A supermarket has removed a “deadly” dog treat from sale after the serious injuries cause to pets were revealed by The Argus.
Supermarket chain Tesco has issued a notice withdrawing Bob Martin ham bones from sale after The Argus raised concerns from the owners of dogs that had died or been seriously injured by the snacks.
However manufacturer Bob Martin – a well respected pet product company – has refused to say whether it would be removing the bones from sale at other shops.
Two-year-old miniature schnauzer Burtie died on Christmas Day when a shard off the bone ruptured his stomach.
Two more dog owners then came forward to report their pets had also been injured by the product – sold in Tescos stores in Sussex.
The supermarket has now removed the bones from the shelves of their stores while they investigate the injuries.
Burtie was bought the bone from the Tesco branch in New Church Road, Hove, as a present by a friend of owner James Lancaster, of Worthing.
Dog bone advice
The friend received a letter from Tesco’s customer services team assuring him that the supermarket “would never knowingly sell a product that could cause such harm” and that the product was being withdrawn.
Mr Lancaster and partner Anna Carey were heartbroken when Burtie died on Christmas Day.
Vet Marc Abraham, of Grove Lodge Vets in Worthing, urged dog owners not to feed their dogs bones because of the risk of injury.
David Morris, from Upper Beeding, said his miniature schnauzer Tia also nearly died after eating one of the treats bought at the Shoreham branch of the supermarket and called for Tesco to remove them from sale.
A spokeswoman for Tesco said: “We were very sorry to hear about the incidents involving this product and we are in touch with the customers affected.
"We’ve taken this item off our shelves while an urgent review is carried out with our supplier.”
A spokeswoman for Bob Martin said: “We take product quality and suitability very seriously and are continuing to investigate the incident with Burtie’s owners and Tesco.”
See the latest news headlines from The Argus:
- Man suffers burn injuries after blaze at Brighton garage
- First step in £35million scheme for Corn Exchange and Studio Theatre
- Guns and machete found in pond by dog
- Pain cured on a limb and a prayer
- Trying to tackle loneliness