Grant Hall has been backed to learn fast by his Birmingham City manager.
The former Albion and Lewes youngster, now on loan at Blues from Tottenham, faces his hometown club today.
Lee Clark said: “He is a player who wants to learn and get better.
“If you have got those types of attributes you have got a right good chance. Especially if you have got the ability Grant has.
“But he knows he is not the finished article and needs to get better.”
Hall is expected to start at the back alongside vastly experienced Paul Robinson today.
He made one Championship appearance for the Seagulls, off the bench in the 3-0 win over Southampton three seasons ago.
He also played home and away against Wrexham in the FA Cup around the same time.
Birmingham could go 4-4-2 with Clayton Donaldson and Lee Novak starting up front.
Blues have gone 18 league games at St Andrew’s without a victory but won 3-1 at home to Cambridge United in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday, albeit after extra-time.
- Albion Analysis: Seagulls so hard to score against on their travels
- Hughton rues 'missed opportunity' for Albion
- Cardiff City 0 Albion 0: How we reported the action from the Cardiff City Stadium
- Murphy's Law for Albion, no moaning if you do not make the starting X1
- Albion star Stephens reveals turning point moment in Cardiff