Upson a mean machine for Albion

The Argus: Matt Upson, Albion's Mister Indestructible Matt Upson, Albion's Mister Indestructible

Matt Upson will maintain a remarkable record for Albion if he plays from the first whistle to the last at Middlesbrough tomorrow.

There is every chance it will happen, since the Seagulls' Mister Indestructible has played every minute of every Championship match.

That is 39 consecutive full appearances, including the play-offs, since signing initially on loan from Stoke at the end of the January transfer window last season and then permanently on a one-year contract in the summer.

Upson's achievement is all the more impressive when you consider that practically every other member of the squad has been out injured at one time or another and that, at 35 next April, he is Albion's oldest player.

Remaining wound-free is partly a matter of fortune. Some injuries, whether in matches or training, are unavoidable.

Upson's enviable run is not all about luck though. It also has a lot to do with the way he looks after himself and the experience gained by the former England centre-half during a 17-year career, most of it at top level.

Upson told The Argus: "It's been an absolute journey. You learn so much along the way.

"It's all to do with that, I think, and understanding my body and what I need from a week's training and treatment in order to be ready to play on a Saturday, which is obviously the most important thing.

"It varies on how I feel, how my body is. That gets tailored a little bit to the individual. Obviously you have a nucleus of work that the coaches and management set out but, if come the end of the game or there is a specific thing, I am old enough and experienced enough to have a conversation on the Monday or Tuesday and say look maybe this week I need to just step out and do something different.

"In all fairness to the manager he is very accomodating and understands that and manages it really well."

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:28pm Fri 13 Dec 13

TheWerewolf says...

Upson has been a top performer for the Albion since his arrival. He deserves to return to the top flight. Lets hope he can do that with us this year!
Upson has been a top performer for the Albion since his arrival. He deserves to return to the top flight. Lets hope he can do that with us this year! TheWerewolf

3:35pm Fri 13 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

and all because we missed out on the young Dutch lad that ended up going to Celtic, funny old game isn't it
and all because we missed out on the young Dutch lad that ended up going to Celtic, funny old game isn't it VegasSeagull

3:51pm Fri 13 Dec 13

albionfan33 says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
and all because we missed out on the young Dutch lad that ended up going to Celtic, funny old game isn't it
we still would of signed upson greer would of then gone to leeds
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and all because we missed out on the young Dutch lad that ended up going to Celtic, funny old game isn't it[/p][/quote]we still would of signed upson greer would of then gone to leeds albionfan33

3:57pm Fri 13 Dec 13

VegasSeagull says...

albionfan33 wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
and all because we missed out on the young Dutch lad that ended up going to Celtic, funny old game isn't it
we still would of signed upson greer would of then gone to leeds
yep you could be right about that
[quote][p][bold]albionfan33[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: and all because we missed out on the young Dutch lad that ended up going to Celtic, funny old game isn't it[/p][/quote]we still would of signed upson greer would of then gone to leeds[/p][/quote]yep you could be right about that VegasSeagull

4:19pm Fri 13 Dec 13

tug509 says...

Great article Andy Naylor,points out not only what an excellent athlete Matty is,that he can see a problem before it happens,but that our management are open to a players request for preventative measures to insure the correct training necessary. It`s a little unfortunate that this skill appears to be learnt with experience,and perhaps is hard to teach.

Congratulations and thanks MU,for being an integral part of a great back five,and i am sure TK is glad your there,good luck tomorrow,another lock out !. UTA
Great article Andy Naylor,points out not only what an excellent athlete Matty is,that he can see a problem before it happens,but that our management are open to a players request for preventative measures to insure the correct training necessary. It`s a little unfortunate that this skill appears to be learnt with experience,and perhaps is hard to teach. Congratulations and thanks MU,for being an integral part of a great back five,and i am sure TK is glad your there,good luck tomorrow,another lock out !. UTA tug509

4:23pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Joel'sGrandad says...

Matthew is a top pro and it's amazing how he can keep going whilst younger players keep getting injured. Perhaps it's luck, perhaps it's his experience in knowing when to ease off a little. Perhaps our younger players push themselves too hard both on and off the pitch and should look to Matthew as a mentor to find the right balance. Whatever it is I'd like some of what Matthew is having. UTA
Matthew is a top pro and it's amazing how he can keep going whilst younger players keep getting injured. Perhaps it's luck, perhaps it's his experience in knowing when to ease off a little. Perhaps our younger players push themselves too hard both on and off the pitch and should look to Matthew as a mentor to find the right balance. Whatever it is I'd like some of what Matthew is having. UTA Joel'sGrandad

5:10pm Fri 13 Dec 13

pjwilk says...

Well
Well pjwilk

5:12pm Fri 13 Dec 13

pjwilk says...

Well done Upson,a good player and seeminly bullet proof for his age.
Well done Upson,a good player and seeminly bullet proof for his age. pjwilk

5:42pm Fri 13 Dec 13

albion64 says...

He is a fantastic player, without question. I hope the Argus piece doesn't jinx us though. We have had enough injuries and don't deserve any more. I am an optimist, honest! UTA
He is a fantastic player, without question. I hope the Argus piece doesn't jinx us though. We have had enough injuries and don't deserve any more. I am an optimist, honest! UTA albion64

5:46pm Fri 13 Dec 13

LAWgull says...

I Know there are not two games every week But where are all the brigade including management who say two games in one week is too much for some players ????
I Know there are not two games every week But where are all the brigade including management who say two games in one week is too much for some players ???? LAWgull

5:51pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Ex-pat Arnie says...

LAWgull wrote:
I Know there are not two games every week But where are all the brigade including management who say two games in one week is too much for some players ????
Because sometimes it can take a whole week to recover from a match .
[quote][p][bold]LAWgull[/bold] wrote: I Know there are not two games every week But where are all the brigade including management who say two games in one week is too much for some players ????[/p][/quote]Because sometimes it can take a whole week to recover from a match . Ex-pat Arnie

7:04pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Neville says...

Excellent signing and very very consistent,does not often get beaten due to his positional awareness and great in the air both attacking and defending. Also very few yellow cards.
Excellent signing and very very consistent,does not often get beaten due to his positional awareness and great in the air both attacking and defending. Also very few yellow cards. Neville

7:29pm Fri 13 Dec 13

To baldly go says...

A true pro that should maybe take up a job as a defensive coach when he hangs up his boots, the likes of Dunk and others could learn a lot from him on how to conduct oneself on and OFF the pitch, let's hope for a clean sheet tomorrow, 2-0 Albion, Barnes to score first and Ulloa to get the second! UTA
A true pro that should maybe take up a job as a defensive coach when he hangs up his boots, the likes of Dunk and others could learn a lot from him on how to conduct oneself on and OFF the pitch, let's hope for a clean sheet tomorrow, 2-0 Albion, Barnes to score first and Ulloa to get the second! UTA To baldly go

9:30pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Thewithdeanyears says...

Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.
Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset. Thewithdeanyears

9:57pm Fri 13 Dec 13

Clean Sheet says...

Yep, Upson has been a fantastic signing, both on loan, and now as a permanent member of our squad. A true pro, and fantastic asset. To get a recent England International on a free is very special.
Yep, Upson has been a fantastic signing, both on loan, and now as a permanent member of our squad. A true pro, and fantastic asset. To get a recent England International on a free is very special. Clean Sheet

12:07am Sat 14 Dec 13

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Thewithdeanyears wrote:
Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.
Congrats, your weakest effort yet :-) Saving your energy to get you through your team's emulation of the vikings in 1066?
[quote][p][bold]Thewithdeanyears[/bold] wrote: Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.[/p][/quote]Congrats, your weakest effort yet :-) Saving your energy to get you through your team's emulation of the vikings in 1066? Ex-pat Arnie

10:09am Sat 14 Dec 13

tonypulis says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Thewithdeanyears wrote:
Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.
Congrats, your weakest effort yet :-) Saving your energy to get you through your team's emulation of the vikings in 1066?
Bit harsh that Ex-pat Arnie. I'm sure, just like the Vikings (don't think it was 1066 though) we can put Chelsea to the sword today.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thewithdeanyears[/bold] wrote: Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.[/p][/quote]Congrats, your weakest effort yet :-) Saving your energy to get you through your team's emulation of the vikings in 1066?[/p][/quote]Bit harsh that Ex-pat Arnie. I'm sure, just like the Vikings (don't think it was 1066 though) we can put Chelsea to the sword today. tonypulis

10:20am Sat 14 Dec 13

Ex-pat Arnie says...

tonypulis wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Thewithdeanyears wrote:
Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.
Congrats, your weakest effort yet :-) Saving your energy to get you through your team's emulation of the vikings in 1066?
Bit harsh that Ex-pat Arnie. I'm sure, just like the Vikings (don't think it was 1066 though) we can put Chelsea to the sword today.
Just UNLIKE the Vikings, you mean? (25 September 1066)
[quote][p][bold]tonypulis[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thewithdeanyears[/bold] wrote: Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.[/p][/quote]Congrats, your weakest effort yet :-) Saving your energy to get you through your team's emulation of the vikings in 1066?[/p][/quote]Bit harsh that Ex-pat Arnie. I'm sure, just like the Vikings (don't think it was 1066 though) we can put Chelsea to the sword today.[/p][/quote]Just UNLIKE the Vikings, you mean? (25 September 1066) Ex-pat Arnie

11:01am Sat 14 Dec 13

OldGull says...

Thewithdeanyears wrote:
Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.
Oh dear, Billy no mates still making pathetic comments
[quote][p][bold]Thewithdeanyears[/bold] wrote: Never puts in a proper challenge hence why he never gets injured or booked and why weve conceded some sloppy goals which cost us promotion. He's using us for a nice fat pay cheque at the end of his career, so far has managed to pull the wool over our eyes coasting on easy street before riding into the sunset.[/p][/quote]Oh dear, Billy no mates still making pathetic comments OldGull

11:22am Sat 14 Dec 13

lawrencejwestmoreland says...

Do you like acting as inhibited as you are at work in your own house, and having future work evaluations reflect how well you entertain as well as how well you do your job? Then by all means invite people from the office
then go on !.... ℬAℛ17.cℴm
thank you
Do you like acting as inhibited as you are at work in your own house, and having future work evaluations reflect how well you entertain as well as how well you do your job? Then by all means invite people from the office then go on !.... ℬAℛ17.cℴm thank you lawrencejwestmoreland

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree