Fire crews rescued a dog from a burning flat after an electric bike burst into flames.

Firefighters from Crawley, Horsham and Surrey were called to the property in Bellevue Farm Road in Pease Pottage, near Crawley, in the early hours of the morning.

Emergency services rescued the dog from the flat and extinguished the fire.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that the fire involved an electric bike battery.

The Argus: Fire crews tackled the blaze in the early hours of this morningFire crews tackled the blaze in the early hours of this morning (Image: Sussex News and Pictures)


A spokeswoman for the fire service said: “We were called at 12.29am this morning to reports of a fire involving a domestic property on Bellevue Farm Road in Pease Pottage.

“Joint fire control mobilised fire engines from Crawley and Horsham to the scene, along with crews from Surrey Fire and Rescue Service.

“Upon arrival, crews were faced with a fire involving an electric bike battery.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus rescued a dog from the property and extinguished the fire using two high-pressure hose reels and a covering jet.

“Crews remained on scene to ventilate the property before leaving the scene shortly after 2.15am.”