Sussex fought back with the new ball to gain a slight advantage after the first day of their Championship clash with Surrey at The Oval.

A battling century from Gary Wilson and a fluent 50 from Vikram Solanki had put the hosts on top on a good batting wicket after winning the toss.

Surrey had reached 238-3 when the new ball was taken but went on to lose four quick wickets to finish on 301-7.

Chris Jordan removed Wilson for 124 to finish with figures of 2-82 on his return to The Oval having been released by Surrey in the winter. 

Steve Magoffin (2-58) removed Steven Davies and Jason Roy in the space of five balls before James Anyon (3-69) picked up his third wicket by removing Zander de Bruyn shortly before the close.

Sussex had got off to a perfect start in their bid to win at the Oval for the first time since 1994 after skipper Ed Joyce had won the toss and been asked to field.

Graeme Smith had made just three when he gloved a ball from James Anyon which lifted off a length to Ben Brown behind the stumps. It continued a poor start to the season for Smith who made just two in the opening game against Somerset.

Rory Burns and Gary Wilson dropped anchor for the rest of the morning session as Surrey reached lunch on 58-1.

Sussex enjoyed more success straight after the restart with Chris Jordan having Burns caught behind for 32 to leave Surrey in trouble on 63-2.

Burns' partnership of 58 with Wilson had taken 179 balls but the arrival of Vikram Solanki to join Wilson saw Surrey up the tempo.

The pair put on 118 off 181 balls with Solanki bringing up his 50 off just 84 balls - compared to Wilson's 117 balls - as Surrey reached tea without further loss at 181-2.

Solanki's impressive knock came to an end first ball after tea as he was strangled down the leg side by Anyon for 51 to give Brown his third catch.

Wilson progressed to his century off 207 balls and put on 66 with Zander de Bruyn before being the first of a clatter of wickets when Sussex took the new ball.

The Ireland international was slightly unfortunate to be trapped lbw by a ball from Jordan which kept a little low for 124.

At that stage Surrey were still in the box seat at 247-4 but Steve Magoffin removed Steven Davies and Jason Roy in the same over to give Sussex the edge at 260-6.

Anyon completed a good comeback by Sussex when he had Zander de Bruyn lbw for 31 before Gareth Batty and Chris Tremlett got Surrey safely through to the close.