Albion will host League Two side Cheltenham in the first round of the Capital One Cup.
The tie, drawn this morning, will take place in the week commencing August 11.
Albion will look for improved fortunes on the past two campaigns, when they have made first-round exits to lower division opponents.
Two years ago an Alan Navarro debut double against his old club helped send the Seagulls to a shock 3-0 reverse at Swindon.
Last season they let slip an early lead and lost 3-1 in extra-time at home to Newport County.
New boss Sami Hyypia helped Liverpool win the trophy twice as a player, in 2011 and 2003.
- Pace ace Carayol backed to quickly win over Albion fans
- New Crawley signings are playing for next to nothing as they bid to resurrect careers
- Albion sign Middlesbrough flyer
- Bloom: Why CMS had a bad deal from Poyet
- Crawley sign former Charlton defender