The death of Constance Marten and Mark Gordon’s baby remains a mystery months after her death, a coroner said.

Victoria Marten was found in a locked shed on an allotment after a nationwide manhunt for her parents.

A coroner in Sussex revealed the cause of the two-month-old tot’s death has still not been established, with no date of birth confirmed.

Her tiny body was found on March 1 after her parents disappeared in January before being arrested near Stanmer Villas in Hollingdean.

A post-mortem examination at Guys and St Thomas Hospital, London on March 3 failed to reach a conclusion on why she died.

Assistant Coroner Joanne Andrews told an inquest hearing at Horsham the cause of death remains un-ascertained.

The coroner said the inquest was suspended while the circumstances of her death were investigated by police.

Marten, 36, and Gordon, 49, were found in Brighton on February 27, with Victoria found two days later.

The couple were subsequently charged with manslaughter, concealing the birth of a child and perverting the course of justice.

At another hearing at the Old Bailey yesterday, the pair were further charged with child cruelty and causing or allowing the death of a child.


It is claimed they caused the baby’s death by their own “unlawful act” or failed to “take such steps as could reasonably have been expected” to protect the baby.

Judge Lucraft put a plea and case management hearing back from August 18 to September 22 and confirmed the provisional trial has been set for January 2 next year.

Officers from Sussex Police and the Met Police scoured the city for the child for days after Marten and Gordon were arrested.

Sussex Police Sergeant Alec Barrett led the team running door-to-door enquiries in an attempt to find Victoria. He said: "We put in every effort and ounce of our ability to try and find them.

"We thought every effort could locate that child and they would still be alive and we could save them."

A first post-mortem was unable to provide a provisional cause of death.