A SHOCKING video shows the moment a motorcyclist was paralysed after crashing into a van which suddenly pulled out in front of him.

The chilling clip was released by police after van driver Graham Ashen, 58, was found guilty of causing serious injury by dangerous driving following a trial.

Footage shows how the motorcyclist was travelling through Ditchling Common when the Citroen van pulled out from a junction.

The unnamed rider was left paralysed from the chest down following the "terrible collision" on Folders Lane East.

After Ashen was banned from the road, his 63-year-old victim's family released the footage to highlight the impact of dangerous driving.

Investigating officer Tudor Wells, of the serious collision investigations unit, said: “We’ve released this footage with the full consent of the victim and his family to highlight the consequences of careless driving.

"Had Ashen stopped and paid proper attention to other road users, and given way as he was instructed to do by the road signage and road markings, then this terrible collision could have been avoided.

The Argus: The motorcyclist was flipped over from the collisionThe motorcyclist was flipped over from the collision

“By failing to follow these simple rules, he has caused another man to sustain life-changing injuries.

“It’s important to add that the motorcyclist was wearing high visibility clothing and was correctly positioned in the road at the time of the collision, and was in no way at fault.

“We will continue to investigate serious collisions and bring to justice those who compromise the safety of themselves and others on our roads in Sussex.”

A doctor stopped at the scene and helped to administer CPR, before the motorcyclist was flown to St George’s Hospital in London with multiple injuries.

It was confirmed that the man, who is from Bognor, was paralysed from the chest down.

He continues to receive rehabilitation treatment following the incident on 27 August, 2019.

Watch the video here:

Ashen, of Ropeland Way, Horsham voluntarily attended police interview and was charged with careless driving and causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

He pleaded guilty to careless driving but not guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving.

The case went for trial at Lewes Crown Court on August 18, where Ashen was found guilty of dangerous driving.

Yesterday, he was sentenced to 21 months’ imprisonment – suspended for two years – and disqualified from driving for four years.

Ashen must take an extended re-test should he wish to drive again.

He was also ordered required to carry out 250 hours of unpaid work and pay £3,500 costs.

Have you got a story for us? Email news@theargus.co.uk or contact us here.

Follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Sign up to our newsletter to get updates sent straight to your inbox.

You can also call us on 01273 021 400.