Jimmy Case has urged Albion to tap into their new boss's standing in English football.
Former Liverpool star Sami Hyypia has taken over as manager on a three-year contract.
Case, who starred for both Liverpool and the Seagulls as a player, reckons Hyypia's arrival will impress people around the game.
He told The Argus last night: “I know a lot of lads respect Sami very highly.
“He’s a top bloke. I’ve chatted to him doing radio work and he’s one who always gave 100% as a player. He is on the ball.
“Most importantly, he has a strong connection with the top level of the game.
“He has great international contacts and that is vital these days.
“If you’ve got friends within the game at Liverpool and in the Bundesliga and if you are that well known it will help you attract players.”
Case added: “Everyone in the game likes him. That’s a bonus.
“If people don’t like you, you are not going to get much support or help when it comes to things like loan deals.
“You need friends within the game. I think this will be a good move for him and hopefully for Brighton.”
- Albion get Premier League ref for promotion decider
- Albion Analysis: Not lift-off but late hope for the promotion showdown with Boro
- We're underdogs for last-day promotion shootout, says Hughton
- Wilson eyes last-day decider after striking late
- Sussex dig in as they bid to salvage draw against Leicestershire