Former Albion loanee Jesse Lingard should have been given a first team chance at Manchester United last season by David Moyes.
That is the verdict of United legend Paul Scholes, who regarded Lingard as a better prospect last summer than Adnan Januzaj.
England under-21 international Lingard scored four goals in 17 games on loan to Albion at the end of last season following a similar spell with Birmingham.
Januzaj featured in 35 matches for ex-United boss Moyes at Old Trafford.
Scholes said: “Last season at United, Lingard went on the pre-season tour, scored goals, and looked really sharp. At that time he was a better prospect, in my mind, than Adnan Januzaj, but he didn’t get the chance.
“I’m not questioning the talent of Januzaj, but Lingard, if given the opportunity, could have done well in the first team. With his ability, Lingard deserved to challenge Shinji Kagawa for a place.”
Januzaj is currently at the World Cup with Belgium, who have qualified for the knockout stage in Brazil.
- Ex-Albion No.1 linked with German giants
- Hyypia tells Albion to stop giving rivals a goal head start
- Stick with us urges Albion's Gardner
- Sussex trio included in England squad for Autumn internationals
- Hyypia's mixed feelings as Albion draw again