Chris Jordan’s tremendous form has been rewarded by a first Test call.
Sussex team-mate Matt Prior is also in England's squad for the first Investec Test against Sri Lanka at Lord's next week.
Jordan produced two man-of-the-match performances in England's Royal London one-day international series defeat against the same opponents, which concluded in a controversial decider at Edgbaston on Tuesday.
His performances clearly impressed ODI and Test captain Alastair Cook.
Prior returns having been dropped for the final two Ashes Tests in the winter.
Since then he has suffered with an Achilles injury which put his return to the Test squad in doubt but the wicketkeeper-batsman proved his fitness in Sussex’s four-day game with Nottinghamshire this week.
Prior gets the nod despite a clamour for Jos Buttler to be handed a Test debut.
Jordan is one of three uncapped players in the squad, the others being opener Sam Robson and all-rounder Moeen Ali.
Seamer Liam Plunkett – who last played Test cricket seven years ago – is named in the 12-man squad and pace bowler Chris Woakes is also included.
England squad: AN Cook (capt), MM Ali, JM Anderson, GS Ballance, IR Bell, SCJ Broad, CJ Jordan, LE Plunkett, MJ Prior (wkt), SD Robson, JE Root, CR Woakes.
- Wing wizard Knockaert crowned Albion player of the season
- Knockaert is Albion player of the season. See who won what and re-live a glittering night at the Amex
- Players could surprise Albion boss Hughton in the Prem
- Party was an eye-opener for Sidwell - and the Premier League might be for colleagues
- Albion still have five cracks at winning the title