The ArgusGreer sent off, Seagulls pegged back - follow Albion v Reading here (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Greer sent off, Seagulls pegged back - follow Albion v Reading here

Enable automatic updates every 30 seconds? YES NO

Latest

  • ALBION 1 READING 1
  • Ten-man Albion earn point
  • Gunter gifts Albion the lead (16)
  • Greer sent-off (51)
  • Drenthe levels (64)
  • Kuszczak denies Obita
  • Six pages of coverage in The Argus on Monday

5:01pm

Referee Graham was booed off at the end.

4:56pm

Obita fired wide with the final kick as Albion cleared a corner.

Final: Albion 1 Reading 1

4:54pm

Suddenly Albion threatened in added time. Bruno unlocked Reading with a fine pass and Buckley saw his volley saved by McCarthy. The ball looped off the keeper in front of goal but would not fall for March.

March took the corner and hit the outside of the near post.

Bruno was booked for a foul

4:49pm

Andrews was booked for dissent after a foul was given against Bruno but Albion dealt with the free-kick.

 

4:44pm

Albion were sitting far too deep for their fans' liking.

Reading sent on Taylor for Akpan for the final push while the Seagulls replaced Forster-Caskey with March.

4:42pm

Obita was next in the book for barging over Buckley.

Bruno was caught out to give Reading a great chance to go ahead - but the clean-through McAnuff saw his shot blocked by Kuszczak.

Guthrie then fired a volley inches too high as Reading kept pushing.

4:35pm

Blackman should have done better than shoot straight at Kuszczak when he was found in a lot of space.

Albion were being pushed deeper and deeper.

Yet they carved an opening out of nothing when great work by Ulloa to hold off a defender set up a shooting chance which Buckley dragged wide.

Sensing a win, Reading sent on McCleary for Drenthe and then McAnuff for Blackman.

4:29pm

Reading claimed a penalty as Robson-Kanu pushed the ball past Forster-Caskey and went down but replays proved the Albion man had stood his ground and nothing more.

Robson-Kanu was booked for handball a couple of minutes later

4:24pm

Albion fans had chosen to vent their ire on Drenthe.

But he responded in style with the 64th minute equaliser out of very little.

DRENTHE picked the ball up on the right corner of the box, cut inside and drove a low shot between Kuszczak and his near post.

4:20pm

Albion sent on Buckley for Lingard.

4:20pm

It was clearly going to be a case of backs to the wall for the hosts from now on.

A hint of a chance opened up when Ulloa got on the end of a long ball but he lost his footing as he went to shoot.

Otherwise it was Reading pressure against the massed blue and white ranks.

Le Fondre headed a decent chance over and Blackman curled over.

4:13pm

Albion were reduced to ten men when Greer was penalised for a challenge on Le Fondre. Greer was shown a second yellow and Albion immediately responded by replacing David with centre-back Dunk.

Reading attacked and a low cross fell to Akpan whose shot was blocked in the goalmouth.

4:08pm

Albion have a habit of making slow starts to the seocnd half of games and were almost undone within seconds when Robson-Kanu's terrific cross was only just too high for Le Fondre in front of goal.

Gunter made a couple of dangerous breaks down the right, the second of which led to a shooting chance for Drenthe, who  was way too high with his left-foot effort.

3:53pm

Half: Albion 1 Reading 0

3:48pm

Debutant Hector was booked for pulling back David near the corner flag after Reading played themselves into trouble.

The free-kick was eventually cleared to the edge of the box but David scuffed his volley well wide.

3:43pm

Albion cleared a corner won by the lively Drenthe. And, when Guthrie crossed the ball in, Kuszczak rose to catch well.

3:39pm

Greer put Albion in trouble with a loose pass as Albion built an attack. Upson looked favourite to deal with the quick, long ball forward but failed to control and Le Fondre was fouled by the recovering Greer, who was booked.

Albion cleared the free-kick and David sent Lingard breaking clear with a good ball. But Gunter, as last defender, did well to hold Lingard up and the attack eventually fizzled out when Forster-Caskey shot well over.

3:36pm

Lingard looked to have unlocked the defence with a pass inside left-back Obita and into the path of David. But the assistant's flag went up for offside to the audible frustraion of home fans over what must have been a tight call. 

3:30pm

Reading reacted quite well to the goal. Obita beat David easily as he cut inside and squared to Robson-Kanu, who shot over from just outside the box.

Bruno and Drenthe were having a good battle. The Albion full-back was spoken to briefly by the referee after bringing him down but Guthrie's subsequent free-kick missed everybody and drifted out for a goal kick.

3:21pm

Albion were starting to pass the ball crisply now - and it was such a move which led to their gift opening goal.

Ulloa, Andrews and David were all involved but, when the latter chipped the ball into the box, there seemed little danger.

McCarthy came out to collect but full-back GUNTER got there first, headed the ball to where he thought his keeper was - and saw it bounce gently into the unguarded net.

 

3:16pm

Forster-Caskey fired a 25-yard free-kick into the wall afer Lingard had been fouled in a central position.

3:15pm

David Lopez played a one-two with Ulloa and clipped a clever ball into the path of Forster-Caskey breaking into the box.

But the midfielder could not take it down with his first touch and it went through to keeper McCarthy.

3:14pm

Bruno whipped in a dangerous cross at the other end which was cleared for a corner.

But Ince pushed a defender as he looked to get his head to David Lopez's deep delivery from the flag kick.

Bruno overhit his next cross and Ulloa could not get on the end of it as Albion made a rather stuttering start to the game.

3:06pm

Reading had the first attack - and could have gone ahead in only the second minute.

Drenthe, playing wide on the left, seemed to foul Bruno as the full-back gained possession in his own area.

Play was waved on and Drenthe drove in a low cross which cannoned back off the far post and rebounded to Le Fondre, whose shot was blocked.

3:03pm

Albion playing North to South in the first half.

2:54pm

The sun is out, eighth plays seventh and it is starting to feel like the business end of the season.

But we said that last time we were here two weeks ago - and Wigan took all three points that day.

Can the Seagulls reverse that unfortunate result against a rejigged Reading side?

A win or draw takes Reading into the top six.

Albion would need to win by five goals to edge above sixth-placed Wigan today.

But success here would leave them well-placed to challenge the existing play-off teams.

Kick-off is not far away.

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:20pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Nice OG.
Nice OG. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -1

3:27pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Tonyuk175 says...

I'll take it let's hope we can get another 1 or 2
I'll take it let's hope we can get another 1 or 2 Tonyuk175
  • Score: 0

4:12pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Right, with no Greer this is going to be hard to close out. *crosses fingers*
Right, with no Greer this is going to be hard to close out. *crosses fingers* Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -1

4:13pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Tonyuk175 says...

Ipswich and forest losing we must hold on now UTA
Ipswich and forest losing we must hold on now UTA Tonyuk175
  • Score: 0

4:14pm Sat 8 Mar 14

mikeygit says...

dear oh dear GREER gets a RED card!! Is it a scrappy game?? seems so from the reports.
dear oh dear GREER gets a RED card!! Is it a scrappy game?? seems so from the reports. mikeygit
  • Score: 0

4:18pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Tonyuk175 says...

And now mill wall beating derby
And now mill wall beating derby Tonyuk175
  • Score: 0

4:19pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Tonyuk175 says...

If we hold on what a result this could turn out to be
If we hold on what a result this could turn out to be Tonyuk175
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

The stats indicate they are throwing the kitchen sink at us. Maybe we can sneak a second on the counter attack/
The stats indicate they are throwing the kitchen sink at us. Maybe we can sneak a second on the counter attack/ Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

4:26pm Sat 8 Mar 14

gilbertthecat says...

One of the games I'm not there for sadly. Greer getting skinned by Le Fondre once in each half - don't want to knock him as he's a generally a good pro for us, but he does get beaten on pace all the time and when he makes a mistake this is what can happen. I do feel for him though, he must feel like ^%$t!
One of the games I'm not there for sadly. Greer getting skinned by Le Fondre once in each half - don't want to knock him as he's a generally a good pro for us, but he does get beaten on pace all the time and when he makes a mistake this is what can happen. I do feel for him though, he must feel like ^%$t! gilbertthecat
  • Score: -1

4:33pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

But on the bright side, Leeds are losing at home 4-0.
But on the bright side, Leeds are losing at home 4-0. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -1

4:33pm Sat 8 Mar 14

mikeygit says...

Going to be difficult to get a draw out of this one!!
Going to be difficult to get a draw out of this one!! mikeygit
  • Score: -3

4:34pm Sat 8 Mar 14

ringtone says...

Cheers Gordon, capain fantastic lol
Cheers Gordon, capain fantastic lol ringtone
  • Score: -5

4:41pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

I am expecting a late winner for Reading, and I'm normally this site's optimist!
I am expecting a late winner for Reading, and I'm normally this site's optimist! Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: -1

4:42pm Sat 8 Mar 14

mikeygit says...

For those watching the game---Is Lingard a possible Wonder Kid as the reports seem to suggest he was snuffed out of the game?? Just my opinion.
For those watching the game---Is Lingard a possible Wonder Kid as the reports seem to suggest he was snuffed out of the game?? Just my opinion. mikeygit
  • Score: 1

4:45pm Sat 8 Mar 14

ringtone says...

Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol
Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol ringtone
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Sat 8 Mar 14

mikeygit says...

Must be terrible watching this game---nerves or what. If we hold on to this one it will be a miracle?? Nice to see there other teams--apart from BHA---that cannot hit the target--sorry kiss of death!!
Must be terrible watching this game---nerves or what. If we hold on to this one it will be a miracle?? Nice to see there other teams--apart from BHA---that cannot hit the target--sorry kiss of death!! mikeygit
  • Score: 1

4:46pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

ringtone wrote:
Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol
Opinions, facts - they're all the same to you, aren't they? ;-)
[quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol[/p][/quote]Opinions, facts - they're all the same to you, aren't they? ;-) Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 2

4:47pm Sat 8 Mar 14

gilbertthecat says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
I am expecting a late winner for Reading, and I'm normally this site's optimist!
Sadly I agree with you and I too am an optimist - just 5 more plus stoppage - everything crossed.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: I am expecting a late winner for Reading, and I'm normally this site's optimist![/p][/quote]Sadly I agree with you and I too am an optimist - just 5 more plus stoppage - everything crossed. gilbertthecat
  • Score: 1

4:48pm Sat 8 Mar 14

ringtone says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
ringtone wrote:
Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol
Opinions, facts - they're all the same to you, aren't they? ;-)
knew that key word would pull your trigger. Fact
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol[/p][/quote]Opinions, facts - they're all the same to you, aren't they? ;-)[/p][/quote]knew that key word would pull your trigger. Fact ringtone
  • Score: -5

4:49pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

ringtone wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
ringtone wrote:
Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol
Opinions, facts - they're all the same to you, aren't they? ;-)
knew that key word would pull your trigger. Fact
How very clever you are. #irony
[quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: Respect to Reading really going for it, I know for a fact if the roles where reversed we would have settled for a point thinking it was a good result, lol[/p][/quote]Opinions, facts - they're all the same to you, aren't they? ;-)[/p][/quote]knew that key word would pull your trigger. Fact[/p][/quote]How very clever you are. #irony Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 2

4:58pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)
Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-) Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Sat 8 Mar 14

mikeygit says...

Have to say Albion deserved the draw--MUST have defended well with 10 men and Reading shot badly!! Well earned point.
Have to say Albion deserved the draw--MUST have defended well with 10 men and Reading shot badly!! Well earned point. mikeygit
  • Score: 1

5:02pm Sat 8 Mar 14

ringtone says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)
Put a positive spin on it, still another 2 points dropped in a game we had to win.

I was hoping that international football would help to make Greer an average player, no such luck, what a waste of time, get rid asap
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)[/p][/quote]Put a positive spin on it, still another 2 points dropped in a game we had to win. I was hoping that international football would help to make Greer an average player, no such luck, what a waste of time, get rid asap ringtone
  • Score: -5

5:10pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Ex-pat Arnie says...

ringtone wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)
Put a positive spin on it, still another 2 points dropped in a game we had to win.

I was hoping that international football would help to make Greer an average player, no such luck, what a waste of time, get rid asap
No, we didn't have to win it. We had to avoid defeat.

Sounds like the ref was hectored into sending off Greer - and yes I know he should not have put himself into that position, but it's still a valid point. 11v11 = probable win.

But I should really be discussing this with Albion fans instead of sating your need for attention.
[quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)[/p][/quote]Put a positive spin on it, still another 2 points dropped in a game we had to win. I was hoping that international football would help to make Greer an average player, no such luck, what a waste of time, get rid asap[/p][/quote]No, we didn't have to win it. We had to avoid defeat. Sounds like the ref was hectored into sending off Greer - and yes I know he should not have put himself into that position, but it's still a valid point. 11v11 = probable win. But I should really be discussing this with Albion fans instead of sating your need for attention. Ex-pat Arnie
  • Score: 2

5:13pm Sat 8 Mar 14

ringtone says...

Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
ringtone wrote:
Ex-pat Arnie wrote:
Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)
Put a positive spin on it, still another 2 points dropped in a game we had to win.

I was hoping that international football would help to make Greer an average player, no such luck, what a waste of time, get rid asap
No, we didn't have to win it. We had to avoid defeat.

Sounds like the ref was hectored into sending off Greer - and yes I know he should not have put himself into that position, but it's still a valid point. 11v11 = probable win.

But I should really be discussing this with Albion fans instead of sating your need for attention.
Okay mate, lets drop it.

Thought your boy Dunk did really good, heroes all round, take your point and the point.
[quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ringtone[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ex-pat Arnie[/bold] wrote: Phew! Good resilience, Seagulls :-)[/p][/quote]Put a positive spin on it, still another 2 points dropped in a game we had to win. I was hoping that international football would help to make Greer an average player, no such luck, what a waste of time, get rid asap[/p][/quote]No, we didn't have to win it. We had to avoid defeat. Sounds like the ref was hectored into sending off Greer - and yes I know he should not have put himself into that position, but it's still a valid point. 11v11 = probable win. But I should really be discussing this with Albion fans instead of sating your need for attention.[/p][/quote]Okay mate, lets drop it. Thought your boy Dunk did really good, heroes all round, take your point and the point. ringtone
  • Score: 0

9:01pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Captain Haddock says...

Ringtone is a tedious waste of air.
Ringtone is a tedious waste of air. Captain Haddock
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree