Sami Hyypia's former assistant at Bayer Leverkusen has turned down an invitation to join him at Albion.
Jan Moritz Lichte, a highly qualified but quietly spoken German coach, cited family reasons for his decision.
The Argus revealed ten days ago that Lichte was likely to be a leading contender to assist Hyypia at the Amex.
Hyypia admitted it was a setback and added: “I would have wanted to bring him with me.
“We worked well together and I felt we could have given a lot to our next club.
“I am looking for a dependable assistant who I know. I want his mentality to complement our current coaching staff. We are not in a hurry, though."
- Testing times but Skalak is still putting in a shift, says his boss
- Albion striker Baldock targets a ton of medals
- Seagulls will let Ince drop down a division to get game time
- Hughton happy with his striker options with wingers ready to plug any gaps
- Albion Nostalgia: Knight had his say on and off the pitch to silence Owls