Banned Arif tells of his shame

Naved Arif

Naved Arif

First published in Sport by

Former Sussex bowler Naved Arif has revealed his shame after being banned for life for match- fixing.

Arif was hit with a global ban from all cricket yesterday by the ECB after helping to fix Sussex’s CB40 match with Kent in August 2011.

The 32-year-old admitted his guilt having been implicated by his former Sussex team-mate Lou Vincent, who is himself facing 14 charges of match- fixing.

The conviction prevents Arif, who spent two seasons at Sussex before being released in 2012, from playing, coaching or participating in any form of cricket which is recognised or sanctioned by ECB, the ICC or any other National Cricket Federation.

The former Pakistan A international had been playing for Little Stoke in the North Staffordshire and South Cheshire League prior to the temporary suspension which was imposed in April 2014.

A statement on behalf of the player read: “Mr Arif regrets his conduct which has let himself, his team-mates, Sussex County Cricket Club and the cricket fraternity down.

“He is deeply ashamed of his actions. These actions were unacceptable and Mr Arif has no excuses.

“Being banned from cricket, the game he loves, is the most severe punishment he could receive. Mr Arif is currently considering his future, having learnt some painful lessons from his past.”

Arif pleaded guilty to six breaches of the ECB’s Anti-Corruption Code in tape-recorded interviews with the ECB’s anti-corruption unit and via signed statements.

Sussex appeared to be cruising to victory in the match against Kent but collapsed from 76-0 after ten overs to 202 all out to lose by 14 runs. Arif’s six overs costing 41 while he took 29 balls to make 11 runs.

Vincent – who is also charged in relation to the match as well as the Twenty20 quarter-final against Lancashire in the same month – is expected to discover his fate in the next few weeks.

ECB chief executive David Collier said: “Today’s announcement sends out a very clear message that ECB has a zero-tolerance approach to corruption in cricket and that it will root out and punish those who pose a threat to the game’s integrity.

“We thank the anti-corruption team for their work in bringing this case and trust that it will serve as a stark reminder to all players of the dangers that corrupt activities pose to their careers and livelihoods.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:49am Mon 23 Jun 14

`The Wall says...

He should pack his bag and get the heck out of my country!!! we dont need these crooks corrupting our national game...... once a crook..... always a crook!!!!
He should pack his bag and get the heck out of my country!!! we dont need these crooks corrupting our national game...... once a crook..... always a crook!!!! `The Wall
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree