Albion striker Macca likes the battle for places

Craig Mackail-Smith

Craig Mackail-Smith

First published in Sport by , Chief sports reporter

Albion striker Craig Mackail-Smith is looking forward to the extra competition following his second goal in as many games at the Amex.

The Seagulls yesterday added Spanish striker Adrian Colunga to their squad to increase boss Sami Hyypia’s options up front.

Mackail-Smith, who equalised in Saturday’s 2-1 victory over Bolton after scoring in the Capital One Cup against Cheltenham, told The Argus: “It’s down to the gaffer to bring someone in and have that competition. We want to push on up the league and we are going to need everyone in the squad to do that throughout the season.”

Joao Teixeira's second goal in as many starts on loan from Liverpool for the season secured the points for Albion and lifted them to 13th in the early Championship table following the midweek win at Leeds.

Mackail-Smith, above, said: “You can see his quality on the ball. He glides past people. He can go left foot, right foot. He's got two goals in two (full) games now, so he is going to be a big player for us.

“You could tell as soon as he came in he had that little bit extra, that little bit on the ball. He could see something different, move the ball and move defenders around.

“All the boys have been excited for him to get in the team and the supporters can see what he brings to the team.”

Boss Sami Hyypia will rotate the squad again for tomorrow night’s Capital One Cup second round tie at Swindon.

He said: “When we have Saturday-Tuesday games I’d like to rotate the players so everybody stays fresh. Also mentally it’s always difficult to play all the games.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:50am Mon 25 Aug 14

Singing Seagull, Indonesia says...

Great attitude. Prepared to fight for the shirt and able to see the bigger picture from the context of the club. Exactly what you'd expect from a reinvigorated CMS. Good guy!!

UTA!!
Great attitude. Prepared to fight for the shirt and able to see the bigger picture from the context of the club. Exactly what you'd expect from a reinvigorated CMS. Good guy!! UTA!! Singing Seagull, Indonesia
  • Score: 24

8:51am Mon 25 Aug 14

championshipgull says...

Great article in the Daily Star today, quotes CMS as saying

"We're learning new things with the new boss but I've been given the job of main striker and I aim to convince him I can do it on a regular basis.
"It's what I've waited three years here to do and its so nice to be involved again.
"But I've got to keep scoring goals because that is the job.
"And the fantastic thing is we've got so many players who can get on the ball and find my runs with their passes.
"So if we are going to be successful why shouldn't I aim for 30 goals?"

He looks like he is back and buzzing to me. He got 35 in league one the season before he came to us, so now ready and experienced enough to do it in the Championship.
Great article in the Daily Star today, quotes CMS as saying "We're learning new things with the new boss but I've been given the job of main striker and I aim to convince him I can do it on a regular basis. "It's what I've waited three years here to do and its so nice to be involved again. "But I've got to keep scoring goals because that is the job. "And the fantastic thing is we've got so many players who can get on the ball and find my runs with their passes. "So if we are going to be successful why shouldn't I aim for 30 goals?" He looks like he is back and buzzing to me. He got 35 in league one the season before he came to us, so now ready and experienced enough to do it in the Championship. championshipgull
  • Score: 28

9:11am Mon 25 Aug 14

JeffLomer says...

Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest,

On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!!
Up the Albion!!
Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest, On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!! Up the Albion!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 5

9:28am Mon 25 Aug 14

Hugothepug says...

JeffLomer wrote:
Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest,

On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!!
Up the Albion!!
John Guidetti!!!!
[quote][p][bold]JeffLomer[/bold] wrote: Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest, On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!! Up the Albion!![/p][/quote]John Guidetti!!!! Hugothepug
  • Score: 1

9:37am Mon 25 Aug 14

Asleep in Dorset says...

Hugothepug wrote:
JeffLomer wrote:
Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest,

On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!!
Up the Albion!!
John Guidetti!!!!
morning, how you doing ?
[quote][p][bold]Hugothepug[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]JeffLomer[/bold] wrote: Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest, On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!! Up the Albion!![/p][/quote]John Guidetti!!!![/p][/quote]morning, how you doing ? Asleep in Dorset
  • Score: -2

9:40am Mon 25 Aug 14

Mayfield sweeper says...

CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.
CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience. Mayfield sweeper
  • Score: -29

10:03am Mon 25 Aug 14

pablobrowno says...

JeffLomer wrote:
Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest,

On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!!
Up the Albion!!
Reading leading the chase for Bamford on loan.
[quote][p][bold]JeffLomer[/bold] wrote: Any new additions to our squad is brilliant, we've now got competition in all positions on the pitch, which tells me our squad has come together nicely, any player that doesn't train hard or play well on the pitch knows there place in the starting eleven is not guaranteed or nor should it be to be honest, On another note am I right in thinking Bamford loan to Boro has not gone through, I think he would be a great player to bring in, big strong good on the ball, and it seems for some on here to be important he's TALL!! Up the Albion!![/p][/quote]Reading leading the chase for Bamford on loan. pablobrowno
  • Score: 2

10:07am Mon 25 Aug 14

Joel'sGrandad says...

Mayfield sweeper wrote:
CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.
CMS had a nasty injury and you can't blame him for that. Neither can you blame him for not playing to his strengths. I think Sami will play him in the same way Peterborough got the best out of him.
This could be the best season for him at the Albion. Always gives 100% and a crowd favourite. UTA
[quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.[/p][/quote]CMS had a nasty injury and you can't blame him for that. Neither can you blame him for not playing to his strengths. I think Sami will play him in the same way Peterborough got the best out of him. This could be the best season for him at the Albion. Always gives 100% and a crowd favourite. UTA Joel'sGrandad
  • Score: 14

10:09am Mon 25 Aug 14

rhett butler says...

It has to be bamford on loan to complete our squad, perfick!!!!!
It has to be bamford on loan to complete our squad, perfick!!!!! rhett butler
  • Score: 1

10:33am Mon 25 Aug 14

OldGull says...

Mayfield sweeper wrote:
CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.
You're not often right.
But you're wrong again
[quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.[/p][/quote]You're not often right. But you're wrong again OldGull
  • Score: 16

10:42am Mon 25 Aug 14

brightonup says...

OldGull wrote:
Mayfield sweeper wrote:
CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.
You're not often right.
But you're wrong again
Feeding the troll?
[quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.[/p][/quote]You're not often right. But you're wrong again[/p][/quote]Feeding the troll? brightonup
  • Score: -2

10:49am Mon 25 Aug 14

Jonathan Mouette says...

Talking of frontmen may I quickly congratulate Buckley on his performance at Sunderland yesterday. He performed at a level I rarely saw with us... which hurts just a tad, bt well done nevertheless. And secondly congrats to Will Hoskins who has just signed with Oxford. I hope he stays injury free in which case Oxford have got themselves a real gem... He'll fly in that league.
Now I shall sit back and see what happens between now and Sunday (with a win at Swindon and maybe a run out for Chris Walton).

UTA...!!!
Talking of frontmen may I quickly congratulate Buckley on his performance at Sunderland yesterday. He performed at a level I rarely saw with us... which hurts just a tad, bt well done nevertheless. And secondly congrats to Will Hoskins who has just signed with Oxford. I hope he stays injury free in which case Oxford have got themselves a real gem... He'll fly in that league. Now I shall sit back and see what happens between now and Sunday (with a win at Swindon and maybe a run out for Chris Walton). UTA...!!! Jonathan Mouette
  • Score: 8

11:14am Mon 25 Aug 14

Mayfield sweeper says...

OldGull wrote:
Mayfield sweeper wrote:
CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.
You're not often right.
But you're wrong again
But I am right, shoot the messenger if you want but the facts will still remain the facts!
[quote][p][bold]OldGull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.[/p][/quote]You're not often right. But you're wrong again[/p][/quote]But I am right, shoot the messenger if you want but the facts will still remain the facts! Mayfield sweeper
  • Score: -12

1:00pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Dave in Hastings says...

Mayfield sweeper wrote:
CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.
Keep taking the tablets. Idiot.
[quote][p][bold]Mayfield sweeper[/bold] wrote: CMS one of the most disappointing players ever at the albion, 3.25 million for someone who spends months injured and rarely scores. Hopefully we can recoup some of the money if he stays fit long enough to be sold. Perhaps this is why we rarely spend any money these days, Bloom got his fingers burnt from this experience.[/p][/quote]Keep taking the tablets. Idiot. Dave in Hastings
  • Score: 4

1:12pm Mon 25 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

The price of a player has nothing to do with how he will perform for the buying club, the price is only about supply and demand. Zaha, bought for a huge sum and has done what? Ulloa, bought for 75% less than Zaha and look at what he has achieved. Buckley hasn't shown anything at Sunderland, compare his 'today value,' to that of Rohan Ince, once has dipped and the other risen, IMHO.

Whether the Spaniard came on a free or at a cost of 1 million means nothing, what he does on the park is all that counts. There are many on here who think Hoskins will score goals now that he has dropped down to the lower division, could we not say the same about our new signing, the top level of Spanish football is a couple of steps above the standard we face each week.
The price of a player has nothing to do with how he will perform for the buying club, the price is only about supply and demand. Zaha, bought for a huge sum and has done what? Ulloa, bought for 75% less than Zaha and look at what he has achieved. Buckley hasn't shown anything at Sunderland, compare his 'today value,' to that of Rohan Ince, once has dipped and the other risen, IMHO. Whether the Spaniard came on a free or at a cost of 1 million means nothing, what he does on the park is all that counts. There are many on here who think Hoskins will score goals now that he has dropped down to the lower division, could we not say the same about our new signing, the top level of Spanish football is a couple of steps above the standard we face each week. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 6

3:54pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Jonathan Mouette says...

I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea.

Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use.

UTA
I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea. Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use. UTA Jonathan Mouette
  • Score: 1

4:33pm Mon 25 Aug 14

VegasSeagull says...

Jonathan Mouette wrote:
I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea.

Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use.

UTA
You are very correct to pull me up on the Buckley comment I made, my intent was to make the comment about Bridcutt but I wrote, Buckley.
I senoir moment perhaps? But I am not that senoir, oh well.
I agree Buckley had a very good match and I think there will be more to come..
[quote][p][bold]Jonathan Mouette[/bold] wrote: I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea. Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use. UTA[/p][/quote]You are very correct to pull me up on the Buckley comment I made, my intent was to make the comment about Bridcutt but I wrote, Buckley. I senoir moment perhaps? But I am not that senoir, oh well. I agree Buckley had a very good match and I think there will be more to come.. VegasSeagull
  • Score: 1

6:50pm Mon 25 Aug 14

JeffLomer says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Jonathan Mouette wrote:
I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea.

Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use.

UTA
You are very correct to pull me up on the Buckley comment I made, my intent was to make the comment about Bridcutt but I wrote, Buckley.
I senoir moment perhaps? But I am not that senoir, oh well.
I agree Buckley had a very good match and I think there will be more to come..
Will was outstanding in the first half even mom that half, didn't look out off depth what so ever, to me Bridcutt looks out off his depth, quality for us but not premiership quality!!
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonathan Mouette[/bold] wrote: I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea. Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use. UTA[/p][/quote]You are very correct to pull me up on the Buckley comment I made, my intent was to make the comment about Bridcutt but I wrote, Buckley. I senoir moment perhaps? But I am not that senoir, oh well. I agree Buckley had a very good match and I think there will be more to come..[/p][/quote]Will was outstanding in the first half even mom that half, didn't look out off depth what so ever, to me Bridcutt looks out off his depth, quality for us but not premiership quality!! JeffLomer
  • Score: 0

11:40pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Mancgulled says...

VegasSeagull wrote:
Jonathan Mouette wrote:
I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea.

Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use.

UTA
You are very correct to pull me up on the Buckley comment I made, my intent was to make the comment about Bridcutt but I wrote, Buckley.
I senoir moment perhaps? But I am not that senoir, oh well.
I agree Buckley had a very good match and I think there will be more to come..
Glad to see you say you made a mistake there because like Jonathan I thought I simply can't let that one slide because after watching the Brighton game on Saturday I drove up North to see relatives whereupon, unbeknown to me my brother had a couple of tickets to the Man U game quite freakily as he is devoutly City. Anyway I spent the journey to the ground telling him about Will - about how he had started at Brighton like a shining light and then softened in impact towards the end of his BHA tenure. I felt really pi55ed off sitting there watching him in Sunderland colours because he was truly outstanding. Most of the Stretford end seemed t agree as well. Anyway I didn't reply because I don't believe you should unless you have anything good to say - that and the fact that I agreed with what you say about Colunga scoring goals at a far superior level than ours - Glad I went North this weekend as I would really hate not to be at the next home game - cant wait after Saturday and watching the videos -- and yeah -- for all those of you wondering -- MU were Sh**e!
[quote][p][bold]VegasSeagull[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jonathan Mouette[/bold] wrote: I really don't want to get into petty arguments Vegas but your comment about Buckley cannot go by without comment... According to you he hasn't shown anything at Sunderland... Really? His first full game at home to ManU was better than I have ever seen him play at the Albion - or at least in the last 2 years. As I said in my piece I find that a tad hard to swallow but it's true nevertheless. There may be some truth in your argument but you have really not chosen good examples to make your point. Even Ulloa has still a lot to prove, in spite of scoring inhis first outing. He hardly has a touch at Chelsea. Never mind Vegas, I get the point - just lousy examples to use. UTA[/p][/quote]You are very correct to pull me up on the Buckley comment I made, my intent was to make the comment about Bridcutt but I wrote, Buckley. I senoir moment perhaps? But I am not that senoir, oh well. I agree Buckley had a very good match and I think there will be more to come..[/p][/quote]Glad to see you say you made a mistake there because like Jonathan I thought I simply can't let that one slide because after watching the Brighton game on Saturday I drove up North to see relatives whereupon, unbeknown to me my brother had a couple of tickets to the Man U game quite freakily as he is devoutly City. Anyway I spent the journey to the ground telling him about Will - about how he had started at Brighton like a shining light and then softened in impact towards the end of his BHA tenure. I felt really pi55ed off sitting there watching him in Sunderland colours because he was truly outstanding. Most of the Stretford end seemed t agree as well. Anyway I didn't reply because I don't believe you should unless you have anything good to say - that and the fact that I agreed with what you say about Colunga scoring goals at a far superior level than ours - Glad I went North this weekend as I would really hate not to be at the next home game - cant wait after Saturday and watching the videos -- and yeah -- for all those of you wondering -- MU were Sh**e! Mancgulled
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree