Sami Hyypia's former assistant at Bayer Leverkusen has turned down an invitation to join him at Albion.
Jan Moritz Lichte, a highly qualified but quietly spoken German coach, cited family reasons for his decision.
The Argus revealed ten days ago that Lichte was likely to be a leading contender to assist Hyypia at the Amex.
Hyypia admitted it was a setback and added: “I would have wanted to bring him with me.
“We worked well together and I felt we could have given a lot to our next club.
“I am looking for a dependable assistant who I know. I want his mentality to complement our current coaching staff. We are not in a hurry, though."
- Albion strikers must start finding the net
- Henderson backed to become a key player for Crawley
- Ex-Albion No.1 linked with German giants
- Hyypia tells Albion to stop giving rivals a goal head start
- Stick with us urges Albion's Gardner