Sami won't send out the finished article on his Amex debut

Sami Hyypia takes charge at the Amex tonight

Sami Hyypia takes charge at the Amex tonight

First published in Sport by , Chief sports reporter

Albion boss Sami Hyypia fields an experimental team for his Amex introduction against Southampton tonight.

Further signings are expected to alter the look of Hyypia’s line-up for the Seagulls’ Championship opener at home to Sheffield Wednesday on August 9.

The Seagulls have been linked with renewed moves for Huddersfield midfielder Adam Clayton and Cardiff striker Joe Mason, both targets during the January transfer window.

Albion had a £1 million bid rejected at the start of the year for free-scoring Clayton, who can operate in front of the back four or behind the strikers.

Middlesbrough also want him but have been scared off by Huddersfield’s price tag, believed to be well in excess of £1 million.

Mason was on Albion’s list of potential replacements for Ashley Barnes when he was sold to Burnley in January.

They face competition to land him on loan from Bolton Wanderers, who borrowed him last season.

Albion’s four signings so far, keeper David Stockdale, central defender Aaron Hughes, fit-again central midfielder Nzuzi Toko and striker Chris O’Grady, are all expected to play a part this evening.

Southampton are unbeaten in four pre-season friendlies, including a 1-0 win at Bournemouth last Friday, in spite of several high-profile departures.

Gaston Ramirez returned to action for 45 minutes at Bournemouth for the first time since representing Uruguay at the World Cup in Brazil.

Saints last night added Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand to their squad on a season-long loan.

Southampton coach Sammy Lee is in line for a frosty reception after agreeing to link up with former Liverpool colleague Hyypia as his No. 2, then joining Saints instead.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:25am Thu 31 Jul 14

mark by the sea says...

Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed,
I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man..
Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year.
Finally we edge closer to real football,
Uta
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta mark by the sea
  • Score: 0

7:23am Thu 31 Jul 14

Rhodes Seagull says...

And the chances of this being shown on the Albion Youtube as was the Partick game?
And the chances of this being shown on the Albion Youtube as was the Partick game? Rhodes Seagull
  • Score: 1

7:26am Thu 31 Jul 14

AlfieT says...

Even though it's a friendly I never miss a chance to get to the Amex, pity it won't be a full house to welcome sammy lee! Interested to see how Buckley goes this season, no rumours about him at all, guess his injurys have put paid to that. Hope he has a great season for us, along with Kaz.
Hope we land Clayton, Mason, not sure he is the 20 goal man.
Even though it's a friendly I never miss a chance to get to the Amex, pity it won't be a full house to welcome sammy lee! Interested to see how Buckley goes this season, no rumours about him at all, guess his injurys have put paid to that. Hope he has a great season for us, along with Kaz. Hope we land Clayton, Mason, not sure he is the 20 goal man. AlfieT
  • Score: 5

7:55am Thu 31 Jul 14

arc12 says...

I just hope that we see some definitive pattern of play as the friendlies so far have seen very little shape to them. The Crawley and Peterborough games resembled park football so I hope Sammi can at last stamp his own authority on the way we play. Hopefully the other 3 or 4 players needed will arrive in the next few days too.
I just hope that we see some definitive pattern of play as the friendlies so far have seen very little shape to them. The Crawley and Peterborough games resembled park football so I hope Sammi can at last stamp his own authority on the way we play. Hopefully the other 3 or 4 players needed will arrive in the next few days too. arc12
  • Score: 0

8:47am Thu 31 Jul 14

realist2012 says...

mark by the sea wrote:
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season?
If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest?
I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say.
Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
[quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others? realist2012
  • Score: 14

9:04am Thu 31 Jul 14

CiderBaz says...

realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season?
If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest?
I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say.
Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
[quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books? CiderBaz
  • Score: 5

9:08am Thu 31 Jul 14

realist2012 says...

CiderBaz wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most
[quote][p][bold]CiderBaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most realist2012
  • Score: 5

9:19am Thu 31 Jul 14

Max Ripple says...

Does 7 goals in 46 games really make Clayton the "free scoring midfielder" he is being touted as? Agree we seem to have an abundance of riches in the midfield at present.

Joe Mason has been referred to several times as the replacement for Ashley Barnes - didn't we just get COG for that job? Although I do appreciate that they might both be injured at the same time. Anyway, if so, which one will be the third choice and spend the season warming the bench? Or will Sammi rotate the players a bit?

The position we are really looking to fill is a main striker to replace Leo. Where is that being talked about?
Does 7 goals in 46 games really make Clayton the "free scoring midfielder" he is being touted as? Agree we seem to have an abundance of riches in the midfield at present. Joe Mason has been referred to several times as the replacement for Ashley Barnes - didn't we just get COG for that job? Although I do appreciate that they might both be injured at the same time. Anyway, if so, which one will be the third choice and spend the season warming the bench? Or will Sammi rotate the players a bit? The position we are really looking to fill is a main striker to replace Leo. Where is that being talked about? Max Ripple
  • Score: 2

9:31am Thu 31 Jul 14

Conelli98 says...

Looks like we failed with Ward, we r now looking at konchesky!
Looks like we failed with Ward, we r now looking at konchesky! Conelli98
  • Score: -7

9:43am Thu 31 Jul 14

Eddy B says...

Agree the description "free scoring" is a bit of an exaggeration. Also agree we seem to pack our midfield with a bunch of players much of a muchness. I may be wrong though, I don't recall seeing Clayton play so he may be the new Vicente? Stephens may come good too, I read he was described as "majestic" one game last year. On the other hand is there anyone from Crofts, Augestein, Stephens, JFC, Clayton, who really stands out in the "advanced" midfield role or will they all be on squad rotation? I exclude Toko and Ince who I see as equivalents in that holding role.
Agree the description "free scoring" is a bit of an exaggeration. Also agree we seem to pack our midfield with a bunch of players much of a muchness. I may be wrong though, I don't recall seeing Clayton play so he may be the new Vicente? Stephens may come good too, I read he was described as "majestic" one game last year. On the other hand is there anyone from Crofts, Augestein, Stephens, JFC, Clayton, who really stands out in the "advanced" midfield role or will they all be on squad rotation? I exclude Toko and Ince who I see as equivalents in that holding role. Eddy B
  • Score: -2

9:58am Thu 31 Jul 14

pte says...

CiderBaz wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season?
If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest?
I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say.
Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
Maybe club sees it as an investment. Bit like buying up houses, not to live in them or rent but because they are available cheap and you know you can sell them on later at a profit. You buy players up not just to play them but to sell them like any other commodity

Who knows there might be clubs that are after our midfielders so they need replacing
[quote][p][bold]CiderBaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?[/p][/quote]Maybe club sees it as an investment. Bit like buying up houses, not to live in them or rent but because they are available cheap and you know you can sell them on later at a profit. You buy players up not just to play them but to sell them like any other commodity Who knows there might be clubs that are after our midfielders so they need replacing pte
  • Score: 0

11:19am Thu 31 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

mark by the sea wrote:
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
Agreed. Am also looking forward to seeing Gallagher and Bertrand pmlus our new recruits, of course.

On the subject of Bertrand, isn't he a perfect example what is wrong with football. Chelsea have a really talented player who they give a brief chance to initially, and he plays in the Champions League Final of all things, yet still doesn't get the chance to break through fully into the first team because he's not a ready-made world-class player and because he's English. In my opinion, John Terry wouldn't have made it through to the first team for Chelsea now either, if coming through the system now.

We need to find a way to stop clubs like Chelsea from stockpiling potential talent just to stop other clubs from getting them and improving themselves and the standard of the Premier League, not to mention improving the prospects of the England national team.

Anyway, back to tonight, I'm looking forward to a good match.

Oh and enjoy your visit to The Amex, Sammy Lee! ;0)
[quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]Agreed. Am also looking forward to seeing Gallagher and Bertrand pmlus our new recruits, of course. On the subject of Bertrand, isn't he a perfect example what is wrong with football. Chelsea have a really talented player who they give a brief chance to initially, and he plays in the Champions League Final of all things, yet still doesn't get the chance to break through fully into the first team because he's not a ready-made world-class player and because he's English. In my opinion, John Terry wouldn't have made it through to the first team for Chelsea now either, if coming through the system now. We need to find a way to stop clubs like Chelsea from stockpiling potential talent just to stop other clubs from getting them and improving themselves and the standard of the Premier League, not to mention improving the prospects of the England national team. Anyway, back to tonight, I'm looking forward to a good match. Oh and enjoy your visit to The Amex, Sammy Lee! ;0) Captain Haddock
  • Score: 3

11:46am Thu 31 Jul 14

Jonathan Mouette says...

Rhodes Seagull wrote:
And the chances of this being shown on the Albion Youtube as was the Partick game?
Don't quote me on this but I heard the match is being shown online via the bbc sport website... Hope for your sake it's true... Best of luck. UTA
[quote][p][bold]Rhodes Seagull[/bold] wrote: And the chances of this being shown on the Albion Youtube as was the Partick game?[/p][/quote]Don't quote me on this but I heard the match is being shown online via the bbc sport website... Hope for your sake it's true... Best of luck. UTA Jonathan Mouette
  • Score: 1

12:48pm Thu 31 Jul 14

VegasSeagull says...

What a good day to unveil a new player or two, have them attend the match maybe walk out onto the pitch, give a wave to the crowd, one can but dream.

I read yesterday that the crowd for tonight is only expected to be about 6,000, why so low? It's not like the tickets are over priced and with Southampton being just down the road, I would have thought they would bring a a decent number.
What a good day to unveil a new player or two, have them attend the match maybe walk out onto the pitch, give a wave to the crowd, one can but dream. I read yesterday that the crowd for tonight is only expected to be about 6,000, why so low? It's not like the tickets are over priced and with Southampton being just down the road, I would have thought they would bring a a decent number. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 5

1:18pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season?
If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest?
I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say.
Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
I have seen him on a number of occasions and have always been impressed. He is definitely amongst the best in this division, yes.

You say we are overstocked for central midfielders but the point is Clayton would be an upgrade on what we have (in his position). We should 100% still go for him. Anyone that strengthens our team, as he would, should be pursued with realistic bounds.
[quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]I have seen him on a number of occasions and have always been impressed. He is definitely amongst the best in this division, yes. You say we are overstocked for central midfielders but the point is Clayton would be an upgrade on what we have (in his position). We should 100% still go for him. Anyone that strengthens our team, as he would, should be pursued with realistic bounds. Captain Haddock
  • Score: 1

1:21pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

realist2012 wrote:
CiderBaz wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most
7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple.
[quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CiderBaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most[/p][/quote]7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple. Captain Haddock
  • Score: 2

1:21pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

realist2012 wrote:
CiderBaz wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most
7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple.
[quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CiderBaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most[/p][/quote]7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple. Captain Haddock
  • Score: 0

1:38pm Thu 31 Jul 14

VegasSeagull says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
CiderBaz wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most
7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple.
IMHO you are right Captain, having options and good cover is the key. Last season's horrific injury list meant that the young lads were pressed into action, and luckily for us, and the young lads, for the most part we got away with it, but do we want to face that situation again?

Put the young lads on the park because their inclusion is part of a game plan for that match, and not because they are all we have, as was the case for many matches last year.
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CiderBaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most[/p][/quote]7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple.[/p][/quote]IMHO you are right Captain, having options and good cover is the key. Last season's horrific injury list meant that the young lads were pressed into action, and luckily for us, and the young lads, for the most part we got away with it, but do we want to face that situation again? Put the young lads on the park because their inclusion is part of a game plan for that match, and not because they are all we have, as was the case for many matches last year. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 5

2:42pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Captain Haddock says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Captain Haddock wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
CiderBaz wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?
Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most
7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple.
IMHO you are right Captain, having options and good cover is the key. Last season's horrific injury list meant that the young lads were pressed into action, and luckily for us, and the young lads, for the most part we got away with it, but do we want to face that situation again?

Put the young lads on the park because their inclusion is part of a game plan for that match, and not because they are all we have, as was the case for many matches last year.
Quite right. In fact the lack of depth following the January transfer window perhaps cost us dearly given the makeshift defence at Derby and no doubt several players getting fatigued at various points in the climax to the season without being afforded the rest matches they subsequently required.
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]CiderBaz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]Why do we need even more midfielders? 7 for 3 places! I would rather we play 2 of them. The reason we don't score enough is that we pack the midfield and only play 1 winger and 1 striker. Hence great defensive and poor offensive records recently. If we are only going to play 1 striker, why have more than 3 on the books?[/p][/quote]Couldn't agree more Baz 7 into 3 doesnt go...... Do we then sacrifice the products of our development squad in JFC & Ince? I sincerely hope not and have my fingers crossed that we are focusing our recruitment efforts where they are needed most[/p][/quote]7 into 3 = squad / options / cover for injuries. Clayton offers something different and better than most of what we have. IF we are overstocked as a result, we then loan or sell. Team and squad improved. Simple.[/p][/quote]IMHO you are right Captain, having options and good cover is the key. Last season's horrific injury list meant that the young lads were pressed into action, and luckily for us, and the young lads, for the most part we got away with it, but do we want to face that situation again? Put the young lads on the park because their inclusion is part of a game plan for that match, and not because they are all we have, as was the case for many matches last year.[/p][/quote]Quite right. In fact the lack of depth following the January transfer window perhaps cost us dearly given the makeshift defence at Derby and no doubt several players getting fatigued at various points in the climax to the season without being afforded the rest matches they subsequently required. Captain Haddock
  • Score: 5

3:30pm Thu 31 Jul 14

London Dave says...

Captain Haddock wrote:
realist2012 wrote:
mark by the sea wrote:
Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta
I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season?
If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest?
I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say.
Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?
I have seen him on a number of occasions and have always been impressed. He is definitely amongst the best in this division, yes.

You say we are overstocked for central midfielders but the point is Clayton would be an upgrade on what we have (in his position). We should 100% still go for him. Anyone that strengthens our team, as he would, should be pursued with realistic bounds.
Basically it's a mickey mouse pre-season game.
[quote][p][bold]Captain Haddock[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]realist2012[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mark by the sea[/bold] wrote: Looking forward to tonight, hopefully both sides are getting close to full match fitness and speed, I feel we need a goal scorer from midfield , Clayton is the man.. Also tonight is Sam Gallagher , 19 years old .. This lad has everything apparently , man United, Liverpool watched him last year. Finally we edge closer to real football, Uta[/p][/quote]I wonder how many people touting Clayton to become our 7th centre midfielder have actually watched more than the 2 games he played against us last season? If he is the best CM in the Championship - as i have read on here countless times - surely even some of the lower prem sides would be expressing an interest? I agree we need a goalscoring midfielder but i dont believe that 7 goals in 46 games makes him 'The man' as you say. Fact of the matter is we have probably the strongest competition for central midfield in the division, i am not sure another will help with FFP and seems silly to be spending money on an overstocked position when we still need to fund players in others?[/p][/quote]I have seen him on a number of occasions and have always been impressed. He is definitely amongst the best in this division, yes. You say we are overstocked for central midfielders but the point is Clayton would be an upgrade on what we have (in his position). We should 100% still go for him. Anyone that strengthens our team, as he would, should be pursued with realistic bounds.[/p][/quote]Basically it's a mickey mouse pre-season game. London Dave
  • Score: -1

6:06pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Falmer Wizard says...

Little interest in tonights game,Southampton have lost half of their first team and we are still waiting for 3/4 players to be signed so match has nothing to show.
Little interest in tonights game,Southampton have lost half of their first team and we are still waiting for 3/4 players to be signed so match has nothing to show. Falmer Wizard
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree