Former Albion loanee Jesse Lingard should have been given a first team chance at Manchester United last season by David Moyes.
That is the verdict of United legend Paul Scholes, who regarded Lingard as a better prospect last summer than Adnan Januzaj.
England under-21 international Lingard scored four goals in 17 games on loan to Albion at the end of last season following a similar spell with Birmingham.
Januzaj featured in 35 matches for ex-United boss Moyes at Old Trafford.
Scholes said: “Last season at United, Lingard went on the pre-season tour, scored goals, and looked really sharp. At that time he was a better prospect, in my mind, than Adnan Januzaj, but he didn’t get the chance.
“I’m not questioning the talent of Januzaj, but Lingard, if given the opportunity, could have done well in the first team. With his ability, Lingard deserved to challenge Shinji Kagawa for a place.”
Januzaj is currently at the World Cup with Belgium, who have qualified for the knockout stage in Brazil.
- Hughes assured he has part to play for Northern Ireland as he waits to break record
- Albion's Kayal is on red alert
- We only have ourselves to blame says Fowler as Reds slip back into drop zone
- Albion keeper hopes for great backing as he heads Home
- Albion duo on the bench for European Championship qualifying matches