Albion are back outside the Championship’s top six tonight – but only on goal difference.
The Seagulls were overhauled by Reading as they drew 1-1 at home to leaders Leicester.
But Oscar Garcia’s men are level on points with the Royals going into the last four matches.
Reading have a goal difference of plus-13 compared to Albion’s plus-12.
The Berkshire club have also scored more goals.
The race is hotting up going into the Easter programme with Bournemouth, Ipswich and arguably Blackburn also in the thick of it.
Fifth-placed Wigan also have work to do to secure their play-off berth.
Reading visit Wigan on Good Friday but will do so without midfielder Mikele Leigertwood, who was sent-off tonight for a second bookable offence 25 minutes after coming off the bench.
Danny Drinkwater fired a superb long-range equaliser for Leicester after Alex Pearce had nodded Reading in front.
- Oscar meets his new colleagues after clinching Watford job
- Loan move will help Maksimenko's career on quiet day for Albion on deadline day
- Banya on target as Crawley end losing streak
- Ashdown and Rose handed Crawley debuts
- Wiggins honoured to defend Tour of Britain title