Sami Hyypia's former assistant at Bayer Leverkusen has turned down an invitation to join him at Albion.
Jan Moritz Lichte, a highly qualified but quietly spoken German coach, cited family reasons for his decision.
The Argus revealed ten days ago that Lichte was likely to be a leading contender to assist Hyypia at the Amex.
Hyypia admitted it was a setback and added: “I would have wanted to bring him with me.
“We worked well together and I felt we could have given a lot to our next club.
“I am looking for a dependable assistant who I know. I want his mentality to complement our current coaching staff. We are not in a hurry, though."
- Hyypia's words of advice for Albion goal hero Dunk
- Stockdale on a high even though Albion drop points at home
- Video: Watch Lewis Dunk's headed double for Albion against Charlton
- Fair result? Maybe - but Charlton boss was 'devastated' after Dunk's late goal
- Albion target chooses Hull