The ArgusOrlandi holds the key for Seagulls (From The Argus)

Get involved: Send your news, views, pictures and video by texting SUPIC to 80360 or email us.

Orlandi holds the key for Seagulls

The Argus: Andrea Orlandi has made a big impact since returning from injury Andrea Orlandi has made a big impact since returning from injury

Andrea Orlandi has been backed to unlock the door for Albion in the play-offs.

The Seagulls failed to score in both legs of last year’s semi-final against Crystal Palace.

Orlandi, pictured below, has missed most of the season with knee and thigh injuries but he has started the last two matches and team-mate Keith Andrews believes the gifted Spanish midfielder could make a difference against Derby County.

Andrews told The Argus: “All of the midfielders have different attributes but Andrea is the one that has that kind of creativity we have missed at times this season.

“He is the one that can thread that eye-of-a-needle pass, try to slide in the wingers we have with their pace.

“Added to that he has done very well in the last few games. First and fore-most, to get in this team you have to have a certain degree of work-rate about you.

“We don’t really agree with slackers or people that put the handbrake up and aren’t willing to put that shift in. For me that is a given of any footballer.

“It’s proabably not something that’s natural to him because he would prefer, like all of us, to be doing the nicer things but he has done fantastically well to get back from a couple of niggly injuries that have kept him out for decent spells. He’s a great player to have back involved at this pivotal stage of the season.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:59am Thu 8 May 14

JeffLomer says...

morning boys

Everybody needs to put a shift in tonight the players and off course us fans we have to make the amex rock tonight like us fans who went to Nottingham on Saturday,whatever happens tonight its halftime so lets gets behind the boys tonight and hopefully the lads will take there chances and we can be in pole position for Sunday, get these last few tickets bought,
Up the albion!!!!
morning boys Everybody needs to put a shift in tonight the players and off course us fans we have to make the amex rock tonight like us fans who went to Nottingham on Saturday,whatever happens tonight its halftime so lets gets behind the boys tonight and hopefully the lads will take there chances and we can be in pole position for Sunday, get these last few tickets bought, Up the albion!!!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 23

6:58am Thu 8 May 14

elljam says...

A fully fit Orlandi would have definitely have made a difference to our season.
He was just starting to find his form after his initial long lay-off when he got injured again at Millwall & while he has shown some classy touches in the last two games, that little bit of sharpness has been lacking. I hope those games have got him to near 100% because his quality will be needed to help make the difference in what will be very tight matches.
I feel he will also more suited to the Premier League than the Championship so if we do manage to make it he must be given a new deal.
A fully fit Orlandi would have definitely have made a difference to our season. He was just starting to find his form after his initial long lay-off when he got injured again at Millwall & while he has shown some classy touches in the last two games, that little bit of sharpness has been lacking. I hope those games have got him to near 100% because his quality will be needed to help make the difference in what will be very tight matches. I feel he will also more suited to the Premier League than the Championship so if we do manage to make it he must be given a new deal. elljam
  • Score: 13

7:11am Thu 8 May 14

impose our game gull says...

The key is to have absolute belief and play our very best football as we did for instance against Leicester. Tentative is not a word for this evening. Against Palace here we didn't go for it. Think Andy Murray for years in the tennis - to win a grand final you throw absolutely everything at it for that time frame - there are risks involved, it can go horribly wrong .... but ..... it will go wrong less often than if you are tentative and cagey. Let's get this done!! Absolutely everyone BHA in the stadium should be continually cheering on the Seagulls till their voices are hoarse ....
The key is to have absolute belief and play our very best football as we did for instance against Leicester. Tentative is not a word for this evening. Against Palace here we didn't go for it. Think Andy Murray for years in the tennis - to win a grand final you throw absolutely everything at it for that time frame - there are risks involved, it can go horribly wrong .... but ..... it will go wrong less often than if you are tentative and cagey. Let's get this done!! Absolutely everyone BHA in the stadium should be continually cheering on the Seagulls till their voices are hoarse .... impose our game gull
  • Score: 11

8:47am Thu 8 May 14

Albion In Staffs says...

For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 17

9:47am Thu 8 May 14

Claude Back says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact.
Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.[/p][/quote]What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact. Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it. Claude Back
  • Score: -19

10:24am Thu 8 May 14

cybergu11y says...

Claude Back wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact.
Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.
I disagree with you Claude, without knowing the full facts, it was still obvious that Gus was not fully focused or committed to the cause. Albion in Staffs was spot on with his opinion / comment.
[quote][p][bold]Claude Back[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.[/p][/quote]What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact. Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.[/p][/quote]I disagree with you Claude, without knowing the full facts, it was still obvious that Gus was not fully focused or committed to the cause. Albion in Staffs was spot on with his opinion / comment. cybergu11y
  • Score: 17

10:54am Thu 8 May 14

B rian Tawses left foot says...

Claude Back says...


Albion In Staffs wrote:
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact.
Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.

Ah, the missing man has returned. Not a word of congratulation from Claude Back to the team he allegedly supports - or indeed the coach he openly despises. Perhaps he is just angry that his prediction that the club could not get promoted under OG has proved to be nonsense.
Actually we DO know a lot of what went on that disastrous night nearly a year ago. Why? Because some of it took place under the glare of TV cameras - something the publicity seeking and giant egotist Poyet loved. He turned up ten minutes before kick-off - appalling enough given the importance of the game. Displayed the most negative body language possible during the game and gave his infamous 'ceiling'/'come and get me speech' immediately after the game on camera. If this is not sackable behaviour I don't know what is.
If what I have aid is libellous I'm happy to meet my accusers in court.
Claude Back says... Albion In Staffs wrote: For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round. What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact. Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it. Ah, the missing man has returned. Not a word of congratulation from Claude Back to the team he allegedly supports - or indeed the coach he openly despises. Perhaps he is just angry that his prediction that the club could not get promoted under OG has proved to be nonsense. Actually we DO know a lot of what went on that disastrous night nearly a year ago. Why? Because some of it took place under the glare of TV cameras - something the publicity seeking and giant egotist Poyet loved. He turned up ten minutes before kick-off - appalling enough given the importance of the game. Displayed the most negative body language possible during the game and gave his infamous 'ceiling'/'come and get me speech' immediately after the game on camera. If this is not sackable behaviour I don't know what is. If what I have aid is libellous I'm happy to meet my accusers in court. B rian Tawses left foot
  • Score: 16

11:42am Thu 8 May 14

Major Bloodboil says...

B rian Tawses left foot wrote:
Claude Back says...


Albion In Staffs wrote:
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact.
Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.

Ah, the missing man has returned. Not a word of congratulation from Claude Back to the team he allegedly supports - or indeed the coach he openly despises. Perhaps he is just angry that his prediction that the club could not get promoted under OG has proved to be nonsense.
Actually we DO know a lot of what went on that disastrous night nearly a year ago. Why? Because some of it took place under the glare of TV cameras - something the publicity seeking and giant egotist Poyet loved. He turned up ten minutes before kick-off - appalling enough given the importance of the game. Displayed the most negative body language possible during the game and gave his infamous 'ceiling'/'come and get me speech' immediately after the game on camera. If this is not sackable behaviour I don't know what is.
If what I have aid is libellous I'm happy to meet my accusers in court.
Is it a fact that Gus turned up so late or just a rumour?

I am not a great fan of Gus' because he had a tendency to play a defensive game eg the Bristol City, Blackburn and Swindon away games, and I reckon that if he had played a more attacking team,as he had done the previous year we could have had automatic promotion.

There is no doubt though that Gus did a great job for us, indeed I guess that most of the tonight's team will have been at the club when Gus was here and thus Oscar has inherited a very talented team. Last year's play off team was certainly very committed in the first Palace play off game, which we could have won with a bit of luck. The second leg we could also have won if Barnes' shot had gone in rather than hit the bar. It is thus a little disingenuous to say that Gus was not totally focused.

I feel that Oscar also suffers from the same defensive bent as Gus and I still do not understand his team selection for the Hull cup games and others. That said, credit where credit is due, Oscar has got us into the play-offs and so very well done indeed Oscar and the team!

Let Derby have both barrels tonight and Sunday and create another upset and see if the BBC and Sky can still ignore us as they have mostly done this season.
[quote][p][bold]B rian Tawses left foot[/bold] wrote: Claude Back says... Albion In Staffs wrote: For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round. What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact. Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it. Ah, the missing man has returned. Not a word of congratulation from Claude Back to the team he allegedly supports - or indeed the coach he openly despises. Perhaps he is just angry that his prediction that the club could not get promoted under OG has proved to be nonsense. Actually we DO know a lot of what went on that disastrous night nearly a year ago. Why? Because some of it took place under the glare of TV cameras - something the publicity seeking and giant egotist Poyet loved. He turned up ten minutes before kick-off - appalling enough given the importance of the game. Displayed the most negative body language possible during the game and gave his infamous 'ceiling'/'come and get me speech' immediately after the game on camera. If this is not sackable behaviour I don't know what is. If what I have aid is libellous I'm happy to meet my accusers in court.[/p][/quote]Is it a fact that Gus turned up so late or just a rumour? I am not a great fan of Gus' because he had a tendency to play a defensive game eg the Bristol City, Blackburn and Swindon away games, and I reckon that if he had played a more attacking team,as he had done the previous year we could have had automatic promotion. There is no doubt though that Gus did a great job for us, indeed I guess that most of the tonight's team will have been at the club when Gus was here and thus Oscar has inherited a very talented team. Last year's play off team was certainly very committed in the first Palace play off game, which we could have won with a bit of luck. The second leg we could also have won if Barnes' shot had gone in rather than hit the bar. It is thus a little disingenuous to say that Gus was not totally focused. I feel that Oscar also suffers from the same defensive bent as Gus and I still do not understand his team selection for the Hull cup games and others. That said, credit where credit is due, Oscar has got us into the play-offs and so very well done indeed Oscar and the team! Let Derby have both barrels tonight and Sunday and create another upset and see if the BBC and Sky can still ignore us as they have mostly done this season. Major Bloodboil
  • Score: 2

11:53am Thu 8 May 14

VegasSeagull says...

I guess at a time like this Poyet does creep into the conversation, but for me that period is over, it's the here and now that matters. Poyet has got what he wanted, as has Bridcutt, and we have Oscar and two or three million in the bank, works for me.
I guess at a time like this Poyet does creep into the conversation, but for me that period is over, it's the here and now that matters. Poyet has got what he wanted, as has Bridcutt, and we have Oscar and two or three million in the bank, works for me. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 2

12:57pm Thu 8 May 14

novascotiagull says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
I guess at a time like this Poyet does creep into the conversation, but for me that period is over, it's the here and now that matters. Poyet has got what he wanted, as has Bridcutt, and we have Oscar and two or three million in the bank, works for me.
Not sure Bridcutt has ended up with what he wanted. Gus almost forced to play him early but it looks like he has been relegated into an occasional squad player role who is clearly not first choice and that bench has never looked so shiny. Gus's own comments about him from around a month ago seemed to suggest that Bridcutt wasn't achieving what he expected from him and his absence from the starting team has been noticeable.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I guess at a time like this Poyet does creep into the conversation, but for me that period is over, it's the here and now that matters. Poyet has got what he wanted, as has Bridcutt, and we have Oscar and two or three million in the bank, works for me.[/p][/quote]Not sure Bridcutt has ended up with what he wanted. Gus almost forced to play him early but it looks like he has been relegated into an occasional squad player role who is clearly not first choice and that bench has never looked so shiny. Gus's own comments about him from around a month ago seemed to suggest that Bridcutt wasn't achieving what he expected from him and his absence from the starting team has been noticeable. novascotiagull
  • Score: 2

1:11pm Thu 8 May 14

VegasSeagull says...

novascotiagull wrote:
VegasSeagull wrote:
I guess at a time like this Poyet does creep into the conversation, but for me that period is over, it's the here and now that matters. Poyet has got what he wanted, as has Bridcutt, and we have Oscar and two or three million in the bank, works for me.
Not sure Bridcutt has ended up with what he wanted. Gus almost forced to play him early but it looks like he has been relegated into an occasional squad player role who is clearly not first choice and that bench has never looked so shiny. Gus's own comments about him from around a month ago seemed to suggest that Bridcutt wasn't achieving what he expected from him and his absence from the starting team has been noticeable.
my point was that they both wanted out and they both got their wish. As for Bridcutt's form, from what I have seen of him since his move he appears not to be ready for prem level.
[quote][p][bold]novascotiagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: I guess at a time like this Poyet does creep into the conversation, but for me that period is over, it's the here and now that matters. Poyet has got what he wanted, as has Bridcutt, and we have Oscar and two or three million in the bank, works for me.[/p][/quote]Not sure Bridcutt has ended up with what he wanted. Gus almost forced to play him early but it looks like he has been relegated into an occasional squad player role who is clearly not first choice and that bench has never looked so shiny. Gus's own comments about him from around a month ago seemed to suggest that Bridcutt wasn't achieving what he expected from him and his absence from the starting team has been noticeable.[/p][/quote]my point was that they both wanted out and they both got their wish. As for Bridcutt's form, from what I have seen of him since his move he appears not to be ready for prem level. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 3

2:17pm Thu 8 May 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Claude Back wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact.
Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.
The simple answer to your response is 'no its not.'
He was dismissed and he ventured an alternative opinion by appealing. His positioning began with comments on live TV.
I did not, in anyway suggest I knew what went on, nor did I make any allegations about his conduct.
Please retract.
Thanks.
[quote][p][bold]Claude Back[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.[/p][/quote]What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact. Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.[/p][/quote]The simple answer to your response is 'no its not.' He was dismissed and he ventured an alternative opinion by appealing. His positioning began with comments on live TV. I did not, in anyway suggest I knew what went on, nor did I make any allegations about his conduct. Please retract. Thanks. Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 4

2:21pm Thu 8 May 14

Albion In Staffs says...

Albion In Staffs wrote:
Claude Back wrote:
Albion In Staffs wrote:
For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery.
There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.
What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact.
Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.
The simple answer to your response is 'no its not.'
He was dismissed and he ventured an alternative opinion by appealing. His positioning began with comments on live TV.
I did not, in anyway suggest I knew what went on, nor did I make any allegations about his conduct.
Please retract.
Thanks.
Oh and while I remember....
While he was still manger he also spoke on TV about needing answers to questions as well as suggested we'd hit the ceiling. Overt positioning statements.
And final point, I never said he was a bad manager...
[quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Claude Back[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion In Staffs[/bold] wrote: For me, the difference between last year and this, is that we now have a manager in charge who is totally focused on the immediate task in hand rather than political frippery. There's been a stark contrast in approach all season and as for the last bloke, well he's already claiming his latest 'miracle' and I'm confident OG would never stoop so low. I believe we're actually better prepared this time round.[/p][/quote]What you have said in your first sentence is libel. You have no knowledge of what went on at all. You are entitled to an opinion but cannot state it as fact. Also, it is obvious to anyone who knows anything about Football that Gus is a really good manager and what he has done at Sunderland is magnificent. Ask the Mackems. Try and leave aside your prejudice and you will see it.[/p][/quote]The simple answer to your response is 'no its not.' He was dismissed and he ventured an alternative opinion by appealing. His positioning began with comments on live TV. I did not, in anyway suggest I knew what went on, nor did I make any allegations about his conduct. Please retract. Thanks.[/p][/quote]Oh and while I remember.... While he was still manger he also spoke on TV about needing answers to questions as well as suggested we'd hit the ceiling. Overt positioning statements. And final point, I never said he was a bad manager... Albion In Staffs
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree