Albion will host League Two side Cheltenham in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
The tie, drawn this morning, will take place in the week commencing August 11.
Albion will look for improved fortunes on the past two campaigns, when they have made first-round exits to lower division opponents.
Two years ago an Alan Navarro debut double against his old club helped send the Seagulls to a shock 3-0 reverse at Swindon.
Last season they let slip an early lead and lost 3-1 in extra-time at home to Newport County.
New boss Sami Hyypia helped Liverpool win the trophy twice as a player, in 2011 and 2003.
- Hughes reckons exhausting cup test can help Albion in the league
- The call was to Be Bold - but what did you make of Albion's big cup trip to Spurs? (With video)
- Cup call-up was a shock admits Walton
- Hyypia hails keeper Walton as he earns his spurs on cup debut
- Rusk happy to see his Albion teens face new challenge