of the park, links with them and covers them.

He is the only player we have got that Gus can rely on playing anywhere during the game. He is the player who's postition is fluid during the game. This is what Gus is coaching him to do.

I completely understand Barnes's role within the team, and at 23, I beleive that this bodes well for the future.
What you mean is he's a Jack of all trades, master of none.
Think I agree with that.
The thing is we need master craftsmen to get promoted and we wont with Jack of all trades.
You say Jack of all trades, I say versatile.

So you think at 23 Barnes's career is over and he won't progress?

Look, Gus has chosen him for a purpose and if you don't want to read my explanation that’s fine, Gus knows what I am talking about.
[quote][p][bold]fratsomrover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Hovite[/bold] wrote: No he is not as good as KLL or Orlandi on the left, however when they play, he plays in the middle of the park, links with them and covers them. He is the only player we have got that Gus can rely on playing anywhere during the game. He is the player who's postition is fluid during the game. This is what Gus is coaching him to do. I completely understand Barnes's role within the team, and at 23, I beleive that this bodes well for the future.[/p][/quote]What you mean is he's a Jack of all trades, master of none. Think I agree with that. The thing is we need master craftsmen to get promoted and we wont with Jack of all trades.[/p][/quote]You say Jack of all trades, I say versatile. So you think at 23 Barnes's career is over and he won't progress? Look, Gus has chosen him for a purpose and if you don't want to read my explanation that’s fine, Gus knows what I am talking about. Hovite
  • Score: 0

9:53pm Fri 25 Jan 13

Freeloaders says...

Yet again i find myself on strange ground with this one.I think Hovite is spot on about Barnes.If you all think Hovite is so wrong about this?Well you must also think Gus don't know what his doing.You can't have it both ways.
Yet again i find myself on strange ground with this one.I think Hovite is spot on about Barnes.If you all think Hovite is so wrong about this?Well you must also think Gus don't know what his doing.You can't have it both ways. Freeloaders
  • Score: 0

1:11am Sat 26 Jan 13

Captain Haddock says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
I have often wondered what role Dobbie has with Brighton and having given this article a second read it would seem that he was bought as a replacement for CMS.

Brighton, it would seem, didn't have confidence that they could keep CMS, in fact it seems that they thought he was gone with just hours left for the window to close so they quickly done the deal for Dobbie, but then the sale of CMS fell thru.

My guess is that had the club known for certain that CMS would not be going they would not have bought Dobbie.
If I am right, and given that Gus says that Dobbie does have a future at Brighton, perhaps Gus is still of the opinion that CMS will move on at some point.
An astute point and just what I was wondering.

It's certainly a possibility, although as with then I doubt they will know themselves until (near) the end of the window - next week.

However, Gus didn't make a comprehensive argument re: Dobbie as he said he didn't think TB had spoken to Dobbie as he's not in the country....does he really have to be to have spoken to him? And wouldn't Gus have the say-so about departures?
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I have often wondered what role Dobbie has with Brighton and having given this article a second read it would seem that he was bought as a replacement for CMS. Brighton, it would seem, didn't have confidence that they could keep CMS, in fact it seems that they thought he was gone with just hours left for the window to close so they quickly done the deal for Dobbie, but then the sale of CMS fell thru. My guess is that had the club known for certain that CMS would not be going they would not have bought Dobbie. If I am right, and given that Gus says that Dobbie does have a future at Brighton, perhaps Gus is still of the opinion that CMS will move on at some point.[/p][/quote]An astute point and just what I was wondering. It's certainly a possibility, although as with then I doubt they will know themselves until (near) the end of the window - next week. However, Gus didn't make a comprehensive argument re: Dobbie as he said he didn't think TB had spoken to Dobbie as he's not in the country....does he really have to be to have spoken to him? And wouldn't Gus have the say-so about departures? Captain Haddock
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree